SP 3.0?

SoundGame

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1500 on: 13 Feb 2012, 05:59 pm »
http://www.unilet.net/bryston-sp3-surround-processor-finally-on-demonstration-at-unilet-sound-and-vision-first-review.html

Interesting comparison from across the pond.

james

Very interesting article and perspective.  I believe in the purest sense it would read that the SP3 is the better, more purist audiophile pre/pro; however, the Anthem D2v is no slouch, slighly drier but has got all the goodies of which a formidable room correction software tops the list. 

Is room correction something that Bryston has ever considered developing, even if a stand-along add on feature to the SP3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1501 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:13 pm »
Very interesting article and perspective.  I believe in the purest sense it would read that the SP3 is the better, more purist audiophile pre/pro; however, the Anthem D2v is no slouch, slighly drier but has got all the goodies of which a formidable room correction software tops the list. 

Is room correction something that Bryston has ever considered developing, even if a stand-along add on feature to the SP3?

No - we will not use it  - it is the wrong thing to do - you are changing the on axis response of the speaker for a specific location in the room and the total sound power response into the room goes to crap :duh:

james

SoundGame

« Reply #1502 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:26 pm »
No - we will not use it  - it is the wrong thing to do - you are changing the on axis response of the speaker for a specific location in the room and the total sound power response into the room goes to crap :duh:

james

Hi James, I appreciate your candid comments on the room correction software.  I personally believe that room setup and treatment is the best way to handle it and room correction is the quick and dirty alternative, which seems to meet the masses needs.

What I would argue is that room analysis software would be helpful.  This would allow you to detect issues in the room on a measured grid of specific points, which you would then need to address by a combination of speaker placement and room treatments.  More of a diagnosis software to help take best steps on your room.  For those of us with experience and knowledge, this room analysis perhaps is done by ear and proven methods but that might be a discussion for another thread i.e. room setup/speaker placement etc.

Mag

« Reply #1503 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:30 pm »
I'm on the fence on this issue. With my Sp2 I'm getting better sound than what I was getting with my market brand AV/receiver that has auto calibration.

However because I already had speaker placement, distance and time delays, balance set by AV/receiver. I knew the parameter settings for the SP2, which sounds excellent to my ears without additional tweaking. 8)

SoundGame

« Reply #1504 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:44 pm »
I did see that IMAX adopted Audyssey in at least 7 theatres which is growing.  I'm also aware that the pro-versions of these room correction applications can accomodate up to 32 different seating positions, so it's less of a perfect seat (though that may be the case) and more of a larger sweet spot, as it were.

Room correction is not something that has ever taken traction for stereo setups..you only tend to see it in connection with multi-channel - if that says anything.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1505 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:40 am »
James,

has the SP3 more than one TIDA710 chip implemented?

thanks,

al.

mv038856

« Reply #1506 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:12 pm »

james

...and I was hoping that James' work with the DSP based crossover for the Model T speaker prototype had convinced him of the magic a DSP can do to the sonic experience if used the "right way"...  :lol:

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1507 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »
James,

has the SP3 more than one TIDA710 chip implemented?

thanks,

al.

Hi,

Yes 2.

james :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1508 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:24 pm »
...and I was hoping that James' work with the DSP based crossover for the Model T speaker prototype had convinced him of the magic a DSP can do to the sonic experience if used the "right way"...  :lol:

Cheers!

Markus

Hi marius,

Actually I have learned a lot with the speaker DSP design and one of them is don't screw with the speakers power response. :thumb:

james

perose

« Reply #1509 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm »

13: TOSLINK DIGITAL AUDIO OPTICAL INPUTS
The SP3 offers two assignable TOSLINK optical inputs.
These can be designated to any input using
the OS menu (“Other Settings”)on the LCD screen.
Please note that if you choose to assign an optical
input to an input with a coaxial input, the coaxial will
be over-ridden and the optical input signal will be
used by the SP3.
The pro model replaces the two TOSLINK connectors
with a single AES/EBU Digital connector.

I'm wondering if you can tell me what the digital OUTPUT on the SP3 does? Seems as if there isn't a proper description in the user manual. Also, the manual discusses 2 digital INPUTs vs the three shown in on the rear panel. Is number 3 assignable?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1510 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:14 pm »

I'm wondering if you can tell me what the digital OUTPUT on the SP3 does? Seems as if there isn't a proper description in the user manual. Also, the manual discusses 2 digital INPUTs vs the three shown in on the rear panel. Is number 3 assignable?

Hi,

There are 3 Toslink inputs - all 3 assignable.

The digital output is a STEREO Down-mix from any Digital or Analog source. This signal also appears at the AUX outs, the Zone outputs and Toslink and Headphone outputs.

james

JeffO

« Reply #1511 on: 15 Feb 2012, 03:17 am »
Hi,

There are 3 Toslink inputs - all 3 assignable.

The digital output is a STEREO Down-mix from any Digital or Analog source. This signal also appears at the AUX outs, the Zone outputs and Toslink and Headphone outputs.

james

What resolution does the digital output output and is it selectable? 

Alpha10

« Reply #1512 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm »
Woohoo, just heard my SP3 is with my dealer in the UK, so I can tomorrow swap out my loaner for the real one, at last all blue LEDs  :oops:

James I will have a look and see which firmware is on it, I may bug you to find out what the latest version is  :D

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1513 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:13 pm »
What resolution does the digital output output and is it selectable?

Hi JeffO

48/24 downmix.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1514 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:13 pm »
Woohoo, just heard my SP3 is with my dealer in the UK, so I can tomorrow swap out my loaner for the real one, at last all blue LEDs  :oops:

James I will have a look and see which firmware is on it, I may bug you to find out what the latest version is  :D

Cheers

Great News :thumb: - yes let me know and I can send you update if needed.

james

Marius

« Reply #1515 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:51 pm »
Hi James,

Please forgive me for not searching the whole forum-topic, but what amplifiers would suggest combine optimally with my 28b's and a future 3.0? I could not find any suggestions in the pdf on the bryston website.

I'm trying to figure out wether I would have to replace my bp26 with the 3.o and only add extra amplification, or have a special HT setup in the other room, and leave the 28b's in the stereo, giving the multi channel setup a more balanced, as in overall power equality, per speaker setup.....

That is to say, I hope your advice would't be to add a couple of extra 28b's...

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1516 on: 15 Feb 2012, 07:04 pm »
Hi James,

Please forgive me for not searching the whole forum-topic, but what amplifiers would suggest combine optimally with my 28b's and a future 3.0? I could not find any suggestions in the pdf on the bryston website.

I'm trying to figure out wether I would have to replace my bp26 with the 3.o and only add extra amplification, or have a special HT setup in the other room, and leave the 28b's in the stereo, giving the multi channel setup a more balanced, as in overall power equality, per speaker setup.....

That is to say, I hope your advice would't be to add a couple of extra 28b's...

Thanks,
Marius

Hi marius,

Good question and it gets asked a lot.  I think integrating a Surround system into the same room as a dedicated stereo setup can be problematic only because the speaker setup changes a bit.  In Stereo you typically want a Triangle positioning of the left/right speakers/listening area vs a Surround setup where the front left and right speakers are at a more shallow angle (60%).

So if sharing the room for both Stereo and Surround I would set the room up to optimize STEREO and fill in the rest with Surround speakers.  The SP3 is a terrific choice if you want an all in one preamp/processor solution.

As for power requirements I generally find 1/2 the power you are using on the Front Left/Right speakers on the Center and Surrounds works well in most setups - assuming comparable speakers at Center and Surround locations.

james

Marius

« Reply #1517 on: 15 Feb 2012, 07:55 pm »
ok James thanks, I thought as much.

All of this translates into what amplifier setup?

Shared -  with the 28b's for left right needs which brystons for the surrounds?
Dedicated - could do with less power? I'd have a room of 25m2. Which amplifier setup would be optimal? 9b, 3b?

I wouldn't be able to afford to many extra 28b's or 14b's (alas, alas) so that could be a reason to settle for a dedicated HT setup with less power?

Thanks,
Marius

Marius

Hi marius,

Good question and it gets asked a lot.  I think integrating a Surround system into the same room as a dedicated stereo setup can be problematic only because the speaker setup changes a bit.  In Stereo you typically want a Triangle positioning of the left/right speakers/listening area vs a Surround setup where the front left and right speakers are at a more shallow angle (60%).

So if sharing the room for both Stereo and Surround I would set the room up to optimize STEREO and fill in the rest with Surround speakers.  The SP3 is a terrific choice if you want an all in one preamp/processor solution.

As for power requirements I generally find 1/2 the power you are using on the Front Left/Right speakers on the Center and Surrounds works well in most setups - assuming comparable speakers at Center and Surround locations.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1518 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:09 pm »
ok James thanks, I thought as much.

All of this translates into what amplifier setup?

Shared -  with the 28b's for left right needs which brystons for the surrounds?
Dedicated - could do with less power? I'd have a room of 25m2. Which amplifier setup would be optimal? 9b, 3b?

I wouldn't be able to afford to many extra 28b's or 14b's (alas, alas) so that could be a reason to settle for a dedicated HT setup with less power?

Thanks,
Marius

Marius

Hi marius,

If a 5.1 ... I would use a 6B for the center and surrounds with the 28B's. If 7.1 then 6B and 3B.

If a dedicated setup for surround and 5.1 and more efficent speakers a 9B would be fine.  If 7.1 a 4B and a 9B.

james

Marius

« Reply #1519 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:15 pm »
thanks!
Hi marius,

If a 5.1 ... I would use a 6B for the center and surrounds with the 28B's. If 7.1 then 6B and 3B.

If a dedicated setup for surround and 5.1 and more efficent speakers a 9B would be fine.  If 7.1 a 4B and a 9B.

james