SP 3.0?

assafl

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1280 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:02 am »
Quote: "I'm still hoping that Bryston will eventually maximize use of the network connection by releasing an app that allows for control of the SP-3 over the Internet.  Wishful thinking probably." 

Wishful thinking at your command - the feature exists now - point your browser at the IP address of the SP-3 - there are full controls of the SP3. Somewhat sluggish but it works.

assafl

« Reply #1281 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:18 am »
Just a quick note before I get to work.  I have had the SP-3 hooked up for 1 day and I must say that anyone that cannot hear the difference between the OPPO and the SP-3 should get your ears checked.  I was expecting it to sound like the SP-2 and maybe a little better.  I really purchased for the HDMI in's & out's.  What I heard after  turning it on   & going through the menu was not the SP-2, and not just a little better, but allot better! 
What I did find a little lacking in detail was the manual.  But a quick e-mail to Mike Pickett, and a quick answer back was all it took to explain my questions.
All I can say is, believe the good reviews you are hearing as they are in my opinion,  correct!  Thanks Bryston!

Totally agreed - I believe the SP3 is indeed a superb product.

I also agree the manual is lacking, but I assume that the SP3 firmware is a work in progress.  Manuals are doomed to always fall behind unless they happen to be online wikis or spread out over forum pages.

I wonder just what the platform is capable of... The odd networking capabilities (DHCP server??) and the USB capabilities makes me think that there are many updates to keep us occupied for quite some time. For example, wouldn't it be nice if a slimplayer application could run on the SP3?   

Alpha10

« Reply #1282 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:47 am »
Thanks James, or I suppose digital into the BDA-1? in theory would you say that the Dacs in the SP3 should outperform the Dacs in in the BCD-1? Does the SP3 use the same or similar Crystal Dacs?

Thanks,

I would have thought, that was the way to go; BCD-1 optical into the BDA-1 and then use the balanced analogue out you already have connected to the SP3.

I believe James said somewhere that the SP3 uses the same Crystal DACs in single formation in the SP3, not dual mode as in the BDA-1.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1283 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:27 am »
I would have thought, that was the way to go; BCD-1 optical into the BDA-1 and then use the balanced analogue out you already have connected to the SP3.

I believe James said somewhere that the SP3 uses the same Crystal DACs in single formation in the SP3, not dual mode as in the BDA-1.

Cheers

Hi

It is usually better in an all in one CD player to use the analog outs - assuming a quality output stage like in the Bryston BCD. The reason is that you know exactly what digital signal is coming off the drive and can clock the drive to the DAC precisely - therefor very low jitter. When you have an external DAC you have to deal with unknowns and therefore have to reclock and resample the incoming signal which results in higher jitter numbers typically.

James

Vipers

« Reply #1284 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm »
I would be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Star Wars Blu Rays through your system.

Note that the Star Wars Blu Rays are in 6.1 surround sound and do not have a 5.1 option in English. Many Blu Ray players including the OPPO's do not handle 6.1 properly (I have both the OPPO BDP-93 and 95). The rear channels should have the same mono rear channel sound but with the OPPO's the sound comes from only one speaker and is not in balance. If your system is 5.1 then the rear channel would either just drop out or be folded into your back channels. Just giving you something to look for so you know it's not a Bryston SP 3.0 problem if your running in 7.1. with a 6.1 disc.
Gary

Thanks for letting me know Gary, how does this happen though, surely the Star Wars Blu Rays are one of the most anticipated releases so far on Blu Ray, hopefully there will be a firmware update for the 95 to rectify this, at least I now know that it isn't a problem with the SP3.

Vipers

« Reply #1285 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm »
Wishful thinking at your command - the feature exists now - point your browser at the IP address of the SP-3 - there are full controls of the SP3. Somewhat sluggish but it works.

This is something I was thinking about the other day, as I demo quite a few recievers in our store, using the Ipad to control them is a real bonus, especially something like Pioneers app which is very polished.

James, is an Ipad app to access setup and control the features of the SP3 something in the pipeline? I have to say that would be fantastic news :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1286 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm »
This is something I was thinking about the other day, as I demo quite a few recievers in our store, using the Ipad to control them is a real bonus, especially something like Pioneers app which is very polished.

James, is an Ipad app to access setup and control the features of the SP3 something in the pipeline? I have to say that would be fantastic news :)

Hi Vipers

Yes it is certainly something we are going to look at. We are also working on interface software for control systems such as Crestron and Savant.

James

Vipers

« Reply #1287 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:59 pm »

Hi Vipers

Yes it is certainly something we are going to look at. We are also working on interface software for control systems such as Crestron and Savant.

James

Hi James,

Excellent news, can you concentrate on the ipad app first please :wink:

ralph1950

« Reply #1288 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:13 pm »
In my opinion, an owners manual should cover ALL of the menu options on said component.  Explained in (minor) detail for those that want to set up the component themselves and not hire an installer.  What could be done is for an amendment to be sent (by E-mail) to owners of said component to fill in the gaps.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  My other customer that I delivered an SP-3 to is also excited.  Mainly because he was skeptical on the sound quality over the SP-2 and did not expect allot.  He was also surprised.  He is also selling his Olive player if anyone is interested.  I do not know anything about that player but can forward your interest to him though.

ralph1950

« Reply #1289 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:15 pm »

My customer would is also interested in a Ipad app because he controls everything with the Ipad.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1290 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:18 pm »
In my opinion, an owners manual should cover ALL of the menu options on said component.  Explained in (minor) detail for those that want to set up the component themselves and not hire an installer.  What could be done is for an amendment to be sent (by E-mail) to owners of said component to fill in the gaps.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  My other customer that I delivered an SP-3 to is also excited.  Mainly because he was skeptical on the sound quality over the SP-2 and did not expect allot.  He was also surprised.  He is also selling his Olive player if anyone is interested.  I do not know anything about that player but can forward your interest to him though.

Hi Ralph

Yes the SP3 manual at this point has a PRELIMINARY wording across the front of it. I wanted to get our customers started and we also factory set the menus that would be most applicable for most people. We assume as we get feedback we can add info in the areas where people seem to need the most help :thumb:

James

ralph1950

« Reply #1291 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:33 pm »
As always, on the ball and customer oriented!  Thanks James.  :thumb:

Alpha10

« Reply #1292 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:19 pm »
Hi James, I was just reading through the SP3 owners manual (not that I am one, but it is good to dream..). I use a Logitech RF extender with my present pre/pro and have it wired using the a standard 3.5mm stereo phone jack cable. so, is the 3mm mentioned in the manual (snip below) a typo and should really be the standard 3.5mm, or is 3mm another US centric standard? I had a quick google and nothing seem to pop up.

AUXILIARY INFRA-RED INPUT
A 3mm two conductor phone jack which will accept
a hardwired DC voltage that is the electrical equivalent
of the optical signal generated by an infrared
emitter in a remote control. This will primarily used
as by infra-red remote control extenders. The tip
is positive, the sleeve is negative and the signal level
should be 5vdc max. (Positive or “1”) and 0v or
ground (negative or “0”)

It would be really important to me that the Logitech RF extender worked with the SP3.

Cheers

brucek

« Reply #1293 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:34 pm »
standard 3.5mm stereo phone jack cable

Stereo?

ralph1950

« Reply #1294 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:44 pm »
He probably meant 3.5mm mono jack plug.

Vipers

« Reply #1295 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:45 pm »
Here we go, the SP3 sitting in the rack at last, just warming her up before my first listen :thumb:

Here's a few un-boxing pics for anyone who is sad like me :wink:

ralph1950

« Reply #1296 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:50 pm »
Whats with that rats nest of wires behind the rack?     :icon_surprised:

Just a little morning stab!   :lol:
So, how was the listening?  Details.

Alpha10

« Reply #1297 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:59 pm »
Stereo?

Yes, stereo, although Logitech claim that you need a mono cable, going between my RF extender and my Marantz AV7005 pre/pro I use a standard 3.5mm Stereo jack cable, which works perfectly...

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #1298 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:01 pm »
Whats with that rats nest of wires behind the rack?     :icon_surprised:

It is just his rental, whilst a purpose built house is being designed for the kit, lucky @#:+*&^%$...

:thumb:

ralph1950

« Reply #1299 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:07 pm »
It is just his rental, whilst a purpose built house is being designed for the kit, lucky @#:+*&^%$...

:thumb:

Yes, I would say so!