Emerald Phsyics Speakers - ModWright Recommended!

modwright

Re: Emerald Phsyics Speakers - ModWright Recommended!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:37 am »
Hi guys, first of all, please DO share here about this product and the 'Behr'. As a CS2 owner, of course I will be modifying my own :).  I expect that great things can be done with it.  I will first look at upgrading op-amps and evaluating the power supply as this is pretty elementary mods 101.  After this, I will evaluate the in/out interfaces and see what can be done to improve this.

It IS an intentionally inexpensie and cost-effectie unit of course and Claytons choice of the Behringer for the CS2's makes a lot of sense.  I am certain that it can be made better however and I will be pursuing it in stages.

I see the following as potential weak points:

1) Power supplies.
2) Analog stages in/out.
3) DACs.

It is often said, and is true, that just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it SHOULD.  Having said that, there is a point at which it won't make sense to completely re-build this unit, but I do believe that key upgrades can be made that will greatly improve it and hence the sound of the CS2's while keeping the price/performance ratio in its place.

The first round won't inolve tubes, sorry ;), but a regulated supply is certainly a possibility and the analog stages will need close attention.  I will see what is already being done and try to blaze new ground.

More to come!

Thanks to all of your for your support of ModWright and our mfg. division, MWI.

Take care,

Dan W.

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2008, 01:18 am »
I wanted to take time to recommend Underwood HiFi as an exceptional dealer for Emerald Physics, MWI (ModWright Instruments) products and also the Wyred 4 Sound amp (sole distributor) Class D, multi-channel amps that proved to work exceptionally well with the CS2's in Las Vegas. They also represent an exceptional value ($2495 for 4CH amp that we used at CES). Underwood Hifi 770-667-5633; www.underwoodhifi.com.

We showed in two rooms in Las Vegas this year, at THE Show at Alexis Park with Art Audio, Acoustic Zen, Billy Bags and NSR and we had the opportunity to show at the Venetian at the very last minute, as part of CES.

We had tried to get a show room at the Venetian, but booked too late and were wait-listed. Nothing became available until literally a week before the show started.  It takes a lot of time and resources to prepare for these shows.  As these things go, when opportunities knocks, one has to act quickly.  I literally had 60 minutes to put a room together, meaning finding speakers, amps and rack, to complete the room, if I was write the check and accept the room.  We of course had our modified Transporter and Analog via our SWP phono stage as sources.  We also had our LS 36.5 + PS 36.5 preamp and used the Running Springs Jaco as line conditioner.  Billy Bags was good enough to provide us with an exceptional rack for the room, but I still needed good speakers and amplification.  Walter was one of the people that I called in that 60-minute interval and his introduction between Clayton Shaw of Emerald Physics and I, resulted in a great combination.  In all fairness, I had not heard either the speakers or Wyred 4 Sound amps prior to the show, but I have known Walter for quite some time and knew enough to trust his recommendation.  As a MWI dealer and Emerald Physics dealer, he knew that the combination would be excellent and he was RIGHT!

The beauty of the Emerald Physics CS2 speakers, is, obviously, their high level of performance and extremely high level of value.  This is something that we at ModWright Instruments have always strove for, with the introduction of our initial SWL 9.0SE to our current LS 36.5 and LS 36.5 w/PS 36.5 external supply.

I simply wanted to take this opportunity to give credit where credit is due.  The Emerald Physics CS2 speakers are an exceptional speaker and mate exceptionally well with our MWI equipment.  Underwood HiFi is a great dealer of ours as well as Emerald Physics and Wyred 4 Sound and can help you put together an EXCEPTIONAL performance and HIGH-VALUE system, along with first-class service.

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2008, 09:15 am »
My 'Red' - I think I have the ONLY pair ;). of CS2's arrived back from Vegas - FINALLY today and the boxes look a bit beat, but I will be unpacking them over the weekend and making sure that all is well.  I don't have two stereo amps at the moment, so I may need to beg/borrow/steal some gear to use them in the short term ;), but I will be able to open up the Behringer at least and will share my plans of potential upgrades there.

Thanks,

Dan