My New MaxHemp/DeepHemp Speaker System

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: My New MaxHemp/DeepHemp Speaker System
« Reply #40 on: 18 Feb 2008, 08:49 pm »
Louis,

Will there be alnico/Hemp drivers available for the 4" Omegas?

--Roy

Louis O

« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:17 pm »
Hi Roy,

I'm looking into it. I have to figure all the costs and there may be a lot of tooling with these. If I change to a cast basket that will make it pretty expensive.

I have 6" whizzerless drivers being made now. Haven't received the prototypes yet.

Thanks,
Louis

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #42 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:21 pm »
Hi Jerome,

Many thanks and that's a swing for sure it will settle in.

Hi Louis,

Since I last posted on Saturday the problem has completely gone away and all of my recordings are sounding spectacular again.  I noticed a considerable improvement on Tuesday and then went back and listened to a few records that I recall giving me a specific problem with very shouty vocals.  Even Al Smith's "Hear My Blues," which never sounded good on these speakers on the two prior occasions I played it, really sounds great right now (I'm listening to it while I write this).  Yesterday I spun about 6 records and they all were fantastic.  I'll be listening to more today.  Hopefully that will do it for the rollercoaster ride.

Thanks again Louis.

--Jerome

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info Jerome. Couple questions if that's ok.

Did you leave them playing full time over the last few days?

How many hours is that in total now?

Thanks,

Steve.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #44 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:47 pm »
Hi Steve,

No, I didn't leave them playing full time and wouldn't even consider that in my setup.  I have a wife and three daughters and need to keep the peace.  :wink:  I tend to listen at fairly loud levels. 

That said, I do listen to a lot of music, and since I have been on vacation this week I have been listening more than I usually do.  I think the hour meter is somewhere about 360 hours or so.  I usually have the system playing music between 8 and 10 hours a day unless I am on the road.  This week it has been about 12 hours per day.

--Jerome

ikakenewa

« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2008, 02:49 pm »
As far as the shoutyness, etc., I was at wit's end with my XRS's. I'm pretty sure I was a pain in LC's tush there for a bit. I really could not get my head around my true love/hate relationship with my speakers and it was driving me nuts. On some recordings the speakers sounded nothing less than divine, as if I'd never heard the particular cd/lp before, then on others I knew within three seconds of playing that it just wouldn't work. I had a list of cds and lps I wouldn't let go near my system. It was a drag.

Break-in was obviously a big part of why I still have these speakers but even more importantly, for me, was an amp switch. Seriously, that was the night and day realization for me. I was using vintage Fisher monoblocs  with the feedback loop taken out and a tubed preamp. Interestingly, they're el84 amps. Perfect, right? Wrong. Awful.

I bought a Creek 4140s2 at 40 wpc.  Brilliant.  Absolutely perfect.  Within ten seconds I knew pretty much that all my problems were solved. No joke. Then for fun I got a Scott 340B, rated at 35wpc. Found one for 75 bucks, actually. Same deal. Switched back to the Fishers: lean highs, gutless bottom, loose mids (sounds like how I felt the last time I drank a whole bottle of tequila).

There are people on this forum who've forgotten more about impedance and all that than I'll ever know, but I'm a firm believer in my personal XRS's liking a bit more juice...not tons, obviously, but it does sound to me like both the Creek and the Scott have a firmer grip on the XRS's drivers. That's the best way I can describe it...Not very technical. Certainly repeated listening/break-in, etc., have a lot to do with the increasing smoothness I've found in my XRSs but more than anything else it was the amp switch.

Back to work.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #46 on: 22 Feb 2008, 06:24 pm »
Well, seeing that I have much more invested in my amps than my speakers, if push came to shove the speakers would go before the amps.  My amps were custom made to order by someone who is every bit as talented with amp design and construction as Louis is with speakers.

But that's really beside the point and I honestly don't think it will come to that.  I have been on vacation all week, have been spinning records the entire time, and my speakers have been sounding spectacular all the while.  I'm not going to be deterred in the least bit by what I and Louis both believe is a break-in related matter that will work itself out if it hasn't done so already.  If anything, my experience suggests that one might need to be a little more patient than might be expected to give these speakers a chance to fully run-in.  I don't see that as a problem for someone such as myself who is dedicated to getting the most out of his audio investment.

--Jerome

rodge827

« Reply #47 on: 23 Feb 2008, 03:30 am »
Hi Jerome,

I couldn't agree with you more, patience is the key here. I've been running in my Compact Hemp and dual Deep Hemp Combo for the last couple of weeks and have experienced some of the same listening issues you have. After I get another 100 or so hours on them I'll be able to comment better on the sound. I've also been running in some new and recently modded gear as well. So patience has been a big part of my audio life at current. I will say that so far I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase, and highly recommend Louis ( a super dude) and his speakers. Your previous thread and this thread is what brought me to him.

Rodge

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2008, 01:12 am »
Well, the magic is certainly back.  I have been in musical heaven all week, spinning record after record, and it has all been glorious.

I began the morning with Frank Sinatra.  He's my favorite male vocalist bar none, and I really like a lot of them: Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin.  Nobody knew how to swing like Sinatra.

This was a vinyl stereo reissue from Capitol Records of this 1955 classic that was originally pressed in mono.  The sound of Sinatra's voice on my speakers was magnificent!!  This also happens to be my favorite Sinatra album from his years on Capitol, when he was really in the prime of his career.  The slate of songs on this record is strong throughout: You Make Me Feel So Young, Old Devil Moon, Pennies from Heaven, I've Got You Under My Skin, Love Is Here To Stay, and Anything Goes are just some of the highlights.  Sinatra's range on this album is remarkable (baritone through tenor).  The sound of this record on my system really reminded me of the sheer joy in music.  The quality of the presentation made it so easy to get lost in the performances.  This is what it's all about folks.

I then moved onto another timeless Sinatra classic from his Capitol Records years.  This time I had the pleasure of tearing the shrink wrap from a sealed copy of Come Fly With Me.

This was also a stereo reissue on Capitol Records, but this one had never seen a turntable until today.  Wow, very little surface noise and a sonic purity that put an ear-to-ear grin on my face.  While this album is not as strong song-wise as Songs for Swingin' Lovers, it is still a teriffic album of Sinatra belting out great swing in his prime.  I've had this one on CD for years and just recently found a sealed vinyl copy.  The vinyl sounded so good that I really wanted to toss the CD out of the window.

After that I moved on to September of My Years, which was released in 1965 on Reprise Records (the label was founded by Sinatra).

This one was a 180g reissue from RTI records.  It was a first rate pressing and had a very low noise floor.  This album is not swing.  Sinatra had just turned 50 and this record was filled with introspective, melancholy, and reflective songs.  It is quite a somber recording.  But Sinatra's powerful and stately baritone takes you on an emotional ride.  Perhaps this record might carry a little more meaning for me personally, since I am about 18 months away from turning 50 myself.

How does one go from a somber Sinatra record to Little Feat?  Easy.  Put the records on the turntable and drop the needle!  :lol:  Ok, sorry about that.

Waiting for Columbus is arguably one of the greatest live recordings ever made from one of the greatest live acts in popular and rock music.  If you don't have this on vinyl you really owe it to yourself to find a copy.  There's not a drop of filler to be found on this two record set.  The recording and mixing engineers were at the top of their game on this one.  The recording features the excitement of a live concert without the crowd noise overwhelming the sound and performance.  This is one live record that actually sounds good!  The rhythym section had my DeepHemp hammering out the bass and percussion with aplomb.  On guitar and vocals this was one of Lowell George's finest moments.  He would tragically die of a heart attack a few years later and the band would fade into obscurity.  My system delivered this performance in all of its splendor and glory.  What a ride!

I've always liked the music of Joe Jackson.  The guy is incredibly ecclectic in his approach to music and that has always had a certain appeal to me.  My favorite record of his is a jump swing record called Jumpin' Jive.

I think Jackson had a lot of courage to do a record like this in 1981 when he had an established reputation as a new wave rocker thanks to his debut album Look Sharp, and it's hit single Is She Really Going Out With Him?  I can only imagine what the execs at A&M records said when Jackson told them what he wanted to do as a follow-up to the reggae tinged Beat Crazy: You wanna do a what kind of album?  But I really believe that Jumpin' Jive is one of Jackson's crowning achievements as an artist.  He proved to the younger generation that swing was cool (10 years before the neo swing movement began) and that he had the musical chops to pull it off.  Featuring a great collection of classics such as: Jack, You Dead, Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby, Five Guys Named Moe, The Jumpin' Jive, and You're My Meat, the arrangements and Jackson's vocals give these songs new life.  And Yes, as a 22 year old in 1981 I thought this was one cool record and actually had a copy of it.  I am pleased to have it again, as well as a system that can do this marvelous recording justice.

What a great week it's been.  :D

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2008, 06:06 pm by jsaliga »

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2008, 01:23 am »
Thanks Jerome, you've got me searching for a couple of the records you mentioned above, and excited to get my Supers and Deeps ASAP.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2008, 03:34 am »
One other thing that I would like to note.  I can enjoy very long listening sessions without fatigue.  I have not been able to do this on any other loudspeaker I have ever owned.

I went through eight long players yesterday and a dozen today, effortlessly.  No kidding.

Here are all the records I listened to today:

1.  Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
2.  Frank Sinatra - Come Fly With Me
3.  Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
4.  Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
5.  Joe Jackson - Night and Day
6.  John Lennon - Walls and Bridges
7.  Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World
8.  The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
9.  Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart
10. Fleetwood Mac - Penguin
11. Fleetwood Mac - Heroes are Hard to Find
12. The Moody Blues - To Our Childrens Childrens Children

I think I started at about 10AM and just finished up a few minutes ago.  It was a great way to spend the day.

--Jerome

mattyturner

« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2008, 05:17 pm »
I have a pair of Omega SuperHemps. Right now though i'm with my folks and haven't listened to my hifi for almost two weeks. This post reminded me what a pleasure it is just to sit down and listen to some albums on a Saturday morning or whenever is available.

It also reminds me of a hiking trip I made last year when I had no music whatsoever, not even an ipod for a solid two and half weeks. When I got back to the hotel and got my ipod I listened to the Goldberg Variations performed by Glenn Gould (the 80s recording I think it was).

That was actually one of the most profound listening experiences I ever had. I felt something near ecstasy and excitement listening to a very well known recording to me. Even though I have been doing some listening on my laptop through headphones I am hoping for a similar revelation when I go home. However- what to choose to listen to first?!

Thanks for the posts Jerome, I have been enjoying your thoughts not just on these speakers but listening to music in general.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #52 on: 24 Feb 2008, 07:22 pm »
Hi Jerome,

IMHO this is the very best album I have ever heard on my Omegas. AMAZING acoustic guitar and showcases the incredible speed and tone of these speakers. :dance:

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on how this album sounds on your Maxhemps.

Rodrigo y Gabriela

I've had this for a few weeks now and have listened to it twice.  Sorry for not commenting on it sooner.  I think I might have slightly mischaracterized the music based on a few sound samples I heard.  I now think that referring to this as nuevo flamenco is somewhat off the mark.  It is great sounding acoustic guitar work with a spannish flair to be sure, and comes through very fast and clean on my Maxhemps.  I especially enjoyed the cover of Stairway to Heaven.  But as good as this is on CD I would love to see what can be done with this title on vinyl...assuming this was recorded and mastered on analog tape.  There is a sense of immediacy that I think might be missing from the CD that a good quality vinyl pressing would capture.  I have not had time to level check the digital audio on this CD with Adobe Audition 3, but I don't recall hearing any distortion or clipping.  All in all an excellent acoustic guitar recording that's a worthy addition to any music lover's collection.

Thanks for the tip.

--Jerome