CES Show Las Vegas

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
CES Show Las Vegas
« on: 13 Jan 2008, 05:50 pm »
hi, james!

has there been any new technologies at the vegas show that bryston is probably interested in?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: CES Show Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2008, 05:58 pm »
hi, james!

has there been any new technologies at the vegas show that bryston is probably interested in?

Hi Alex,

We had meetings with chip suppliers for the new HD Audio surround formats so we will be making a decision on that soon.

We looked over a number of CD Drives for our new outboard Drive (to go with our BDA-1 External DAC) and will be testing a few on them soon.

I also thought the DIGITAL out iPOD dock from Wadia was a great idea.

james

alexone

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2008, 06:52 pm »
hi, james!

Hi Alex,

We had meetings with chip suppliers for the new HD Audio surround formats so we will be making a decision on that soon.

We looked over a number of CD Drives for our new outboard Drive (to go with our BDA-1 External DAC) and will be testing a few on them soon.

I also thought the DIGITAL out iPOD dock from Wadia was a great idea.

james

james,

i assume you mean a docking station for ipods. a possible feature on bryston components?

if yes, what makes it a great idea (technical)?

and: the outboard drive runs with mps 2? (hope you are not tired to answer this question...)

thanx,
al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:21 pm »
Hi Al,

Yes I mean an iPOD docking station.

Getting a digital bitstream out of the iPOD is a good idea over the standard analog out.  It is something we will look at in the future.

NO the outboard DAC will have it's own 'internal' independent dual power supplies -it will not use the MPS-2.

james

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:26 pm »
James, any thoughts with respect to processor design and when new digital boards are required to incorporating a USB input along with HDMI on the back so that someone can just plug in an iPod or another player and have the convenience of lots of music?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:36 pm »
James, any thoughts with respect to processor design and when new digital boards are required to incorporating a USB input along with HDMI on the back so that someone can just plug in an iPod or another player and have the convenience of lots of music?

Hi Phil,

Yes we are going to start on the 'Audio Only' SP3 next month and hope to have all the HD chips in house by March or April 2008.

It looks at this point that it will have 4 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs.  We are also thinking about an Outboard Power supply for the SP3 as well as an outboard Video section added at a later date.

Are you saying have a USB input on the SP3 as well?

james

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2008, 08:01 pm »

Hi James,

I'll butt in and add that I think that would be a great idea (USB on the SP3). Any option that can possibly add more integration with other components is a win-win in my book. It'll work great if a friend comes over with a Macbook full of tunes...two seconds later and everything is up and running. 7.1 balanced outs never hurt, either.  8) In any event, really looking forward to what you guys cook up...this should be the year I finally upgrade the A/V gear.

alexone

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2008, 10:10 pm »
Hi Al,

Yes I mean an iPOD docking station.

Getting a digital bitstream out of the iPOD is a good idea over the standard analog out.  It is something we will look at in the future.

NO the outboard DAC will have it's own 'internal' independent dual power supplies -it will not use the MPS-2.

james

james,

i meant the cd drive. so i assume it will have its own power supplies.

al.

jethro

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2008, 12:35 am »
Hi James:

I was wondering whether you know yet if the SP-1.7/2 will not be upgradeable to an SP-3 ?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2008, 12:57 am »
Hi James:

I was wondering whether you know yet if the SP-1.7/2 will not be upgradeable to an SP-3 ?

Thanks.

Hi Jethro,

Not yet - we are going to build the SP3 and then see what can or can not be filter down.

james

_andy_

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:00 am »
Hi, i was wondering regarding the SP-3......will it emulate the SP-2 formfactor as far as backplane size/height...or is that pretty much an unknown at this point?
It's my understanding that SP1.0/1.7/2.0 were all essentially same formfactor.....maybe i'm wrong on that. How would you characterize the development....building upon the SP-2 to incorporate HD-audios or more of a groundup redesign?

Thx & rgds,
Andy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:51 am »
Hi, i was wondering regarding the SP-3......will it emulate the SP-2 formfactor as far as backplane size/height...or is that pretty much an unknown at this point?
It's my understanding that SP1.0/1.7/2.0 were all essentially same formfactor.....maybe i'm wrong on that. How would you characterize the development....building upon the SP-2 to incorporate HD-audios or more of a groundup redesign?

Thx & rgds,
Andy

Hi Andy,

To early to say on the formfactor at this point.  We hope by having an outboard power supply we can maintain a similar size but it may have to increase to 3 rack spaces.

At this point we are going to design the SP3 as an independent unit and then see if we can move the technology down into a retrofitted SP2.

james

_andy_

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2008, 02:47 am »
Hi James........interesting. Are there design incentives or perhaps manufacturing incentives on remaining w/ 2u height vs expanding to 3u that compete with or offset the idea of going with more 'chassis room' right from the get go?  thx again.

rgds,
Andy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:14 am »
Hi James........interesting. Are there design incentives or perhaps manufacturing incentives on remaining w/ 2u height vs expanding to 3u that compete with or offset the idea of going with more 'chassis room' right from the get go?  thx again.

rgds,
Andy

Hi Andy,

It is really just a matter of keeping circuit paths as short as possible.

james

_andy_

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:30 am »
......understood. Btw, as far as what Bryston would like to see for timing, when would you estimate getting to the point of manufacture...let's say by CES 2009 for an SP3 prototype?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:39 am »
......understood. Btw, as far as what Bryston would like to see for timing, when would you estimate getting to the point of manufacture...let's say by CES 2009 for an SP3 prototype?

Hopefully early summer.

james

_andy_

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:44 am »
....wow, so that might indicate shipping them before end of 08?

andy
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2008, 05:53 am by _andy_ »

Tony1

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2008, 02:31 am »
James

Any chance of adding XLR inputs for stereo bypass to the SP3?

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2008, 02:47 am »
James

Any chance of adding XLR inputs for stereo bypass to the SP3?

Tony

We are looking at that.

james

MOZ

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2008, 02:44 pm »
Hi Phil,

Yes we are going to start on the 'Audio Only' SP3 next month and hope to have all the HD chips in house by March or April 2008.

It looks at this point that it will have 4 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs.  We are also thinking about an Outboard Power supply for the SP3 as well as an outboard Video section added at a later date.

james

4 HDMI in and 2 out... well that's just what i need !!!
So you say next summer ?
Ok for me, i'll wait  :thumb: