Wide Angle Converters?

ooheadsoo

Wide Angle Converters?
« on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:10 am »
I just purchased a nikon d40 body used - don't have a lens yet.  I'm thinking about the 18-55 VR, and that will stretch my budget by a good amount, already.  I don't have the money for $500 lenses, but I'd like a wider angle than the 18mm afforded by the 18-55 VR.  Are wide angle teleconverters viable?  There seems to be converters available from $20 all the way to $200+, and while I know I certainly can't afford a $200 teleconverter, what about the cheap ones in the $20-50 ballpark?  Obviously I'm not expecting quality like I would get from a real super wide from tamron or tokina, or even sigma, but it does cost less than 10% of the cost of those lenses.  Can I assume that the quality will not be 10% that of the $500 ultra wide lenses?

JohnR

Re: Wide Angle Converters?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:22 am »
What's your lens budget?

jcpix

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:26 am »

Stick to the real lens.  Converters and off brands will just disappoint and you will be looking to upgrade in 6 months.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:41 am »

Stick to the real lens.  Converters and off brands will just disappoint and you will be looking to upgrade in 6 months.

Hey!

Yup, agreed on this.

You will likely be disappointed with those on the front of the lens converter, especially those cheap one. :roll:

You have to ask yourself if you are going to use a wider lens a lot,  than it is better that you wait and save money for it. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jcpix

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:44 am »

Further on this,  there is a lot of used Nikon gear out on the market right now. I'd look for a good used Nikon lens that might not be all that expensive.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2008, 05:19 am »
I don't really have a budget for a wide angle lens.  I have budgeted myself 1 lens to buy in the coming month, and it needs to be general purpose, around $200.  The 18-55 VR fits that bill just about right.  I have reason to believe I will be shooting around dawn/dusk given where I live, so VR seems important to me.  I'm not a serious shooter, so I'm not dedicated enough to take a tripod with me everywhere I go.  Right now, I don't shoot anything at all since I don't have a lens.  As a result, I really don't know how often I will be swapping lenses, not to mention the added cost of having to buy a camera bag so that I can carry the extra lens around.  Once I have the bag, I know I'll want a sb400 flash, too.  Then I'll want one of those lightsphere diffusors.  It's not a good direction for me to take, and I know I will head down that path once I start.

I don't really see any affordable used nikon super wide angle lenses on ebay.  Any pointers on where to look?  I see an auction for a 20mm f4 manual focus that is quickly getting to the $200 range and I couldn't live with that as my only lens.

I guess the other problem with buying "vintage" used wide angle lenses is that they won't autofocus with the d40 body.  I'm not sure I could live with that, given my past manual focus speed performance, years ago.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2008, 05:38 am by ooheadsoo »

jcpix

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2008, 05:43 am »

B&H photo in New York is a good place to start. Adorama in NY is also good.  Roberts Camera in Ohio sells some used gear. Also try KEH camera in Atlanta.  I see a Nikon 18 to 55 for $144 on their site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/2870/Used_Equipment.html

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/home.aspx

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2008, 06:01 am »
Thank you for the links.  The 18-55 on KEH is non VR, though.  Also, I think that's actually more expensive than the upgraded version of the lens is, new, non-grey market: http://www.adorama.com/NK1855DX2U.html  A refurb of the upgraded lens is $80 on adorama.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2008, 06:20 am »
Ah, I didn't realize the 18-55 had been updated with VR! You'd get a lot of mileage out of that one I expect. Pity no user reviews yet. But someone has to be first! ;)

The best option in the ultrawides would probably be the Sigma 10-20mm but that's still around $400 used. (Disclaimer: never used it myself.) There wouldn't be any point in the 20/4 prime.

You can always try stitching software if you're thinking of the ultrawide for scenic use.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2008, 07:37 am »
My only concern is that a 18-70 or 18-135 with VR will be released soon.  I would prefer one of those to the 18-55 if the price difference is within $150.  I think I will give an inexpensive converter a shot, in a while.  Although it will undoubtedly have significant distortion, I simply cannot afford a $400-500 dedicated wide angle at this time, and I don't want to get sucked into photography like I have with audio.  I tried to justify my audio hobby for a while saying I would have a career somewhat related to it and that I could use it to "assist" my work, but even that excuse has been taken from me - I have nothing up my sleeves for photography.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2008, 08:15 am »
There are rumours of a 16-85 VR too... you could just get the refurb and see how you feel about lens upgrades in a few months. Seems hard to go wrong for $80!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2008, 01:51 pm »
Hehe, sorry for being unclear.  The $80 refurb lens is the lens that they updated with a quieter motor, but it does not have VR, either.  That is just the standard kit lens that ships with current d40s.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2008, 01:58 pm »
I realize that :) I meant that you can get a lot done with it for very little money, and decide later on where to spend more once the dust settles on all the new lenses (so to speak!)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:13 pm »
Yeah, $80 is tempting...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:45 pm »
I don't want to get sucked into photography like I have with audio. 
Yea, good luck with that Abe. :wink:

Bob

ooheadsoo

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2008, 02:17 am »
The thing that's been bugging me about getting the 18-55 without VR is that once a decent ranged VR does come out, my 18-55 non-vr will be completely obsolete. 

Bob, does your converter make the image fisheyed?  I don't want that effect.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2008, 02:29 am »
The thing that's been bugging me about getting the 18-55 without VR is that once a decent ranged VR does come out, my 18-55 non-vr will be completely obsolete. 

It will still take the same pictures :) Here are some of mine taken with that lens (before I started getting obsessed about "better" lenses ;) )

http://lostupnorth.net/travel/philly07/
http://lostupnorth.net/travel/phoenix/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2008, 03:55 am »
No Abe, it doesn't. Although with extreme zooming it can give a 'binocular effect' thereby making the useable (viewable) section of the photograph round....If that makes sense?  :scratch:
I received your PM about the lens. The following is a link to the eBay auction I purchased:

{***Note, anyone unfamiliar with my situation and this seller; Heed warning. This is NOT an advertisement. Quite the opposite actually. I'm mearly posting to show Abe what lens I have}

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110197693675&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Bob

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2008, 06:52 am »
Bob: thanks.  I think they call that effect vignetting. 

John: those are better shots than I could ever make, so i guess it's settled.  I'll be getting that refurb 18-55 for the time being.