SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1420 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:17 pm »
Through the official dealer here in Melbourne. As far as I know, it is the only black SP3 in Aus at the moment.

It was the unit at the hifi show here. We had a chat with Brian about it actually.

HI Adam,

We have emailed the Australian Distributor and we think the back channels are shorted some how - we will replace the unit for you.

james

kostisgva

« Reply #1421 on: 22 Dec 2011, 07:44 pm »
HI Adam,

We have emailed the Australian Distributor and we think the back channels are shorted some how - we will replace the unit for you.

james
Hi all,

Have a 7.2 setup, tested, no problems with back channels.

Alpha10

« Reply #1422 on: 23 Dec 2011, 06:08 pm »
Hi James,

I have arranged a home demo of the SP3 once Christmas is out of the way and I was wondering, are both the HDMI outputs active at the same time? I can see no way of switching them?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1423 on: 23 Dec 2011, 06:23 pm »
Hi James,

I have arranged a home demo of the SP3 once Christmas is out of the way and I was wondering, are both the HDMI outputs active at the same time? I can see no way of switching them?

Cheers

Hi Alpha

Yes they are just in parallel - Hope you like what you hear :thumb:

James

mv038856

« Reply #1424 on: 23 Dec 2011, 08:36 pm »
... I seem to have found an anomaly for where there are 2 surround back speakers, at least on our unit. Now I spoke to Mike this morning who has passed this along but I was wondering if someone can test it.

I have found that when you run the test tone on the surround back left or surround back right channel, it comes through both the surround back channels. In addition to this, we have an SACD player connected to the 7.1 Bypass inputs. When the Surround back left input gets a signal, the same signal is output on the surround back right channel as well. Vice versa when there is a signal on the surround back left channel as well.

In other words, the processor seems to be treating the 2 surround back channels as one. So a signal through either, is being output through both. I have the latest 92c firmware loaded.

Hi,

my first guess would have been that the power amplifier driving the rear speakers might be set to mono...  :wink:

Cheers!

Markus

Vipers

« Reply #1425 on: 23 Dec 2011, 09:40 pm »

That's certainly a good way to start the new year alpha :thumb:

It's only going to have one conclusion though :wink:

adprom

« Reply #1426 on: 23 Dec 2011, 09:41 pm »
Hi,

my first guess would have been that the power amplifier driving the rear speakers might be set to mono...  :wink:

Cheers!

Markus

Nah, this isn't the case. Amplifier in question is a 7 channel power amp with no bridging capability. Besides, the previous processor was fine with the rear channels ;) I did actually check a heap of cabling just to make sure I wasn't missing something blatantly obvious.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1427 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:32 pm »
Bryston SP3

After waiting for a couple of years to replace my Bryston SP 1.7 I finally took delivery on Tuesday December 20th of a Bryston SP3. Thanks to Absolute Audio in Calgary and Jim Spence and James Tanner at Bryston I am able to have some time over the holidays to put it through its paces. I had to leave on vacation so all I have had time to do is spend some time with 2 channel SACD and Vinyl.

A little background:

I have an acoustically treated media room that is 15 X 18 X 9 and with the help of an RTA it measures fairly flat response at the primary seating position except for a 3 db bump at 80 htz. Although this is a 7.1 channel home theater my passion is 2 channel and thus the room is optimized for that.

Power Conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant Premium
Power: Bryston 4B SST and 9B SST
Speakers: Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMD with the DMD Center.
Digital Source: Marantz UD 9004 and Logitech Squeezebox Touch to my iMac music server.
Analogue Source: VPI Scoutmaster with Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and EAR 834P phono.

After letting it "warm" up over night I loaded my favorite SACD, Jen Chapin reVisions. I sat down and the first thing I noticed was how much bigger my room became. I waited for the second song and thought how much better my center channel speaker sounded. In fact it sounded like a different speaker. I then realized I must have set the SP3 to 7.1 channel bypass. I listened to another song before I went to the SP3 to set it a 2 channel. I was shocked to see that it WAS set at 2 channel. I finally achieved that window of sound in my media room. I was very happy with the SP1.7 and compared it to many "reference quality" analogue preamps costing much more money. The SP3 is in a different league. It not only made my room bigger but I noticed I could hear things around instruments and voices that just were not apparent before.

I switched to the VPI for an hour and played one of my go to Allison Krauss albums and then the new Pat Matheny. The sound was equally as impresive. In fact on vinyly the width and depth of my soundstage seamed to open up even more. Overall I have only spent a couple of hours with the SP3 and only in analogue 2 channel. When I am back from holidays I will get into my favorite blu rays and I am sure will be even more impressed.

My first impression is that purely as a 2 channel analogue pre amp the SP3 is well worth the price. I can't wait to hear the DAC and the 7.1 processing.

I am looking forward to next week.

DRC

Alpha10

« Reply #1428 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:10 pm »
Hi Alpha

Yes they are just in parallel - Hope you like what you hear :thumb:

James

Thank you James, I will report back, I am sure I will love it...

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #1429 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:12 pm »
That's certainly a good way to start the new year alpha :thumb:

It's only going to have one conclusion though :wink:

Cheers Vipers, I know what the conclusion is going to be as well, it is just the PRICE of the SP3 in the UK that gets to me. I still think I should just get the BP16 and HT bypass with my Marantz processor....

SoundGame

« Reply #1430 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:45 pm »
Cheers Vipers, I know what the conclusion is going to be as well, it is just the PRICE of the SP3 in the UK that gets to me. I still think I should just get the BP16 and HT bypass with my Marantz processor....

Nothing wrong with the BP16 for 2-ch, which I believe you would be pressed to hear a difference against the SP3 but in multi-channel (if that's where your priorities lie) it sounds like it's almost unanimous that the SP3 sets a new standard.

Alpha10

« Reply #1431 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:52 pm »

Nothing wrong with the BP16 for 2-ch, which I believe you would be pressed to hear a difference against the SP3 but in multi-channel (if that's where your priorities lie) it sounds like it's almost unanimous that the SP3 sets a new standard.

Absolutely right, the BP16 is a great pre. Since owning the BDP/BDA pair, 2Ch music has been re-born for me and that is becoming my focus. I do not really listen to multi-channel music but the room and the kit has to double up as my cinema room. I presently have a Marantz pre/pro which for films is pretty good. So, I am sure the SP3 will be much better for 2Ch than the Marantz, but I want to hear at home how it is with blu-ray. I would much rather have a one box solution in the front room, BUT the BP16 integrated with the Marantz would be miles cheaper at UK prices!

Cheers

adprom

« Reply #1432 on: 25 Dec 2011, 12:11 am »

I can confirm that at a minimum the SP3 is at least equal to the BP16. IMO though, it actually exceeds it. The SP3 actually replaced a BP16 and surround processer (Arcam AV888) that was there previously.

The analogue audio performance is unlike anything I have seen in a device supporting surround sound before. This has also flowed through to the surround performance which is something special.

Vipers

« Reply #1433 on: 25 Dec 2011, 12:16 am »
but in multi-channel (if that's where your priorities lie) it sounds like it's almost unanimous that the SP3 sets a new standard.

As far as I'm cncerned SoundGame, you've hit the nail on the head with that sentence, I've listened to numerous processors over the last few years and nothing, I mean nothing has come close to the SP3 for multi channel in my opinion, it's difficult to explain, but once you've heard the SP3 it all makes sense, beware alpha :wink:

Vipers

« Reply #1434 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:19 am »
I've got to say that anyone who has got an SP3 or is going to be demoing one or trying a home demo, hi alpha, then you must watch Super 8, watched it last night and there are a couple of scenes that visually are pretty spectacular but on the audio side they are totally amazing.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have never heard home cinema, or cinema for that matter, sound this good, talk about being pinned to the sofa, it really does show off the SP3 to the max and what an awesome performer it really is, I think I've found a new demo disc, plus it's a pretty good film also, but it looks like they've spent a lot of time getting the soundtrack spot on, highly recommended :thumb:

I'm really back into my movies, thanks to the SP3, anyone got any other 'blow your socks of' soundtracks they can recommend?

MellowVelo

« Reply #1435 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:49 pm »
James,

Any chance that we'll see a new external DAC utilizing some of the new audio capabilities of the SP3? For example, I'm thinking of the ability to input an audio signal via HDMI and the ability to internally decode a DSD signal to PCM (DSD straight to analog would be even better). These would make great features for a BDA-2 and would save a ton of money for us folks who are interested in the audio capabilities of the SP3 but don't need the video processing.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1436 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:51 pm »
James,

Any chance that we'll see a new external DAC utilizing some of the new audio capabilities of the SP3? For example, I'm thinking of the ability to input an audio signal via HDMI and the ability to internally decode a DSD signal to PCM (DSD straight to analog would be even better). These would make great features for a BDA-2 and would save a ton of money for us folks who are interested in the audio capabilities of the SP3 but don't need the video processing.

Thanks!

Hi MellowVelo,

Not looking at that for now but something to consider going forward.  :thumb:

james

SHV

« Reply #1437 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:56 pm »
"audio capabilities of the SP3 but don't need the video processing"...
IIRC, the SP3 is audio processing only, with video pass through switching.  No video processing.

Steve

MellowVelo

« Reply #1438 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:11 pm »
James and Steve,

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize that the SP3 was simply video passthrough, but what I had in mind would still be different than the SP3. Basically I was thinking of a two-channel version of the SP3. You could still have the HDMI inputs and outputs (with video passthrough) but you wouldn't have to offer decoding for home theater codecs, like the Dolby and DTS 7.1 codecs, because this DAC would be strictly two-channel stereo.

A similar, but not identical, product has just been released by NAD. It has the HDMI inputs for receiving a stereo PCM signal, and it passes the video signal without any processing.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1439 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:14 pm »
James and Steve,

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize that the SP3 was simply video passthrough, but what I had in mind would still be different than the SP3. Basically I was thinking of a two-channel version of the SP3. You could still have the HDMI inputs and outputs (with video passthrough) but you wouldn't have to offer decoding for home theater codecs, like the Dolby and DTS 7.1 codecs, because this DAC would be strictly two-channel stereo.

A similar, but not identical, product has just been released by NAD. It has the HDMI inputs for receiving a stereo PCM signal, and it passes the video signal without any processing.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC

The problem with HDMI is it was first a Video connection and then added Audio almost as an afterthought.  The HDMI seems to have a lot more inherent  jitter than AES/EBU or BNC or COAX.

james