SP 3.0?

MellowVelo

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1440 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:25 pm »
The problem with HDMI is it was first a Video connection and then added Audio almost as an afterthought.  The HDMI seems to have a lot more inherent  jitter than AES/EBU or BNC or COAX.

james

Doesn't the BDA-1 resample and reclock the incoming digital signal? So I would imagine that the inherent jitter of HDMI could be overcome.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1441 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:36 pm »
Doesn't the BDA-1 resample and reclock the incoming digital signal? So I would imagine that the inherent jitter of HDMI could be overcome.

Yes the BDP-1 does re-sample and re-clock- but you can not get rid of incoming jitter - regardless of what some tell you :duh:

james

MellowVelo

« Reply #1442 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:46 pm »
Yes the BDP-1 does re-sample and re-clock- but you can not get rid of incoming jitter - regardless of what some tell you :duh:

james

Thanks, James. This is really enlightening. What is the purpose then of re-sampling and re-clocking if it doesn't reduce incoming jitter? Does it just eliminate further jitter from being introduced into the signal?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1443 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:51 pm »
Thanks, James. This is really enlightening. What is the purpose then of re-sampling and re-clocking if it doesn't reduce incoming jitter? Does it just eliminate further jitter from being introduced into the signal?

Hi,

Because you do not know what signal is coming in your have to re-clock and re-sample so you can deal with it in the way you wish.

james

saveloy

« Reply #1444 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:40 pm »
Hi,

Because you do not know what signal is coming in your have to re-clock and re-sample so you can deal with it in the way you wish.

james

James,

Is this not where asynchronous DACs come into play?  Taking control of the master clock. 

Kyri

adprom

« Reply #1445 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:43 am »

james

Isn't that the entire point of reclocking the signal though? Unless the jitter exceeds the bounds of the input buffer and specifications it was built for, surely the input jitter is eliminated? Unless of course it is so bad, that the buffer can't figure out which sample it is part of and gets buffered in the wrong sample...

If not, I'd be interested in hearing the issues with jitter once it has been buffered...

Cheers,
Adam

skunark

« Reply #1446 on: 30 Dec 2011, 08:34 am »
James,

Can you describe circuitry around the HDMI and the audio clock regeneration solution.

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1447 on: 30 Dec 2011, 09:25 am »
James,

Can you describe circuitry around the HDMI and the audio clock regeneration solution.

Jim

Hi Jim

That one is over my pay grade so I will have to ask engineering.

James

Thunder

« Reply #1448 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:31 pm »
I've got to say that anyone who has got an SP3 or is going to be demoing one or trying a home demo, hi alpha, then you must watch Super 8, watched it last night and there are a couple of scenes that visually are pretty spectacular but on the audio side they are totally amazing.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have never heard home cinema, or cinema for that matter, sound this good, talk about being pinned to the sofa, it really does show off the SP3 to the max and what an awesome performer it really is, I think I've found a new demo disc, plus it's a pretty good film also, but it looks like they've spent a lot of time getting the soundtrack spot on, highly recommended :thumb:

I'm really back into my movies, thanks to the SP3, anyone got any other 'blow your socks of' soundtracks they can recommend?

Thanks for the tip. Picked up Super 8 last night and totally agree, with the SP3 it sounds amazing!

Mag

« Reply #1449 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:31 pm »
>>I'm really back into my movies, thanks to the SP3, anyone got any other 'blow your socks of' soundtracks they can recommend?<<

Here are movies that I have in my collection with good soundtracks.

Die Hard- Five Star series, 1,2 and 3
James Bond- Special Edition, Golden Eye, Tomorrow Never Dies, Die Another Day, World is Not Enough
Rambo- Special Edition, 1,2,4
Star Wars Trilogy
Tora Tora Tora- Special Edition
Collateral- with Tom Cruise
Gladiator- Special Edition
Predator- Special Edition
U-Boat 571- Best Sound Edition

I use the soundfield Dolby PLII Movie & THX on the SP2

Ritchief

« Reply #1450 on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:43 am »
Mag - I have not played it yet through the SP3 but Saving Private Ryan opening scene must be added to you list

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1451 on: 31 Dec 2011, 11:52 am »
hi, all!

by reading the new website under the SP3's features i can read the following:

- DTS Master HD Audio, Dolby Volume

now what is "Dolby Volume"? :scratch:

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1452 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm »
hi, all!

by reading the new website under the SP3's features i can read the following:

- DTS Master HD Audio, Dolby Volume

now what is "Dolby Volume"? :scratch:

thanks,

al.

Hi al

Dolby volume is similar to the dynamic range control on the SP2.  It allows you to reduce headroom so if you are listening at night the explosions and such are reduced in level but the mids stay intact thereby still making voice range intelligible at low levels.

James

PS - you must set it and it disengages once you turn the SP3 off.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1453 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm »
ok, James. thank you :thumb:

al.

Alpha10

« Reply #1454 on: 1 Jan 2012, 08:09 pm »
Just had a quick look and cannot find the SP3 in the Logitech Harmony database, has anyone sent off the codes yet, or had them added?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1455 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

My production manager just informed me today we have sold 160 - SP3's - so far so good :thumb:

james

sfraser

« Reply #1456 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:45 am »

james

James, why can't a input buffer  get rid of the jitter? We do this  all the time with are  telecom equipment.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1457 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:54 am »
James, why can't a input buffer  get rid of the jitter? We do this  all the time with are  telecom equipment.

Hi Steve,

Not sure I have the answer  :scratch:  I have just been told by the engineering types that jitter in = jitter out - you can not reduce incoming jitter. And HDMI has much more jitter than other types of connections.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1458 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:27 pm »

Hi Steve,

I got a further clarification on this so the better way to express it is you can 'attenuate' jitter coming in but you can not 'eliminate' it. So the more jitter you have coming in the more you have coming out the other end after attenuation. That's why less jitter in still matters.

james

sfraser

« Reply #1459 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:25 pm »
Hi Steve,

I got a further clarification on this so the better way to express it is you can 'attenuate' jitter coming in but you can not 'eliminate' it. So the more jitter you have coming in the more you have coming out the other end after attenuation. That's why less jitter in still matters.

james

Hi James, (it's Scott actually not Steve...if I a had a nickel for every time I was called Steve :wink: )

I still don't understand why you could not eliminate jitter, from a incoming signal with a properly sized buffer. The data stream is buffered and only when the buffer is X % filled do you play out the buffer and re-clock. Now I understand how new jitter could be introduced as signal is passed through the circuitry of the DAC etc. but once the data is buffered , the incoming jitter is essentially eliminated . Proper buffer size is important to avoid buffer under-runs and over-runs however.

With all that being said, I will add this to the already  huge list of things I don't understand .  :scratch:

Steve....ugh I mean Scott