GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers
« on: 11 Jan 2008, 01:57 am »
Response Audio is now offering custom built, fully assembled GR Research Open Baffle speakers. The only thing you will have to do is unpack them, set them up in your system and start enjoying the music.

We wanted to release these speakers at a price that was very attractive for those who simply want to set up thier speakers and start listening. As you can see below, we have incorporated a lot of added features to bring out the very best these speakers have to offer and make them as user friendly as possible

The first speaker available is the OB 7 and will contain the following features:

*The OB-7 will come standard with the M130X woofer upgrade
*Custom outboard crossovers will utilize user adjustable 3-4 position BMS (Bass Management System) and 3 position TLC (tweeter level control) switching.
*All speakers cabinets will have the bass enclosure lined with No-Rez damping material
*Bass section will utilize Acousta Stuff
*Custom built speaker enclosures by Custom Concepts will utilize the veneering and curved side panels as seen in the photo below.
*Custom built matching outboard crossover enclosures also built by Custom Concepts (pictures coming soon)
*External crossovers will utilize Speak-On connectors to connect crossover to speaker. We have to use outboard crossovers for this speaker to be able to accommodate the BMS and TLC networks.  One "umbilical cord' will be used for the bass drivers with a separate cord being used for the MTM section. (4 umbilical cords total per pair of speakers)
*Point to point connections in the crossovers. No circuit boards
*Sonicap capacitors used throughout
*SoniCap Teflon bypass capacitors used throughout the high pass filter
*SoniCap Gen II bypass capacitors in all other areas.
*Alpha Core copper foil inductors
*Mills resistors 
*Speak-On terminated 30" long connection cords for outboard crossover - 2 per speaker
*High quality 14 awg. DH Labs Silver Plated OFC cabling w/Teflon dielectric used throughout the speaker and umbilical cords.
*High quality bi-wire binding post used on the crossovers
*High quality RoHS compliant silver solder used for all connections so we are good to go on international orders.
*Aside from the adjustable BMS and TLC, the crossover circuit itself is untouched.
*Optional Mundorf capacitors are also available for the high pass filter. Inquire for price.

Introductory price for one complete pair of speakers with all features mentioned above is only $3850.

Further details and pricing for all models available on our website.
http://www.bellaextreme.com/gr%20research.htm

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2008, 12:47 am by Response Audio »

markC

Re: GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers now available
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:10 am »
You Boys have been busy. Sounds like a very fair price for a lot of craftmanship.

mca

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:40 am »
Where can one find specs on these speakers? I don't see anything on your site or the GR Research site. 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2008, 03:57 am »
Where can one find specs on these speakers?

Both the OB5 and OB7 are rated at 91dB and 6 ohm nominal impedance. The OB-5 I beleive is rated down to 45Hz in a ported enclosure with the OB-7 just below 50Hz in a sealed box. Don't quote me on the frequency responses though as I want to confirm with Danny. I will post more accurate figures once I get them from Danny.

I will also post some in-room responses of the OB-7 when I get a chance but keep in mind my room is about 1000 sq. ft.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:11 am »
You Boys have been busy.

And there's more to come. As mentioned in previous post, 2008 will bring about many new, interesting ventures. The CLS-9 is one of our larger ventures with the GR Research OB speakers filling the gap for speakers under $5k.

Sounds like a very fair price for a lot of craftmanship.

Thank you. We will try to maintain these prices for as long as possible. I should have further pricing on the OB-7 without the M130X woofer upgrade as well as the OB-5 posted by tomorrow evening.

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:33 am »
*Custom built speaker enclosures by Custom Concepts will utilize the veneering and curved side panels as seen in the photo below.

North American cabinets :thumb:  Denny sure knows his stuff when it comes to cabinets, check out the pillowed edge leading into the driver recess :bowdown:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:01 pm »
Good morning AC,

We now have the webpage up with updated information and pricing on all models.

http://www.bellaextreme.com/gr%20research.htm

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:37 pm »
Having a problem with this website. I cannot see all of the information, its truncated to the right of the description of "OB-7 standard". I see no place to scroll right either.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:42 pm »
Having a problem with this website. I cannot see all of the information, its truncated to the right of the description of "OB-7 standard". I see no place to scroll right either.

Looked ok to me on Firefox.  Maybe he's fixed it already

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:49 pm »

Having the same issue using IE 6.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:59 pm »
Sorry about that. Give 'er another try. I have removed the tables from the page. You may need to refresh. Let me know.

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2008, 06:02 pm »
That fixed it for me Bill, thanks.

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:23 pm »
Pretty damn sweet Bill.  Looks like a trek up from Delaware to hear these and the emerald physics will be in order sometime this spring :wink:

NB

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:37 pm »
Looks like a trek up from Delaware to hear these and the emerald physics will be in order sometime this spring

Come on up........and bring a friend or 10. :green: By spring we should have a lot of new speakers burned in and ready to play with. Just to name a few.

CLS-9
 OB-7 Deluxe
 OB-5
 GR Research subwoofer
 Emerald Physics CS2

nature boy

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:50 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Geez Bill, your making me drool.

NB

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2008, 09:35 pm »
Great service to the community Bill!! I should have my custom Denny OB7s here soon! I will see if I could use any Response crossover mods shortly! Any chance of a traveling 3205? I have grand hopes of biamping a good tube amp up top and my SS Mac on the 130x's.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2008, 09:41 pm »

GR Research subwoofer

I didn't find this on the website -Which sub is this? Is this the older model sw12a with passive radiator? Or going to be one of the new servo subs?

Jon L

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2008, 09:43 pm »
Dang, that looks nice.  This thread makes me even more impatient waiting for my AV123 X-Static OB's to arrive, hopefully within a month (?).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:13 pm »
Any chance of a traveling 3205? I have grand hopes of biamping a good tube amp up top and my SS Mac on the 130x's.

Probably not going to happen as they don't handle a lot of shipping very well. I do have a real nice 3205 Signature power amp for sale that was traded-in with about 60 hours on it for $795 including shipping from TN aa

I didn't find this on the website -Which sub is this? Is this the older model sw12a with passive radiator? Or going to be one of the new servo subs?

The new servo sub that hasen't yet been released.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2008, 10:54 pm by Response Audio »

TomS

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:25 pm »
That 3205 amp for $795 is a steal.  It would be nice for the top end of those X-Statics, though I'm not sure they would need biamping.  You might find it's a superb full range amp for them.  I originally bought mine to biamp the top end of the CS2's, but I've also discovered it sounded great full range on my Merlins.  You might want to try it.

Tom