SP 3.0?

saveloy

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1340 on: 29 Nov 2011, 01:18 pm »
I'll have to give the volume another try, I just couldn't get the slider to move on my IPad, worked fine on the PC though.

Just got home from work to be greeted by 2 policeman to tell me that I'd been burgled whilst at work, house is a real mess, they turned every room upside down, luckily they must have been stupid thieves as it looks like my Bryston rack survived, every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

Mother Fraccers!!  Mate, you seem to be taking it very well - I'm glad.  These idiots are generally looking for the same things: jewellery & cash.  My sister was burgled and the morons left the laptops and other sundry items scattered around the living room. 
They wouldn't have a clue as to what high end hi-fi is.

Kyri

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1341 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:26 pm »
SP3 arrived yesterday!  Spent most of the night at the airport so I barely had time to unbox and get into the rack - no chance for critical listening yet, but the fit, finish, display clarity, and new volume display look fantastic.  I'm looking very forward to the weekend when I can put it through its paces.

James:  Is there a new serial configuration for the SP3?  I attached the serial cable that I used with my SP17 but I couldn't seem to communicate with the SP3.

Would you mind having engineeringn confirm the serial cable wiring scheme (i.e. does the SP3 want a straight through serial cable, or a crossover type?) as well as the protocol specs (Baud, Stop Bit, Parity, Flow Control, etc)?  I couldn't find those in the manual or online.

I also have a question about the rack ears.  They are 3U, but the SP3 itself is bigger than 3U?  I'll save details on that question for later when I can take some pictures to better show what the heck i'm talking about.

Thanks!
Scott

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1342 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:42 pm »
Just got home from work to be greeted by 2 policeman to tell me that I'd been burgled whilst at work, house is a real mess, they turned every room upside down, luckily they must have been stupid thieves as it looks like my Bryston rack survived, every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

So sorry to hear that Vipers.  Makes the blood boil, doesn't it.  With the smash and grab routine employed so often these days, even having a home alarm system can't help if they are brazen enough.  Glad the idiots missed the Bryston stuff.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1343 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:29 pm »
SP3 arrived yesterday!  Spent most of the night at the airport so I barely had time to unbox and get into the rack - no chance for critical listening yet, but the fit, finish, display clarity, and new volume display look fantastic.  I'm looking very forward to the weekend when I can put it through its paces.

James:  Is there a new serial configuration for the SP3?  I attached the serial cable that I used with my SP17 but I couldn't seem to communicate with the SP3.

Would you mind having engineeringn confirm the serial cable wiring scheme (i.e. does the SP3 want a straight through serial cable, or a crossover type?) as well as the protocol specs (Baud, Stop Bit, Parity, Flow Control, etc)?  I couldn't find those in the manual or online.

I also have a question about the rack ears.  They are 3U, but the SP3 itself is bigger than 3U?  I'll save details on that question for later when I can take some pictures to better show what the heck i'm talking about.

Thanks!
Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes there is an all new serial configuration - email me and I will send it.

Yes C-Series faceplates are 1/2 inches higher than a standard Rack mount faceplate.

james

SHV

« Reply #1344 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
"With the smash and grab routine employed so often these days, "
That was happening in my area earlier this year,  with forced entry into occupies dwellings.  After several robbers were shot by homeowners, this activity seems to have stopped.

Steve

Vipers

« Reply #1345 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words and support guys.

Today has been an interesting one with forensics round scouring the place for fingerprints, I guess nothing will come of it but I can't fault the polices response, now it's time to put the house back together and get an alarm sorted asap.

I was so angry when I got home yesterday I really could have done something I may have regretted if I would have caught the sods in the act, it must be so easy for these things to get out of hand, we found one of the culprits duffel coat buttons on our living room floor last night, so we went up the local pub to see if we could find someone with a button missing, unfortunately, they weren't that stupid.

Anyway, it could have been worse, now I can concentrate on hooking up the SP3 with XLR's throughout and in 5.1 :)

SoundGame

« Reply #1346 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:07 pm »
"With the smash and grab routine employed so often these days, "
That was happening in my area earlier this year,  with forced entry into occupies dwellings.  After several robbers were shot by homeowners, this activity seems to have stopped.

Steve

In Canada and the U.K. homeowners don't have that option open to them.

There is a phrase from the movie Pulp Fiction that I'll very roughly quote.  It was said by Vincent Vega (played by John Travolta) in referring to finding his car key scratched.  He said, "...it would have been worth it, just to be able to have caught them doing it".  Yes, sometimes the thought of revenge seems oh, so sweet, but it really never turns out well.  Better to just pick up and go - and enjoy life's pleasures...including SP3's.

Vipers

« Reply #1347 on: 29 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm »

There is a phrase from the movie Pulp Fiction that I'll very roughly quote.  It was said by Vincent Vega (played by John Travolta) in referring to finding his car key scratched.  He said, "...it would have been worth it, just to be able to have caught them doing it".  Yes, sometimes the thought of revenge seems oh, so sweet, but it really never turns out well.  Better to just pick up and go - and enjoy life's pleasures...including SP3's.

Spot on Soundgame, that is as long as the thieving buggers haven't nicked your SP3, luckily for me I'd imagine that the only hifi brand that they had probably heard of is apple :roll:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1348 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:51 am »
I'll have to give the volume another try, I just couldn't get the slider to move on my IPad, worked fine on the PC though.

hi, Vipers!

sorry to hear about it! most important thing is that you and your family are ok!

the world is full of crazy people...

Alex.

ralph1950

« Reply #1349 on: 30 Nov 2011, 02:41 pm »
Sorry that happened. I just hate to hear about folks getting robbed.  Makes me mad!  Trouble is, our court system keeps dumping criminals back out on the streets.  My suggestion is to kick them out of the US for a couple years.  Send them to the middle east to learn how to keep their fingers off other peoples possessions.  Grrrrrrrrr.
Other than that, GOOD MORNING!  :green:

Vipers

« Reply #1350 on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:49 pm »
Thanks again guys, I've ordered an alarm that I'll be fitting over the weekend, let's hope that keeps the thieving gits away from my property.

More importantly, I've got a day off work tomorrow so I'm planning on running cables around my living room so at long last I'll be able to hear the SP3 in all it's 5.1 glory, I've got my Dark Knight demo BD out ready :)

Alpha10

« Reply #1351 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:07 pm »
Thanks again guys, I've ordered an alarm that I'll be fitting over the weekend, let's hope that keeps the thieving gits away from my property.

More importantly, I've got a day off work tomorrow so I'm planning on running cables around my living room so at long last I'll be able to hear the SP3 in all it's 5.1 glory, I've got my Dark Knight demo BD out ready :)

Excellent news.

Have you got the StarWars box set yet - they will be stella (sic) on the SP3 I am sure

Cheers

John Casler

« Reply #1352 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:20 pm »

A pair of "well trained" dobermans or pitbull canines can also be effective.

Vipers

« Reply #1353 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm »
Excellent news.

Have you got the StarWars box set yet - they will be stella (sic) on the SP3 I am sure

Cheers

Hey Alpha, yep got the Star Wars box set sitting next to the SP3 in readiness also.

It will be interesting also how I find the PMC DS-001's integrate with my 7B's for centre and rear duties, I take it you are more than happy with your powerpac for the centre?

Vipers

« Reply #1354 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm »
A pair of "well trained" dobermans or pitbull canines can also be effective.

Yes, I've been trying to train the cats to bark, but they just don't seem to understand, Meow just doesn't scare anyone does it :roll:

Maybe I should look at getting some bigger cats, if you know what I mean :icon_twisted:

donny619

« Reply #1355 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm »
James,
For those of us using a computer (htpc) with the SP3, would it be best to then use the HDMI output not just for movies (TrueHD, DTSMaster), but also to play our 2 channel music files? Would those files be sent to the SP3 as hi-rez (192/24) via HDMI? Assuming they are encoded that way.

Or is it still recommended to use HDMI for movies, and digital out (spdif, toslink, aes-ebu) to BDA-1 to SP3 for music?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1356 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:12 am »
James,
For those of us using a computer (htpc) with the SP3, would it be best to then use the HDMI output not just for movies (TrueHD, DTSMaster), but also to play our 2 channel music files? Would those files be sent to the SP3 as hi-rez (192/24) via HDMI? Assuming they are encoded that way.

Or is it still recommended to use HDMI for movies, and digital out (spdif, toslink, aes-ebu) to BDA-1 to SP3 for music?

Definitely use the AES/EBU or SPDIF instead of the HDMI.  We have found HDMI has some serious issues with jitter - maybe because it is a video transfer mechanism first and foremost?.

james

skunark

« Reply #1357 on: 1 Dec 2011, 07:35 am »
Definitely use the AES/EBU or SPDIF instead of the HDMI.  We have found HDMI has some serious issues with jitter - maybe because it is a video transfer mechanism first and foremost?.

james

With HDMI the audio is sent as part of the blanking phase in almost every video frame as a data island packet.  The audio data just takes a ride at whatever frequency the video is being displayed and the HDMI chip is expected to buffer and regenerate the clock as required.  i.e. A typical 1080p 24 Hz blu-ray movie will push about 41 ms of audio per channel every frame. (A decent TV will run at a multiple of 24hz and for multiple channel audio, it's required to repeat frames to get all the audio across). 

Because the audio clock is not even associated with the HDMI video frame rate, details on the type of audio is sent along that define the requirements to convert it back into a PCM/DSD streams.   If audio jitter is introduce, it would be with the HDMI chipset and it's 'audio clock regeneration' design.  If the HDMI chip doesn't have a dedicated oscillator for the audio, it will be a design with high jitter as it's using the HDMI TDMS clock to regenerate the frequency and the jitter becomes a function of the video frame rate and the required audio data rate.

sfraser

« Reply #1358 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:54 pm »

Shoot him in the front and put a steak knife in his hand.......

Alpha10

« Reply #1359 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:30 pm »
Hi James,

Could you kindly confirm for me that the SP3 is able to be ordered with 17" black, blue display and blue LEDs please?

Cheers