Killer sound for your iPod, we're gettin it first!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Killer sound for your iPod, we're gettin it first!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:22 am »
Another question would be - will iMod work with Wadia?

I agree with Vinnie - iMod is a portable, very good sounding digital player that would work well in a small 2 channel home system.
Besides there are choices now with iMod - 4G, 5G, 5.5G with souped up V-Cap/V-Dock upgrade options and flavors of of LoD cables.

Good Luck

Hi saisunil,

I think I read that the Wadia iTransport only works with the newest models (6th generation).  I don't believe it works with the iMod units (4th and 5th gen.).  Somebody please correct me if I do not have this right.

Thanks,

Vinnie

oris98

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:23 am »
I am missing something here..  If the iPod is running only MP3 which is compressed audio. How would the Wadia be able to extra high fidilality music from the sourc file (MP3) and pass the digital to an outboard amp for high end audio playback ?

Thanks.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:29 am »
I am missing something here..  If the iPod is running only MP3 which is compressed audio. How would the Wadia be able to extra high fidilality music from the sourc file (MP3) and pass the digital to an outboard amp for high end audio playback ?

Thanks.

You can load WAV or Lossless files into an iPod.  You are not restricted to MP3.

Huck

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm »

Thanks.

You can load WAV or Lossless files into an iPod.  You are not restricted to MP3.

Hi: Maybe a dumb question, but.... if I use Limewire(free) to add music to an i-Pod,does this go in as "lossless", or is this (lossless) only used when copying a c.d. to computer, when using i-tunes?. Thanks a lot, Huck     p.s. Sorry for the hi-jack,seemed like a good time for a question! Huck

nature boy

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2008, 03:35 pm »
Here is a link to an You Tube interview and demonstration on the Wadia iTransport iPod
dock. Looks cool and also transfers video too.

http://live.audiogon.com/events/the2008/vids/Wadia_room.html

NB

nature boy

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2008, 03:41 pm »
think I read that the Wadia iTransport only works with the newest models (6th generation).  I don't believe it works with the iMod units (4th and 5th gen.).  Somebody please correct me if I do not have this right.

Based on the CES report from Audiogon, the iTransport only works with the newest Apple iPods' (6th generation) and a few 5th generation models.  Best to have a 6th generation iPod to be on the safe side.  The Wadia representative interviewed said these would begin shipping in March.  :drool: :drool:

NB

Philistine

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2008, 04:02 pm »
This is a great idea/concept from Wadia.

My concern is that the highly competitive nature of the mp3 market drives constant innovation and change.  Every year we see Apple bringing out new models with the resultant lifecycle of each generation getting less and less.  Apple has all the research $$$ to do this, but for a smaller manufacturer it's a huge gamble to put resources into following Apple only to find that they've moved on and abandoned the generation your accessory/device was based on.
Who knows what an ipod will look like in 2 years time?

I wouldn't want to invest in equipment that has an uncertain future support path, and see the Slimdevices products as superior platforms for our hobby/disease.

kfr01

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2008, 04:17 pm »
160gb iPod and uncompressed files (not apple lossless) and you have about 200 albums at CD quality resolution that you can put in your shirt pocket! Plug it into your DAC and go!

What's the difference between apple lossless and uncompressed? 

It should be zilch.

nature boy

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:24 pm »
I wouldn't want to invest in equipment that has an uncertain future support path, and see the Slimdevices products as superior platforms for our hobby/disease.

Very good points raised.  A computer based music storage system and Slim Devices squeezebox or transporter products seem to provide the most flexible and future-proof arrangement for a home audio system.  The main drawback to me has been a user friendly interface, although the Duet may resolve this problem.  It is also a more expensive approach, particularly if one modifies the squeezebox or transporter.

Using an iPod with FLAC files does offer greater portability and use in multiple environments - home, the road, and your car audio system.  Hey, for $349 + an iPod it isn't a bad deal.

NB 

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:25 pm »
$349 is hardly what I would call an "investment"

Im sure that the iPod in some shape or form will be around for quite some time.
There will also be a much larger install base of iPods than any CD player or
even Transporter for the near future, so I can't see how this is a bad move.

And also considering that Wadia has been a company that has been historically
committed to providing upgrades to their legacy hardware, if there is anyone
I'd buy a product like this from, it would be Wadia.

Matter of fact, I bought six of them, one for each of our reviewers!  

Now that I have spent some time with the iDock, I am completely sold
on this product.  The sound is limited by the quality of DAC you use.

As for the question about apple lossless, you are correct.  However the
codger in me says that every time data gets manipulated, there is a
chance of something getting lost or distorted.  Granted I know this is
unfounded from a scientific standpoint, so it's just me.

So far the tracks I've played that were lossless compared to uncompressed
sound identical...  So that means you can put about 500 albums in lossless
in a 160gb iPod and take them along with you!

TONEPUB

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:29 pm »
Considering that Slim Devices is now owned by Logitech,
(big company that makes a lot of low quality computer speakers)
don't kid yourself.  Three years from now they could decide that the
audiophile market isn't worth servicing any more and there will
be no transporter market.

A lot of audio companies have come and gone over the years....

So I'd be a lot more worried about "investing" 2000 bucks in a
company that's been around for a year or two than Wadia or
Apple.

That being said, if I wanted a Transporter, I'd still buy one!

Personally, I think the Squeezebox and an iPod w/Wadia
iDock and a good outboard DAC would be the way to go....

Philistine

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2008, 06:18 pm »
Jeff - The Wadia interface is a great concept, and the ability to have a mobile device that also serves as a HiFi source has to be applauded.
The concern is that the Wadia is based on the current/projected ipod format, which is evolving at a faster rate, and has greater risk in terms of future redundancy.  Who knows what the next ipod platform will be?

You're correct that Slimdevices/Sonos etc will upgrade their equipment but we'll still have access to files on our computers.the advantage that the Slimdevices/Sonos offerings have is that they're based on industry standards (macs/pc's) as storage/retrieval devices and hence a more robust platform.

Vinnie has done a great job with his ipod mods, but it must be a nightmare for him to keep pace with Apple.

I'm not trying to knock the Wadia, if your review is favorable then it supports the device as a great option with the caveat of future redundancy.     

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:29 pm »
A couple comments

First, at $349 long term support doesn't even cross my mind. As Jeff said, this isn't an investment.

Second, More and more people are coming out of the woodwork in support of Uncompressed over Lossless Compression. I won't go back to lossless compression as I find it fatiguing over long periods of time. I spoke with a very high end manufacturer Friday night about this very topic and he said they have done tests with their gear and notice a difference every time. One problem is all the hardcore fanatics who jump all over those of us who prefer uncompressed music. Why would Joe Sixpack voluntarily put himself through the ringer in one of these forums by stating he notices a difference between uncompressed and compressed music. I am used to it by now and I trust my ears over anyone's opinion.

Panelman

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:42 pm »
[

Now that I have spent some time with the iDock, I am completely sold
on this product.  The sound is limited by the quality of DAC you use.

Jeff, isn't the sound quality also limited by the inability of the iPod to play a 24/96 file?  I thought the Wadia dock was the way to go but since the iPod can't play 24/96 it seems going the Wadia dock route doesn't allow the user to use the highest fidelity that is already available.  Any thoughts on Apple's future with 24/96?

Thanks
Sean

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:30 pm »
If you have a whole library of Apple Lossless how do I convert to uncompressed? Rerip? If Im missing out on some sound then Im all for trying

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:33 pm »
If you have a whole library of Apple Lossless how do I convert to uncompressed? Rerip? If Im missing out on some sound then Im all for trying

In my opinion I think re-ripping is the best move.  People I know and respect who have really looked into lossless compression v. uncompressed have told me there is a difference between uncompressed, lossless compression and files converted from lossless to uncompressed. That is why I suggest re-ripping.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:36 pm »
OK but reripping to what? Cant use itunes right? I ditched WMP for GOM player so what are my options? BTW thanks for your input and help

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:40 pm »
OK but reripping to what? Cant use itunes right? I ditched WMP for GOM player so what are my options? BTW thanks for your input and help

You can use iTunes. I rip all my stuff with iTunes using error correction. I rip to AIFF files. WAV will also work as good.

TONEPUB

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jan 2008, 12:20 am »
Jeff - The Wadia interface is a great concept, and the ability to have a mobile device that also serves as a HiFi source has to be applauded.
The concern is that the Wadia is based on the current/projected ipod format, which is evolving at a faster rate, and has greater risk in terms of future redundancy.  Who knows what the next ipod platform will be?

You're correct that Slimdevices/Sonos etc will upgrade their equipment but we'll still have access to files on our computers.the advantage that the Slimdevices/Sonos offerings have is that they're based on industry standards (macs/pc's) as storage/retrieval devices and hence a more robust platform.

Vinnie has done a great job with his ipod mods, but it must be a nightmare for him to keep pace with Apple.

I'm not trying to knock the Wadia, if your review is favorable then it supports the device as a great option with the caveat of future redundancy.     

I completely do not understand where you are coming from.  I rip all of my music files in uncompressed (wav.) files which ARE a standard format, so how does this make the Wadia/iPod any less valid than the Squeezebox or Sonos?  Both of which are companies with not much history.

Let me clarify something for you.  Music servers are strictly something that I enjoy playing with. There is no time in the near future that I plan on replacing my main source (digital or analog) with a music server, other than my living room system, where I don't have a lot of room.

All of this hardware, no matter who makes it has the high potential of being obsolete or unworkable at some point, that's the nature of the digital world. 

What makes the Wadia iDock so brilliant is that it is a crossover product.  It offers good sound for the MP3 generation and fantastic sound for the audiophile.  I'm much more interested in getting the kids my daughters age (14-17) interested in hi fi than I am in arguing about whether the Transporter is valid.  If you have a transporter and love it, that's great but it's not my cup of tea. 

I have a huge pile of interconnects all worth way more than 350 dollars that I no longer use, so buying a Wadia iDock on the premise that it MIGHT become obsolete at some point in time is not a valid argument for me.

I guarantee that Wadia will sell every one of these they can produce. And Im sure plenty of people that own
Transporters will want one too.  I know plenty of people that have two or three (or six) turntables that they
use for different reasons.  Why wouldn't you have more than one digital source too?  Especially if all of your
files are stored on one big server somewhere?

Philistine

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2008, 12:30 am »
A couple comments

First, at $349 long term support doesn't even cross my mind. As Jeff said, this isn't an investment.

Second, More and more people are coming out of the woodwork in support of Uncompressed over Lossless Compression. I won't go back to lossless compression as I find it fatiguing over long periods of time. I spoke with a very high end manufacturer Friday night about this very topic and he said they have done tests with their gear and notice a difference every time. One problem is all the hardcore fanatics who jump all over those of us who prefer uncompressed music. Why would Joe Sixpack voluntarily put himself through the ringer in one of these forums by stating he notices a difference between uncompressed and compressed music. I am used to it by now and I trust my ears over anyone's opinion.

The remark you are making over 'uncompressed' vs lossless is a topic of great interest.
As we are embarking down the audio path of using a hard drives as a storage medium then any feedback on the benefits of different compression techniques is highly relevant.  The advice and comparative information we have been fed so far clearly states that uncompressed and lossless readings are identical in terms of audio quality.  If we are now being given conflicting information that this is not true we need to explore this before we all discover that our FLAC files are inferior.  Can you elaborate on this and the findings of the 'high end' mamufacturer and their tests that you were talking to.