Ordering TP Minis

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Ordering TP Minis
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:54 am »
Hi Tim,

Wow! That's really interesting. I mentioned my interest in the Core Furniture stands because they can be height adjusted. But I also liked the fact that they were wood.

So bring on the TP Mini Woodies!  :D

Gene

Double Ugly

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:05 am »
Hi Gene,

I haven't used them (still use the 'old' stands I purchased from SP Tech with the 2.0s), but the stands from Core Furniture look good and have a solid reputation.

That said, I'm keenly interested in what Tim comes up with, too.  I've heard way too much about his skills to think his design will be anything but first-rate.  Shoot, I might even consider replacing the stands I have now, or getting a second set so I can have both pair of Timepieces elevated.

Hope to see them soon, Tim!  :thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:08 am »
Hi Jim,

I was looking at pics in your gallery and couldn't help noticing the stands you had your TP's on. What are those?

Gene

ooheadsoo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:09 am »
That puts me between a rock and a hard place because when my TPs eventually come, I might want stands other than my Ikea bar stools, but on the other hand, when I upgrade to the Revelation Mini, those stands will be wasted.  Oh, the tough decisions I'm faced with...

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:25 am »
Hi Jim,

I was looking at pics in your gallery and couldn't help noticing the stands you had your TP's on. What are those?

Gene

Those are the aforementioned SP Tech stands I purchased from Bob when I got my Timepiece 2.0s.  They've served me well, and have withstood a lot of stress (moving them around with speakers atop them) through the years.

BTW, those pictures are horrific; they really are much nicer in person.

bhobba

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:34 am »
Now here's something you audiophiles can shoot down for me. Where does a cable TV box rank as an audio source? More than anything I like to listen to the music channels just because of the randomness of the selections.

Same here - I love mine.  Since it is digital (at least mine is) better than radio - but since it is compressed not as good as CD's - but very listenable, that's for sure.

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:40 am »
Now here's something you audiophiles can shoot down for me. Where does a cable TV box rank as an audio source? More than anything I like to listen to the music channels just because of the randomness of the selections.

I'll go back to my suggestion of a HDD-based source. 

The Slim Devices Squeezebox (owned two; still have one) and Transporter (my current source) are excellent options, especially when competently modified.  Not only do they allow you to play files ripped to your hard drive via a wireless router (or wired directly, if you want), but each can receive on-line streaming music of almost any genre.  Though most stations stream lossy .mp3 files, the sound quality is usually quite good.

My wife and I have discovered several new artists while listening to streaming music, folks we'd probably never known about were it not for hearing them while listening to one of the on-line stations. 

Still, the ability to receive streaming music is just one of many reasons to consider a HDD-based solution.  Sound quality the best reason IMHO, with the price/performance ratio coming in a close second.

bhobba

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:30 am »
Hi DU

The Slim Devices Squeezebox (owned two; still have one) and Transporter (my current source) are excellent options, especially when competently modified. 

Out of curiosity, and info on my upgrade path when I finally get my super, which source do you prefer - the Squeezebox or the Transporter?

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:30 pm »
Out of curiosity, and info on my upgrade path when I finally get my super, which source do you prefer - the Squeezebox or the Transporter?

It's been too long since I've owned a properly modified Squeezebox, so it's impossible to make comparisons.

I'm quite happy with my Transporter, though I intend to have it modified further.  The modifications performed on mine only scratched the surface, and only in the past few months have the real experts in the field (like Dan Wright of ModWright and [presumably] Alex Peychev of APL Hi-Fi) released its true potential.

bhobba

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:01 pm »
The modifications performed on mine only scratched the surface, and only in the past few months have the real experts in the field (like Dan Wright of ModWright and [presumably] Alex Peychev of APL Hi-Fi) released its true potential.

That's my take as well.

Thanks
Bill

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:10 pm »
Well, it was all speculation until today. But once you put your money down, it's now serious.

I told Bob, I felt like I just bought one speaker.  :D

Now the waiting game starts.

Oh, I got the walnut finish and I can just imagine what those matching walnut stands will look like that Tim is working on.

Gene

mcullinan

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:17 pm »
Gene,
SWeet! They are gonna be beautiful... Good luck and take lots of photos when you get them.
Mike

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:28 pm »
Hi Mike,

Ain't it funny about people getting excited about going in debt.

I just got my 16MP Canon DSLR today as well. So I'll be able to take pics of the mini's in infinite detail.  :green:

Gene

Double Ugly

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:41 am »
Well, it was all speculation until today. But once you put your money down, it's now serious.

Yes, indeed.  Congrats!  :thumb:

I told Bob, I felt like I just bought one speaker.  :D

:lol:  It does sort of feel that way, doesn't it?

Now the waiting game starts.

True enough.  I'm working on my 3rd go round of 'been there, done that', but it's been worth the wait each and every time.

Oh, I got the walnut finish and I can just imagine what those matching walnut stands will look like that Tim is working on.

Walnut is my favorite, too.  The pieced-together strips of solid figured walnut is gorgeous IMHO, and I suspect Tim's stands will be a must-have accoutrement.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:25 am »
Hi Jim,

Bob in fact agreed that I HAD just bought one speaker. I asked him if it would make the sound of one hand clapping.  :D

Gene

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:01 am »
Nice.....a Louisiana purchase...... :wink:

Good luck Gene.....I think you'll enjoy the Mini's. So far all the feedback is very positive. 8)

I also selected the Walnut when I ordered....looks good in those photo's.

Happy listening...... :beer:

Chris

opnly bafld

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:19 am »
Walnut looks real nice.  :thumb:

Lin

ooheadsoo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:23 am »
Hi Mike,

I just got my 16MP Canon DSLR today as well. So I'll be able to take pics of the mini's in infinite detail.  :green:

Gene

Wow, what's that, a 5D?  Would love to see those pictures when they're ready.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:39 pm »
Hi Mike,

Gene

Wow, what's that, a 5D?  Would love to see those pictures when they're ready.

Hi,

Yeah, the digital photography bug bit me as hard as audiophilia infected most of you guys here. My progression through the Canon DSLRs goes something like this:

10D - 6 MP - new (my son has it in N.J.)
5D - 12 MP - new
original 1D - 4 MP - used (while I still had my 5D in order to see what the 1 Series bodies were all about)- eventually sold it
1Ds2 - 16 MP - used (traded my 5D + cash)
came to my senses and sold most of my camera gear
1Ds2 - another used one (obviously I've lost my mind again)

Now mind you, I'm strictly an amateur. These cameras take much better pics than I do.  :green:

Gene

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:41 pm »
Nice.....a Louisiana purchase...... :wink:

Good luck Gene.....I think you'll enjoy the Mini's. So far all the feedback is very positive. 8)

I also selected the Walnut when I ordered....looks good in those photo's.

Happy listening...... :beer:

Chris

Hi Chris,

It's all those positive posts around here that convinced me to give Bob's creation a try.

Gene