SP 3.0?

Vipers

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1320 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:56 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes - any speaker you set to LARGE ignores the crossover point.  In studios with movie scores all the speakers are usually set to Large and the .1 channel is strictly an EFFECTs channel NOT a SUB.

james

Thanks James, that makes sense, so With PMC MB2i's for front L+R, CB6i for centre and FB1i's for rears, would you set everything to large, as the CB6i goes down to 35Hz and the FB1i's to 28Hz?

Thanks,

Vipers

« Reply #1321 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:59 pm »
HI Vipers,

SInce they are separate platforms, I'm a bit concerned about stability. My family members tend to run around the place, and I would not want to have misplaced platforms. Are they firmly attached somehow, or indeed 'displaceable'?

Thanks for the details,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Unfortunately they are not firmly attached, the spikes on the bottom of the legs sit in little indentations on the platforms, if hit hard enough they could come apart, basically each platform just sits on the one underneath, basically they are not very child friendly.

Vipers

« Reply #1322 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:01 pm »
Hi Viper,

I notice you have have the BDA still setup with the SP3.0. Any chance of sharing your experience between the two? I am especially interested whether the double Chip in the BDA makes a real difference with hires material as opposed to the single chip in the SP3.0. I mention Hires especially because it seems to be very difficult to hear big differences on standard cd-resolution between the BCD (single chip) and the BDA/BDP (dual chip)

Marius

This is something I'm quite keen to test myself, it's just a matter of getting the time at the moment, leave it with me and as soon as I get a chance I'll have a little shootout and report back :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1323 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:09 pm »
Thanks James, that makes sense, so With PMC MB2i's for front L+R, CB6i for centre and FB1i's for rears, would you set everything to large, as the CB6i goes down to 35Hz and the FB1i's to 28Hz?

Thanks,

Hi,

I set everything to large because I want to replicate the studio production.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1324 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:13 pm »

Thanks,

I set ALL the OB1i's, the CB6i and the TB2i's as large and much prefer the sound that way.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1325 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:45 pm »
Sent: November-24-11 11:38 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP3

Dear James,

Unfortunately I compare SP3 with my Apogee Ensemble in my flat... I thought that the Apogee is a professional converter... SP3 "killed" Apogee by dynamic, clarity, resolution , everything!

Best regards

Robert Fijałkowski
MJ AUDIO LAB

Vipers

« Reply #1326 on: 24 Nov 2011, 05:54 pm »
Hi,

I set everything to large because I want to replicate the studio production.

james

Thanks James,

Just tried pointing the Ipad at the SP3 web browser, fantastic, the start of an Ipad app :) you can switch inputs and alter the menu settings, the volume doesn't seem to work at the moment though, I know it is very early days but if this could be rectified I'd be over the moon :)

Thanks,

SHV

« Reply #1327 on: 25 Nov 2011, 02:50 am »
"The new Lexicon piece is the only processor that I know of running everything at 24/192."
Read this statement on another site.  Is this true?  My reading of the SP3 specs is that it is 24/192 digital processing.
However I am totally confused with the Blu-Ray audio possibilities and decoding.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1328 on: 25 Nov 2011, 03:34 am »
"The new Lexicon piece is the only processor that I know of running everything at 24/192."
Read this statement on another site.  Is this true?  My reading of the SP3 specs is that it is 24/192 digital processing.
However I am totally confused with the Blu-Ray audio possibilities and decoding.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes the SP3 can do NATIVE 192/24.   The highest I have seen on BRay is 96/24 on music Video discs and 48/16 on movies. The main difference with BRay is the 5.1 or 7.1 digital bitstreams are uncompressed audio.

I am currently listening to my BDP-1 with our latest Bryston thumbdrive which has 7 songs at 192/24 and 2 at 96/24 through the SP-3.  :thumb:

James

By the way I do not think you want to run everything at 192/24 as that means you are up sampling everything rather than listening at the Native resolution - maybe that's what the mean?

assafl

« Reply #1329 on: 28 Nov 2011, 05:59 am »
Thanks James,

Just tried pointing the Ipad at the SP3 web browser, fantastic, the start of an Ipad app :) you can switch inputs and alter the menu settings, the volume doesn't seem to work at the moment though, I know it is very early days but if this could be rectified I'd be over the moon :)

Thanks,

Agreed it is very cool. Volume does indeed work - move the slider and push the big volume button. Note the extended command window and serial viewer on the side.

Vipers

« Reply #1330 on: 28 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm »
Agreed it is very cool. Volume does indeed work - move the slider and push the big volume button. Note the extended command window and serial viewer on the side.

I'll have to give the volume another try, I just couldn't get the slider to move on my IPad, worked fine on the PC though.

Just got home from work to be greeted by 2 policeman to tell me that I'd been burgled whilst at work, house is a real mess, they turned every room upside down, luckily they must have been stupid thieves as it looks like my Bryston rack survived, every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1331 on: 28 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm »
I'll have to give the volume another try, I just couldn't get the slider to move on my IPad, worked fine on the PC though.

Just got home from work to be greeted by 2 policeman to tell me that I'd been burgled whilst at work, house is a real mess, they turned every room upside down, luckily they must have been stupid thieves as it looks like my Bryston rack survived, every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

Wow Vipers - hope everyone is OK.

James

Vipers

« Reply #1332 on: 28 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm »
Wow Vipers - hope everyone is OK.

James

Thanks James, the cats are a little freaked tbh, must have been scary for them having strangers in the house trashing it, other than that all good, ta.

I had a phone call on the way home from work from the police saying that we had been burgled, I've never felt so ill as i didn't know what I was going to find once I'd got home, all I could think about was my SP3, as I haven't got round to insuring it yet, luckily it all looks OK.

SoundGame

« Reply #1333 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:48 am »
OH Man...I feel for you Vipers.  It's good that it wasn't as bad as you initially thought - better to focus on the good things.

Well, hope things come back together soon.  Cheers.

Phil A

« Reply #1334 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:01 am »
Thanks James, the cats are a little freaked tbh, must have been scary for them having strangers in the house trashing it, other than that all good, ta.

I had a phone call on the way home from work from the police saying that we had been burgled, I've never felt so ill as i didn't know what I was going to find once I'd got home, all I could think about was my SP3, as I haven't got round to insuring it yet, luckily it all looks OK.

Sorry to hear about the robbery.  I always set the alarm when leaving.  Doesn't guarantee anything but makes it a bit more inconvenient as a target.  Over the years, it has gone off once or twice by accident (I was getting food for people re-siding some of the back their hammers set off the glass break detector) and it is usually a matter of minutes before the police arrive.  The new windows I got (a couple of years back) also have little spring thumb locks that allow the window to be opened from the top or bottom a few inches without setting off the alarm and would be take tons of work to totally smash the window to get in.  I also have a camera on the front door (bought a wireless sending device years back for audio that did not work out) and at some point I'll get something to time lapse record.  I also have a solar powered light with motion detector that goes off when someone approaches the front door at night.  I just ordered a better camera (that should be here before the weekend) on sale.  The one I currently have is about 10 years old.  None of the stuff was expensive (I think the new camera was $31) and I look at it as a cheap investment to deter someone.

PRELUDE

« Reply #1335 on: 29 Nov 2011, 04:03 am »

Hi Vipers and sorry about the bad news.Just my two cents,you want to make sure to insuring everything.I have even my soldering iron insured.

donny619

« Reply #1336 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:04 am »
Hope all is well Vipers!

donny619

« Reply #1337 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:06 am »
I noticed the same thing right away because I'm also wondering if I should trade in both my SP1.7 AND BDA-1 for a SP3 or just the SP1.7 =)

Hi Viper,

I notice you have have the BDA still setup with the SP3.0. Any chance of sharing your experience between the two? I am especially interested whether the double Chip in the BDA makes a real difference with hires material as opposed to the single chip in the SP3.0. I mention Hires especially because it seems to be very difficult to hear big differences on standard cd-resolution between the BCD (single chip) and the BDA/BDP (dual chip)

Marius

assafl

« Reply #1338 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:25 am »
Hi James -

I was wondering what are the capabilities of the SP3 USB input. E.g. when I try 96kHz at 24 bit (WASAPI) both foobar and JRiver insist that the player does not support it. 48kHz, however, is supported.
- what are the supported signal formats through USB?
- are there optional drivers (e.g. ASIO drivers) that can be used in conjunction with the SP3?

Thanks,

Assaf

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1339 on: 29 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm »
Hi James -

I was wondering what are the capabilities of the SP3 USB input. E.g. when I try 96kHz at 24 bit (WASAPI) both foobar and JRiver insist that the player does not support it. 48kHz, however, is supported.
- what are the supported signal formats through USB?
- are there optional drivers (e.g. ASIO drivers) that can be used in conjunction with the SP3?

Thanks,

Assaf

USB is 48/16.  The circuit board for USB is modular though so upgrade will be available when the chips become available.

james