Room Treatment advice

John B

Room Treatment advice
« on: 26 Sep 2003, 10:09 pm »
What's kept me from attempting room treatments before has been a combination of not knowing what to treat, how much to treat, and the cost factor.   I also have a tough room to even consider treatment.   So, if I were to take a chance here with Eighth Nerve products, what would you recommend for this room (Note:  there's a hallway to the right of the right speaker, and those rear floorstanders are gone, replaced by bookshelf speakers.  The TV has changed to a widescreen set that's not as tall. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28520.html

WilliamL

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2003, 07:53 pm »
Hi John,

I would start out with a RoomPack and 4 Seams. This is an economical way to get the room dialed in much better. Also, you may want to add a few 8th Nerve Floorstanders if budget allows.

Feel free to call us toll free at 877-8th-Nerv for detailed room configuration. All customers who order a RoomPack or more get a free consultation!

At the very least, TREAT THOSE UPPER CORNERS BEHIND YOUR SPEAKERS. :!:  :o

You may also want to check out some of the other pictures of rooms from this thread that were treated with our products for a better idea of placement. We will have more instructions and pictures on our website too...all in time.

Cheers and Thanks,
Bill

John B

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2003, 03:48 pm »
Bill,

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on doing the treatments in December and will give Eighth Nerve a call then.

Since my rig is a combination 2-ch/Multichannel audio system, do room treatments and their placement differ in effectiveness between the two sound schemes?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Room Treatment advice
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2003, 03:19 am »
Quote from: John B
What's kept me from attempting room treatments before has been a combination of not knowing what to treat, how much to treat, and the cost factor.   I also have a tough room to even consider treatment.   So, if I were to take a chance here with Eighth Nerve products, what would you recommend for this room (Note:  there's a hallway to the right of the right speaker, and those rear floorstanders are gone, replaced by bookshelf speakers.  The TV has changed to a widescreen set that's not as tall. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28520.html
                              HEY, wait a minute! I don`t see the Butler 5150 either in your equipment listing OR in the pictures. You got some updating to do John. :lol: Boy that back wall partition`s gotta kill any symetry(mis) between your surrounds doesn`t it John? Definitely a job for 8th Nerve. Regards, Robin

John B

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2003, 02:59 pm »
I don`t see the Butler 5150 either in your equipment listing OR in the pictures. You got some updating to do John.  Boy that back wall partition`s gotta kill any symetry(mis) between your surrounds doesn`t it John? Definitely a job for 8th Nerve

If you're talking the post that is to the right of the couch, I'm sure it has some negative effect , but in general I don't notice much in the way of suppression of the imaging with the rear speakers.   I'd love to remove it, but it might be what's holding up the entire second floor :)  What I'm wondering is if I should treat it with a "seam" piece.    My other problem is there's no way to treat the first reflection point on the left wall, as it's a sliding floor to ceiling slat blinds, and the upper wall corners Bill mentioned needing treatment by my main speakers, I can do the one on the left, but there is no corner on the right, unless you consider the post going up to the stairs the corner; what's behind the speaker is a straight wall going 14 feet further down the hall to the front door.    It's a tough room as I said previously.

I've been meaning to update my system pics for a couple of years now, but since I keep changing out gear so quickly I've not found a good stopping point to update :)  What I have now though should last at least a year :)  The only item that remains in my rig from those pictures is the Velodyne sub.

satfrat

• Restricted
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2003, 05:23 pm »
I`m real curious as to what recommendations 8th Nerve comes up for you. I`m afraid I don`t understand too much about room treatment and don`t really consider it an issue for my little room but yours definitely looks to be an issue that should yield some interesting recommendations for sure, Good luck John! Regards, Robin

John B

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2003, 05:51 pm »
I`m afraid I don`t understand too much about room treatment

I'm pretty much in the same boat, and the more I try to figure it out, like with reading this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278701 the more convinced I am that I need a professional involved, with regards to taking readings with an RTA, and then using just the right type & amount of room treatment materials.

satfrat

• Restricted
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2003, 08:38 pm »
THIS I understand as I felt the same way when it came to my television. I could either get an AVIA dvd and go it alone or get an ISF Dealer w/color analyser and get an accurate job done. I spent the money and it was well worth it. I`m sure room treatment is no different,,,, for the best results, leave it up to the professionals. It`s worth considering for anyone that`s seriously into music. Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2003, 02:47 am »
FWIW would you leave a stock PC and rat shack IC's on your mega buck gear?
That's exactly what you do when you put mega buck gear in a bad room.
Bill treated my small NYC apt. His exact quote after his dialing in visit after my purchase
" This room should NOT sound this good. Lot's of glass, old plaster, this room should not sound this good"

All I can say is, it sounds good now!
Thanks Bill.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2003, 02:21 am »
Bill,

Can you explain how your products work as say compared to EchoBusters or Roomlens units?

I have both of the above, but think I can still do a better job of treating my room.

Here is a pic of my current setup:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/galleryimage.php/Zybar-s-Dedicated-Music-and-HT-Room-Living-Room/front_of_room_in_HTmode_as_of_11_05_03.sized.jpg

What you can't see is that I have a Roomlens next to each of the main speakers (I also put one in between the speakers when listening to music).

Do you make house calls?  I am about an hour north of NYC.

Thanks in advance to your response.

GW

8thnerve

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2003, 02:49 pm »
Quote from: zybar

Here is a pic of my current setup:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/galleryimage.php/Zybar-s-Dedicated-Music-and-HT-Room-Living-Room/front_of_room_in_HTmode_as_of_11_05_03.sized.jpg

Zybar, our products would make a dramatic improvement in this space.  There is no treatment in any of the room seams!  Left, Right, Top Front, and I expect any of the others in the room.  Give us a call at 615-742-4283 or fax us a room diagram at 615-742-4617 and we can recommend product and placement.  And if you are not satisfied, we have a 30 day return policy.  Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Nathan

zybar

• Volunteer
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2003, 06:14 pm »
Nathan,

I have called and left messages multiple times over the last few days, anybody there?

George

Hantra

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2003, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Nathan,

I have called and left messages multiple times over the last few days, anybody there?

George

Hmm. . I called too.  They were having phone issues a few weeks ago, but I thought they were fixed.

If I have to take down my 8th Nerves, and hop a plane to New York to consult, I will.  But I'll be billing 8th Nerve.  hahaha

B

WilliamL

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2003, 08:10 pm »
ALL:

You can not imagine how busy everybody has been over the last 2-3 weeks. Nathan is up to his ears in mods and I had a flu that basically put me under for 2 weeks.

I am leaving for the Far East for 10 days to take care of business there; however, feel free to call me tonight between 9:30-11:30, or tomorrow morning or afternoon at 718-606-2563.

Thanks,
Bill

Guan

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2003, 04:10 am »
You're not swinging by Hong Kong are you?

If so, it would be nice to meet up. Seafood dinner in exchange for a free post-treatment check-up?  :D

Guan

WilliamL

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2003, 04:45 am »
Hi Guan,

Offer is tempting. but I only have time for just Japan this time. Hope to get to Hong Kong and Singapore next time, and hopefully India sometime too in the future.  :)

Cheers,
Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2003, 06:04 am »
I guess this isn't a good time to be inquiring about a set of Echo's for my listening room but all this banter about room treatment along with the expansive soundstage of my Lorelei's has me thinking. For $50, I think I just might give them a shot. :D   Regards, Robin

WilliamL

Room Treatment advice
« Reply #17 on: 8 Nov 2003, 06:32 am »
Its ALWAYS a good time to inquire about Echo's.  :D

Heck. Get the corners. It will make a huge difference. You can call us, email us, etc. There are other folks besides me at Eighth Nerve who can take your order and give you the best help!

You may want to spend a couple more $$ and put seams where you thought about Echos. Depends on your room...

Cheers,
Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2003, 09:14 am »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
Its ALWAYS a good time to inquire about Echo's.  :D

Heck. Get the corners. It will make a huge difference. You can call us, email us, etc. There are other folks besides me at Eighth Nerve who can take your order and give you the best help!

You may want to spend a couple more $$ and put seams where you thought about Echos. Depends on your room...

Cheers,
Bill
                        I really only have one side wall on the right of my 11' x 17' room that's fairly bare. I have two windows with insulated drapes on the left wall and one window done up the same on the front right. I have two hanging silk plants, one in each corner of the front wall and the rest of the front wall is covered with plaques. The back has a 6' center opening to the dining room with 12" wall from the ceiling. The left rear corner has the window drape but the right rear is clear as is the whole right side wall. Any dampening would have to be done there. I'm thinking one Echo on the right center wall and the other on the center back over hanging wall? Or maybe closer to the right corner. To tell you the truth, I like what I'm hearing as it is but for $50, it would be nice to see if there can actually be a improvement made and of course there's always your return policy if it doesn't pan out. Just thinking out loud here. :lol: Regards, Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
Room Treatment advice
« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2003, 05:17 pm »
Bill, it was great talking to you today and I look forward to hearing from you when you get back from your trip.

Nathan, thanks for your call yesterday.  You can see some pics in the gallery (zybar) and I will send you dimensions of my room.

Great service so far guys.

Can't wait to hear what these room treatments can do in my room.

George