Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1480 on: 25 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm »

SoundGame

« Reply #1481 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm »
New SP3 ADVERT:

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/brochures/SP3_BROCHURE_ADVERT.pdf

james

Hi James - this is a sharp looking ad.  One suggestion is that you change the wording to be more accurate, as follows (re: 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence):

With today’s increased clarity and dynamic range in recordings
and non–compressed movie sound-tracks (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD
Master Audio, etc.),

Ritchief

« Reply #1482 on: 27 Jan 2012, 08:59 am »
Query on 7Bsst2 Gain Settings with the SP3

Extract of 7Bsst2 manual
"4. Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch.
The optimum gain setting will depend upon the source pre-amp operating level, and or personal preference.
The 1v setting is used when the source is single-ended, or from a transformer coupled balanced source.
This is the home theatre setting for single ended or un-balanced operation.
The 1v setting provides the most amplifier gain - 29 dB. (1v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) (noise -110 dB)
The 2v setting is used when the sources output is actively Balanced.
This is the home theatre setting for balanced operation Or use this setting with any systems where
the volume control rotation is limited to the bottom half of the control or less.
The 2v setting provides an amplifier gain - 23 dB. ( 2v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) ( noise -113 dB )"

This may seem like an odd question, but I was wondering which setting you would recommend with the SP3 connected to the 7Bsst2 and PMC MB2i speakers. I have both XLR Starquad and RCA Anthems 2 connected.

I have switched between 1v and 2v with both XLR and RCA, but to me the only difference is the volume either increases or decreases.

Technically speaking, which setting would be best given my system.

In terms of listening volume, my usual range is between -40 > -25 for 2ch, and -30 > -15 for films.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1483 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:17 am »

Hi James - this is a sharp looking ad.  One suggestion is that you change the wording to be more accurate, as follows (re: 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence):

With today’s increased clarity and dynamic range in recordings
and non–compressed movie sound-tracks (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD
Master Audio, etc.),

Yes we caught that - thanks :thumb:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1484 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:25 am »
Query on 7Bsst2 Gain Settings with the SP3

Extract of 7Bsst2 manual
"4. Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch.
The optimum gain setting will depend upon the source pre-amp operating level, and or personal preference.
The 1v setting is used when the source is single-ended, or from a transformer coupled balanced source.
This is the home theatre setting for single ended or un-balanced operation.
The 1v setting provides the most amplifier gain - 29 dB. (1v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) (noise -110 dB)
The 2v setting is used when the sources output is actively Balanced.
This is the home theatre setting for balanced operation Or use this setting with any systems where
the volume control rotation is limited to the bottom half of the control or less.
The 2v setting provides an amplifier gain - 23 dB. ( 2v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) ( noise -113 dB )"

This may seem like an odd question, but I was wondering which setting you would recommend with the SP3 connected to the 7Bsst2 and PMC MB2i speakers. I have both XLR Starquad and RCA Anthems 2 connected.

I have switched between 1v and 2v with both XLR and RCA, but to me the only difference is the volume either increases or decreases.

Technically speaking, which setting would be best given my system.

In terms of listening volume, my usual range is between -40 > -25 for 2ch, and -30 > -15 for films.

Thanks.

Hi Ritchief

It really depends on the sensitivity of you speakers more that anything. You generally get a slightly better noise floor with the higher voltage settings but it makes the volume control less sensitive.  I find with my Magnepan theater setup at home I generally run the SP3 volume control around -25 for normal general listening and -15 to -20 for movie watching.  The Magnepans have low sensitivity so I generally use the 1 volt setting for the extra gain.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1485 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:38 am »

Sent: January-27-12 2:47 AM
To: James Tanner; Melissa Myles
Subject: Thank You!

Hi James & Melissa,

Thank you very much for taking care of me with the SP3 & 6B amplifier. It is the most significant electronics upgrade I have experienced, and thought you might be interested in hearing about it.
The quality of sound that I normally only experience in (treated) demo rooms is now in my (far from acoustically ideal, untreated) living room.

At first, I resisted the temptation to install both pieces and instead just replaced my Classe' 400 with the 6B. I was amazed at the increase in detail, soundstage, and clarity. I listened to it for a few hours being driven by multiple sources through my Krell HTS. Fantastic.

Last night I replaced the Krell HTS with the SP3, I was amazed even more. I listened to many familiar pieces and do not understand how you could have extracted so much detail from a Redbook CD bitstream.

I heard an immense amount of detail that I did not know existed on CDs and DVDs that I have owned for years. It sounded like the band or orchestra was in front of me and I'm thrilled with the increased amount of presence, almost seeing where the musicians are playing.

I think back to our conversation James when I asked you how these pieces of equipment might compare, and I admire your modesty and how you focused the discussion on features instead. My Thiel CS 3.7's are singing better than I thought they could - and - the break-in period has just started!

My thanks, admiration, and respect.

Best,
Marc

JeffO

« Reply #1486 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:54 am »
Hi Guys,

This is great info - I am in Vegas but I will try and get some answers for you when I get back.

Yes as far as I have been told that HDMI sends the Video in packets and behind each packet they stick some audio - so at the other end the long distances between the video packets creates some serious audio jitter in comparison to a constant digital bitstream like in SPDIF?

james

I understand jitter over HDMI for an LPCM signal but if you send DD or DTS over HDMI the processor has to decode it and generate a new bitstream for the DAC.  Does this process not clock the data to the internal clock of the SP3, eliminating the jitter introduced by the HDMI data transfer?

Jeff

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1487 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:48 am »
Sent: January-29-12 6:34 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP3

Well Well James,

You have a winner in the SP3!
I picked it up this weekend and hooked it up today I LOVE the sound!

Thank you and all the Bryston Staff for such a great product!

Gerry

skunark

« Reply #1488 on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:18 pm »
I understand jitter over HDMI for an LPCM signal but if you send DD or DTS over HDMI the processor has to decode it and generate a new bitstream for the DAC.  Does this process not clock the data to the internal clock of the SP3, eliminating the jitter introduced by the HDMI data transfer?

Jeff

Like lpcm, dd and dts experiences the same issue with clock recovery issues and unless it's truly re-clocked (and it sounds like the SP3 doesn't do that) the digital audio will introduce jitter based on the video frame type.  So changing the audio type will change the requirement on how much data to be sent and that will most likely cause a different frame format to be used and would change the frequency at which the video is sent.  This frequency is what is used for the bulk of the hdmi devices out there for the audio clock recovery, this is the first place where jitter is introduced (not the hdmi cable :)).    The bulk of the HDMI solutions have this same issue, but the solution is to design your own clock recovery logic.

SHV

« Reply #1489 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:23 pm »
Kal Rubinson has a review of the SP3 coming out in May;  might force me to buy Stereophile again after a 20+ year moratorium.  (I got tired of reading endless variations of the audio equivalent of the "Emperor's New Clothes" :>)

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1490 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:33 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers                                                                                      January 2012
SUBJECT: BRYSTON SP3 Customer Feedback

Sent: January-31-12 3:58 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: RE: SP3

Hi James

This SP-3 thing sounds so good it’s still amazing to me, even after all this time.   

I have used it with two different sets of power amps, and I find that it is making my system MUCH more enjoyable sonically than ever before.  For a PrePro to do this is more than amazing.  I have replaced a highly regarded tube preamp (it sold immediately, lots of demand) and the SP3 sounds way better than it did.   And for it to sound so good via HDMI is quite a feat also.  I no longer need all those analog cables going from my universal player to the prepro, as I just use HDMI and it sounds better than ever, even on SACD despite that you are committing the reported mortal sin of converting that to PCM prior to conversion to analog. My SACD’s have never sounded better. 

So, this thing is a world beater. I have tried every other pre/pro they have, and some they don’t, and the SP3 is just way better than anything else out there. 

Been waiting for 15 years for someone to get this right. 

Thanks,
Bill -  Microsoft Corporation            

Vipers

« Reply #1491 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:45 pm »
Thanks,
Bill -  Microsoft Corporation

James, that wouldn't be Bill Gates would it by any chance :o

saveloy

« Reply #1492 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:01 am »
James, that wouldn't be Bill Gates would it by any chance :o

Jesus!  That's what I was thinking.  That fella doesn't deserve an SP3!

Kyri

srb

« Reply #1493 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:15 am »
With over 90,000 employees worldwide and 55,000 of those in the U.S., what are the chances of there being more than one "Bill"?

Vipers

« Reply #1494 on: 4 Feb 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hi James,

I got my new BCD-1 yesterday, you can't beat un boxing a new piece of Bryston kit :)

I'm at work at the moment, but I was just wondering can you program the BR2 to control the volume on the SP3 as I could with my BP26, just curious really.

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1495 on: 4 Feb 2012, 04:35 pm »
Hi James,

I got my new BCD-1 yesterday, you can't beat un boxing a new piece of Bryston kit :)

I'm at work at the moment, but I was just wondering can you program the BR2 to control the volume on the SP3 as I could with my BP26, just curious really.

Thanks,

Yes - it is the same code as the SP2 volume control.

james

Vipers

« Reply #1496 on: 4 Feb 2012, 07:15 pm »
Yes - it is the same code as the SP2 volume control.

james

Thanks James, I've just managed to beat the snow home so I'll have a play tonight.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1497 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

Got this today from Joey regarding Harry Pearson of Absolute Sound Magazine fame using the Bryston SP3 Processor in his system.

james

Sent: February-12-12 1:54 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: Re: SP3

James,

I showed Harry how to use the SP-3 yesterday in his room 1 and he was immediately enchanted by the sound.

We ended up watching an entire movie (even though HP had begun the day saying that he just wanted to know how it worked and wanted to rest) and marveling at the clarity of dialog.

Hope all is well.

Best,
Joey

JeffO

« Reply #1498 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm »
Is anyone with an SP3 using it to do the bass management to integrate a sub (or 2) for 2 channel listening ?  If so what are the results? 

Jeff

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1499 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:39 pm »