SP 3.0?

gravy

• -Scott
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1380 on: 14 Dec 2011, 01:53 am »
Hi

It is a Dolby requirement that just allows adjustments to the dynamic range.  We had to include it right at the end to get the DD licencing.  It just allows you to change the overall dynamic range so that at night for instance if you want to reduce the dynamics (explosions) so you do not wake the house up it will allow for that.  I can get you more details later.

james

Please explain the following:
-DRC Auto (THD, DTSHD)
-Dyn Range Full Off
-Dyn Range Medium
-Dyn Range Low
-Vol (Low/Medium/High) (Half/Full mode)
    Vol Offs  +- db  (what does Offs mean)
    Vol Mid/Side   on or off

James - any further details on this yet?  I swear that the volume is fluctuating up and down a bit when I'm watching a particular channel (TSN-Jets on Bell), almost like DRC is kicking in.   I currently have this source set the DYN RANGE FULL OFF?   

Weird!  It could certainly be the source - the production values on this channel are leaving a bit to be desired - I find I have to increase the volume quite a bit on this particular channel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1381 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:42 am »
James - any further details on this yet?  I swear that the volume is fluctuating up and down a bit when I'm watching a particular channel (TSN-Jets on Bell), almost like DRC is kicking in.   I currently have this source set the DYN RANGE FULL OFF?   

Weird!  It could certainly be the source - the production values on this channel are leaving a bit to be desired - I find I have to increase the volume quite a bit on this particular channel.

Hi gravy

If you turn the SP3 off then on it will reset to no DRC so my guess is the source.

james

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1382 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:44 am »
OK great!  Yeah - it seems like this is the only channel doing this.  I think our fans have the sound engineer a bit jumpy on the mic input levels... :)

Thanks for the info JT.

HooStat

OSD?
« Reply #1383 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:05 pm »
Silly question, but there is no way to see the volume level except the unit's display, right?  I am just wondering about installation in a cabinet and how to know what the volume is.  Obviously I can set it by ear, but it helps to see the level for a few things, especially at night.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1384 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm »
Hey Hoostat,

I think you can you use the web interface to control volume?  (I'm assuming there's a display on the web interace - I haven't run a new cat6 line to the rack to test this yet.)

In my case, and as an alternative, I use RS232 to display the SP3 volume and signal info on my HTPC screen.

Ritchief

« Reply #1385 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm »
gravy

I would be keep to know how you have written the RS232 codes to send and recieve commands..

Thanks

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1386 on: 15 Dec 2011, 03:47 pm »
Hey Ritchief,

Send me a PM and I can describe my setup.  In my case, I use a couple of pieces of software to achieve this, but I'm not sure its appropriate to list them on the forum as it may seem like advertising!   :nono:

HooStat

« Reply #1387 on: 15 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm »
Hey Ritchief,

Send me a PM and I can describe my setup.  In my case, I use a couple of pieces of software to achieve this, but I'm not sure its appropriate to list them on the forum as it may seem like advertising!   :nono:

I think it would be fine to put in on the forum, or in another thread ("ways of controlling the sp3").  Anything that makes these things easier to use is good for both Bryston and the companies whose products help out.  I heard about some stuff from RTI today that might help (perhaps that is what you are using).  I would definitely post it.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1388 on: 15 Dec 2011, 10:47 pm »
Good idea - another thread makes sense to separate it out from this one.  I'll get around to posting up a thread over the holidays when I've had a chance to get 2 way comms fully working.  Too many darn distractions!   :xmas:

HooStat

« Reply #1389 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:30 am »
Does the HDMI output on the SP3 strip the audio off and only send video?  Or does it just copy the audio off and send both audio and video to the display?  The reason I am asking is that I was thinking of running my Denon AVR to control my second zone. I was going to run the HDMI out through the Denon (it has a nice scaler too).  That way I could hear the TV/movie in another room in a different zone.  There is probably another way of doing this, but I just thought I would ask about this detail.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1390 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm »
Does the HDMI output on the SP3 strip the audio off and only send video?  Or does it just copy the audio off and send both audio and video to the display?  The reason I am asking is that I was thinking of running my Denon AVR to control my second zone. I was going to run the HDMI out through the Denon (it has a nice scaler too).  That way I could hear the TV/movie in another room in a different zone.  There is probably another way of doing this, but I just thought I would ask about this detail.

Good question HooStat - I will find out.

james

cclinx

« Reply #1391 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hi James,

Can SP3 decode AAC 5.1 for Japanese customers?
If not, is it possible to upgrade it?
Such as Onyko PR-SC5509
http://www.jp.onkyo.com/audiovisual/avcenter/prsc5509/technology.htm
地上デジタル放送やBS/CSデジタル放送の音声規格に採用され、最大5.1chまで再生可能な規格「AAC」に対応します。

Thanks!
cclinx

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1392 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:44 pm »
Hi James,

Can SP3 decode AAC 5.1 for Japanese customers?
If not, is it possible to upgrade it?
Such as Onyko PR-SC5509
http://www.jp.onkyo.com/audiovisual/avcenter/prsc5509/technology.htm
地上デジタル放送やBS/CSデジタル放送の音声規格に採用され、最大5.1chまで再生可能な規格「AAC」に対応します。

Thanks!
cclinx

Hi cclinx

Not sure on that - I will check.

james

HooStat

« Reply #1393 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:34 am »
One other question out of curiousity.  You said you planned for an initial build of 100 units -- have you completed that yet?  And how long are the order times in the US (approximately)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1394 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:57 am »
One other question out of curiousity.  You said you planned for an initial build of 100 units -- have you completed that yet?  And how long are the order times in the US (approximately)?

Hi

Yes we are over 100 now and a new order would be about 2-3 weeks.

James

adprom

« Reply #1395 on: 22 Dec 2011, 12:32 am »
Having a play with this at the moment.

Does anyone else happen to have this in a 7.1 setup with 2 surround back speakers? If so it would be interesting to test something...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1396 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:50 am »

Does anyone else happen to have this in a 7.1 setup with 2 surround back speakers? If so it would be interesting to test something...

Hi

Yes I do - how can I help.

James

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1397 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:52 am »

What do you need tested Adprom?

adprom

« Reply #1398 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:31 am »
Hi

Yes I do - how can I help.

James

2 questions.

On the subwoofer settings, what does in2Bypass do?

Secondly I seem to have found an anomaly for where there are 2 surround back speakers, at least on our unit. Now I spoke to Mike this morning who has passed this along but I was wondering if someone can test it.

I have found that when you run the test tone on the surround back left or surround back right channel, it comes through both the surround back channels. In addition to this, we have an SACD player connected to the 7.1 Bypass inputs. When the Surround back left input gets a signal, the same signal is output on the surround back right channel as well. Vice versa when there is a signal on the surround back left channel as well.

In other words, the processor seems to be treating the 2 surround back channels as one. So a signal through either, is being output through both. I have the latest 92c firmware loaded.

Lastly, the speaker settings and sizes seem to need to be setup separately for each input, rather than globally. Is this intended?

Many thanks,
Adam

adprom

« Reply #1399 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:32 am »
When I say I spoke to Mike this morning, that was Melbourne, Aus time. So it would have been Wednesday afternoon in Canada ;)