Emerald Physics at CES 2008

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Emerald Physics at CES 2008
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:09 pm »
Mine are toe'd in similarly.  Crossing right in front of the listening position, about 7' out.

Doesn't this arrangement reduce/limit lateral expansion of the sound stage?  Have you experimented with other configurations?  Personally I have found this arrangement works well with enclosed designs, but not so well with dipoles.

Not in my setup.

I tried a variety of configurations, but this one produced the best results and has very good sound staging (front to back and left to right).

George

cab

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2008, 10:23 pm »
Mine are toe'd in similarly.  Crossing right in front of the listening position, about 7' out.

Doesn't this arrangement reduce/limit lateral expansion of the sound stage?  Have you experimented with other configurations?  Personally I have found this arrangement works well with enclosed designs, but not so well with dipoles.

Not in my setup.

I tried a variety of configurations, but this one produced the best results and has very good sound staging (front to back and left to right).

George

Did you ever post your review you talked about a month or so ago? Or did I miss it somewhere?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2008, 11:41 pm »
Yes, I tried many combinations, though I found this one to be best in my situation.  Maybe it has something to do with the waveguide approach...[/quote

Very interesting.  What exactly is the function of the wave guide and how might the CS2 sound without it?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2008, 11:59 pm »

Not in my setup.

George

Did you ever post your review you talked about a month or so ago? Or did I miss it somewhere?

I didn't post a formal review, but rather made additional comments here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47671.100

You can read an excellent review that I agree with wholeheartedly by somebody who bought the CS2's from me here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49727.0

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2008, 12:00 am »
Very interesting.  What exactly is the function of the wave guide and how might the CS2 sound without it?

The waveguide is an integral part of the speaker and isn't something you put on or off.

George

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2008, 12:00 am »
Yes, I tried many combinations, though I found this one to be best in my situation.  Maybe it has something to do with the waveguide approach...[/quote

The waveguide is integral to this design using a compression driver, so it is not an "optional" feature that can be removed. 

Waveguide theory is a little above my pay grade, but for more info you could certainly get a lot of good info from speaker experts here - Bob Smith -SP, Duke -AudioKinesis.  Or if you're really curious, just google "Dr. Earl Geddes", who wrote quite a few research papers on waveguide theory and application, and brace yourself....  :D