SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1300 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:02 pm »
Hi Vipers,

On all my other Bryston gear I have at home I prefer Silver - I have to say though that the SP3 in Black is reallllly niiiiice :thumb:

james

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #1301 on: 21 Nov 2011, 05:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing those pics, Vipers!  Gorgeous.

Vipers

« Reply #1302 on: 21 Nov 2011, 05:49 pm »
Thanks Guys,

Just posted this the Bryston thread on AVForum so I thought I'd share it over the pond :)

Well, just been jumping from track to track trying out all my favourite demo music, now I'm going to try and be unbiased, honest, but I can honestly say I've never heard my system sound this good before.

Now this maybe due to fact that this is the first time I've tried a full Bryston system in my new house with the larger living room, but it sounds bloody awesome, it is the only way to describe it, it's been real goose bump time :)  I'm sure my BP26 would have sounded this good but I sold it before moving, so I'll never know, one thing is for sure though, when it comes to 2ch the SP3 definitely is no compromise.

I'm getting a clarity in the mid/treble like I've never heard before, amazing seperation and a real transparancy, especially when it comes to vocals, they are so clean and revealing, totally captivating.

So I think it's fair to say that the SP3 has passed it's 2ch test with flying colours, and at last I've got a processor that is phenomenal with music, I'm sure it is going to blow me away when it comes to film soundtracks equally, unfortunately I've got to wait till at least the weekend to hook up multi channel, but in all honesty that isn't too bad as I've got loads of music I want to listen to in the meantime.

Right, back to it :D

BTW, Thank You to everyone at Bryston, I couldn't be happier :thumb:

SoundGame

« Reply #1303 on: 21 Nov 2011, 06:44 pm »
Thanks Guys,

Just posted this the Bryston thread on AVForum so I thought I'd share it over the pond :)

Well, just been jumping from track to track trying out all my favourite demo music, now I'm going to try and be unbiased, honest, but I can honestly say I've never heard my system sound this good before.

Now this maybe due to fact that this is the first time I've tried a full Bryston system in my new house with the larger living room, but it sounds bloody awesome, it is the only way to describe it, it's been real goose bump time :)  I'm sure my BP26 would have sounded this good but I sold it before moving, so I'll never know, one thing is for sure though, when it comes to 2ch the SP3 definitely is no compromise.

I'm getting a clarity in the mid/treble like I've never heard before, amazing seperation and a real transparancy, especially when it comes to vocals, they are so clean and revealing, totally captivating.

So I think it's fair to say that the SP3 has passed it's 2ch test with flying colours, and at last I've got a processor that is phenomenal with music, I'm sure it is going to blow me away when it comes to film soundtracks equally, unfortunately I've got to wait till at least the weekend to hook up multi channel, but in all honesty that isn't too bad as I've got loads of music I want to listen to in the meantime.

Right, back to it :D

BTW, Thank You to everyone at Bryston, I couldn't be happier :thumb:

Hi Vipers - good to hear.  I'd be interested in your assessment of the difference between your vinyl and digital (Bryston) front-ends given the resolution of the SP3. 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1304 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:55 pm »
very good setup, Vipers! congratulations :thumb:

al.

BrystonFan

« Reply #1305 on: 21 Nov 2011, 10:48 pm »
Congrats Vipers :thumb:  :drool:

Please do tell how you have it all connected and with what.

Thanks!

Marius

« Reply #1306 on: 22 Nov 2011, 09:03 am »
HI Vipers,

Congrats, sympathize with you....expect to hear from your listening experiences soon...

What rack do you have there? Looks beautiful, but are those platforms detached? I have a need for a new rack, but since I swap around rather a bit, it needs to be easy to move around, and have a simple but adequate "Ikea" cabinet on wheels for now. Nothing worthy of Brystons setup. How do you manage to adjust cabling in your setup, without having to disassemble the whole setup?

Thanks,
Marius

Here we go, the SP3 sitting in the rack at last, just warming her up before my first listen :thumb:

saveloy

« Reply #1307 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:14 pm »
http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/index.php

There you go, Marius. 

Kyri

Marius

« Reply #1308 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:18 pm »

Ritchief

« Reply #1309 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:36 pm »
thanks!

I can fully recommend Hifi Racks, top quality and excellent service.

Vipers

« Reply #1310 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:02 pm »
I can't recommend HiFi Racks highly enough, just ring 01572 756447 and ask for Alisha, she couldn't be more helpful, I've just had to order another 2 tiers to cater for my new phono stage and to put my Oppo 95 in the rack.

Like you Marius I seem to change my kit quite frequently, although hopefully now I have the SP3 that will change, but once you have the tiers you can just order new legs to accommodate the new kit at around £50 for four, they just unscrew.

I've found for Bryston kit that the correct size for each tier is 595mm x 450mm as the standard 400mm is a little on the small side.

It really makes the SP3 sing btw :)

saveloy

« Reply #1311 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »
I can't recommend HiFi Racks highly enough, just ring 01572 756447 and ask for Alisha, she couldn't be more helpful, I've just had to order another 2 tiers to cater for my new phono stage and to put my Oppo 95 in the rack.

Like you Marius I seem to change my kit quite frequently, although hopefully now I have the SP3 that will change, but once you have the tiers you can just order new legs to accommodate the new kit at around £50 for four, they just unscrew.

I've found for Bryston kit that the correct size for each tier is 595mm x 450mm as the standard 400mm is a little on the small side.

Hey Vipers,

What are they like with weight limits?  Those 7Bs aren't exactly light!

Kyri

SoundGame

« Reply #1312 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:23 pm »
Hey Vipers,

What are they like with weight limits?  Those 7Bs aren't exactly light!

Kyri

That's like two inches of hardwood - you could have two guys stand (400lbs) on one of those shelves and it wouldn't buckle.  I'm sure it would easily handle a 28B, let alone the 7Bs but let's see if Viper has a manufacturers rating.

Vipers

« Reply #1313 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:29 pm »
It looks like the max load per shelf is 150kg's, so each shelf will take 3 x 28B's, now there's an idea :)

SoundGame

« Reply #1314 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:51 pm »
It looks like the max load per shelf is 150kg's, so each shelf will take 3 x 28B's, now there's an idea :)

I should'da stuck with 3 guys, rather than 2 - first instinct is most always correct. :lol:

Vipers

« Reply #1315 on: 24 Nov 2011, 09:44 am »
James, quick question, if I set the speaker size to large, which obviously with MB2i's would make sense, and the crossover at 40Hz, is the crossover ignored and the whole frequency range is channelled through the MB's, if this is the case does only the LFE come through the sub?

Thanks,

Marius

« Reply #1316 on: 24 Nov 2011, 09:55 am »
HI Vipers,

SInce they are separate platforms, I'm a bit concerned about stability. My family members tend to run around the place, and I would not want to have misplaced platforms. Are they firmly attached somehow, or indeed 'displaceable'?

Thanks for the details,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1317 on: 24 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm »
James, quick question, if I set the speaker size to large, which obviously with MB2i's would make sense, and the crossover at 40Hz, is the crossover ignored and the whole frequency range is channelled through the MB's, if this is the case does only the LFE come through the sub?

Thanks,

Hi Vipers,

Yes - any speaker you set to LARGE ignores the crossover point.  In studios with movie scores all the speakers are usually set to Large and the .1 channel is strictly an EFFECTs channel NOT a SUB.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1318 on: 24 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm »
Sent: November-24-11 6:54 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: SP3

Hello Mr. Tanner,

Well Mr. Tanner, what can I say: I call a SP3 Processor since about 3 weeks my own.
This Processor ist just awsome!! The performance is stunning!
Total control over the whole spectrum, very clear accurate sound, very crisp reproduction, very logic and easy to use, ......could go on and on....

Have 2 Bryston Power Packs and a 9B SST (3 channel) as Power Amps connected.
Drive a 5.0 PMC Speaker Set up.
Just wanted to tell you that the SP3 is the crown to my Sourround System!! - Perfect!!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Werner Aschenberger
RCM design GmbH

Marius

« Reply #1319 on: 24 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm »
Hi Viper,

I notice you have have the BDA still setup with the SP3.0. Any chance of sharing your experience between the two? I am especially interested whether the double Chip in the BDA makes a real difference with hires material as opposed to the single chip in the SP3.0. I mention Hires especially because it seems to be very difficult to hear big differences on standard cd-resolution between the BCD (single chip) and the BDA/BDP (dual chip)

Marius

Like you Marius I seem to change my kit quite frequently, although hopefully now I have the SP3 that will change,