D5nf-BVR enclosures completed

floobydust

D5nf-BVR enclosures completed
« on: 14 Jan 2008, 05:56 am »
 Okay, new thread, no scrolling for pictures, so here's some quick pics taken late night.

So, now that you made it to the end of the pics... guess I'll leave my initial impressions, albeit quite short...

First things... they weigh in at a scant 40 pounds each... but the bottom chamber under the port is empty. Having the spikes is nice, easy to level and have firmly on the ground... down side, 40 pounds on 4 spikes... not enough weight... lead shot is on the agenda. Have spent a few hours listening to them but also did numerous hours of break-in on the drivers which settled out the T/L parameters so they maintained high consistency before they were installed.

Initial listening impressions:

1- first thing that hits you... very quick transient response and is probably more transparent than any cone driver I've heard.
 2- they are very sensitive.... play quite load with less than 1/8-watt. (moved the tap from 8- to 16-ohm on my 45 amps)
 3- very extended high-frequency range, the sizzle on cymbals and the metallic air from brushes is crisp and clear, like it's right there.
 4- BVR enclosures have a good bottom end... no, they don't cover the last 1 or 2 octaves fully, but they are solid and punchy, you feel it.
 5- musical... vocals, brass, orchestral, percussion... so far everything sounds excellent (sans a bad recording).
 6- excellent control and large (cone) excursion easily allow low to high SPLs with no strain, grain or shout.

So, that's it for now... will report more once I get more time with them and get the shot loaded for better stability. So, initial verdict:

Very happy camper so far... they are very impressive drivers, they may have no rival.

Regards, KM

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: D5nf-BVR enclosures completed
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2008, 09:51 am »
thanks for the update, most interesting

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:17 pm »
Lovely.

Bracing inside?

dave

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm »
Nice cabinets  :thumb:

I heard the d5-nf at RMAF, and liked them a lot... they were in Maxxhorn enclosures. The Omega's with the latest hemp drivers are also very good.

Dave

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
They look great! You did a nice job. Welcome to the Feastrex fraternity! haha

I'm about to build another batch, with less resonant cabinet. The pine wood was too ringy. I am interested to know how you find 200-300Hz, whether your hunch that oak is stiff enough was true.

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2008, 03:31 am »
Congrats, Kevin.  I'm watching this fraternity closely :D.  May even get to hear one sooner rather than later.

Rich, how about Corian :D.  Really though, how about double-wall CLD with BB ply and green glue?

-- Jim

floobydust

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:07 am »
 Thanks to all for the kudos.... nice project albeit a bit time-consuming on the assembly and such.

I put lots of bracing inside. I used leftover oak strips sliced down to a bit less than 3/4 x 3/4. There is corner bracing in the top section with 8 pieces plus the rear mounting of the driver which was another 5 pieces of wood. The lower section has a double-thick bottom of oak (1-1/2" thick) plus additional braces on the angled bottom board. All total, 19 pieces of bracing cut and fitted plus an MDF rear section to seal the lower cavity without the cabinet back which will hold the lead shot in. I used 1/2" - 3/4" polyfil sheets for the damping on the sides, top and bottom and 1" polyfil on the rear.

For mounting I used 8-32 cap bolts with stainless flat washers and stainless lock nuts and of course the larger M8 bolt in the rear of the magnet housing. I have to say the enclosure appears very solid.... and sounds excellent. The lead shot will mainly be for added weight as I installed spikes on the bottom for leveling and a more solid foundation.

I've done more listening and I'm very impressed... the D5-nf is truly in a class by itself for single drivers. I've not done any measurements yet but there doesn't seem to be any odd resonances from the enclosure, so I think the oak has done it's job.

Regards, KM

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2008, 01:14 am »
Rich, how about Corian :D.  Really though, how about double-wall CLD with BB ply and green glue?
-- Jim

I'm thinking more along the lines of how Alon Wolf is making Magico speakers, with strips of laminated ply on edge. It will take a whole sheet of plywood to make one of these tiny speakers. I like the CLD/green glue idea too, maybe for maiko. Corian has nice colors!
Rich