DIYCable New Years Resolutions

Kevin Haskins

DIYCable New Years Resolutions
« on: 4 Jan 2008, 06:00 pm »
Ok.... here are the top-ten New Years Resolutions @ DIYCable.   

#1.   Complete the Exodus Audio Web Site!

#2.   Fill out subwoofer lineup.    DPL-10, DPL-15, Shiva-X, Tempest-X, Maelstrom-X, PR-15

#3.   Fill out an Exodus Audio Driver Lineup:   EX-Tweet, EX-4, EX-5.25, EX-6.5, EX-8, EX-10

#4.   Get Woofer Widget Solution into full production.   Integrate customer feedback design issues into the design & offer multichannel options.

#5.   Update DIYCable Web Site

#6.   Get my CNC machine built!

#7.   Loose 20lbs (ok.... has nothing to do with DIYCable but I want it just the same).

#8.   Get all the junk out of my warehouse that is collecting dust.

#9.   Integrate Woofer Widget into a couple plate amp solutions.

#10.  Last but not least!   Make a profit!   

klh

Re: DIYCable New Years Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 06:08 pm »
Not a bad list :D. Numbers 3 and 4 look most interesting to me.

Larry McConville

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2008, 06:49 pm »
Happy New Year Kevin,

Now that the pleasantries are dispensed with; Maelstrom-X update 8)

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:10 pm »
Happy New Year Kevin,

Now that the pleasantries are dispensed with; Maelstrom-X update 8)

Larry

I don't have any new information at this time.    Its been through one prototype revision, we asked for a couple changes and I'm waiting on the next one.    I should get the second prototype within the next couple weeks but CES & the holidays has put a little bump in the process.

The motor was built right, our changes are to the voice coil, surround, & dust cap.   All the changes are fairly trivial so I think the next prototype should nail it.

Price is firm now @ $349 each for a full 7.1L of displacement.     Final parameters will be taken from the production run to be as accurate as possible but we should be within 10% on the prototype.    The biggest changes from prototype to production are cms related which don't tend to be too meaningful in the final design analysis.

The other driver in the prototype stage that I've not released information about is the DPL-15.    Its a dipole/IB driver with about 4L of total displacement capability.   A little less total excursion than the Tempest-X but a little more Sd.    A very small/compact motor with a 2.4" voice coil for good power handling.   High Qts & low Fs with a target price of $125 each.    It should easily be the industry leading value product for IB applications with a target shipped price of $25/L (in 4 packs) displacement for IB installs. 

The PR-15 is something I've been chewing on.   PRs have not sold that well historically because a port is always cheaper.    They start to make some sense though for high output drivers where it becomes very difficult to cram a large port into a relatively smaller box.    You don't have the port chuffing or resonance issues related to long large diameter ports with a PR but the cost is higher.    I think we could do a PR-15 with our same basket and keep the price down to around $80 per passive radiator.    Two of them would work with either the Shiva-X or Tempest-X allowing some design flexibility for smaller boxes.    We might need four of them for the Maelstrom-X but we could drop the pricing in 2 or 4 packs for those types of applications.   
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2008, 08:30 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:10 pm »
Not a bad list :D. Numbers 3 and 4 look most interesting to me.

#10 is pretty important to me.  :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:15 pm »
I vote for #4 too.  Awe, what the hell, I'll pull a lever for #10 too.
Good luck this year, Kev.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:51 pm »
I vote for #4 too.  Awe, what the hell, I'll pull a lever for #10 too.
Good luck this year, Kev.

Thanks!   

Just think of it this way though.   All of them depend on #10, probably even loosing the 20lbs. 

HeatMiser

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:14 pm »
Wow, exciting list!

All those drivers to look forward to, all news to me.  You've implied (I think) that you don't really want to be in the raw DIY driver business outside of subwoofers - does this mean we can also look forward to some new kit designs over the next year?  Care to drop any hints?

I missed the boat on the 2641 (now I'm kind of glad, with your new designs looking so impressive and based on drivers where you control the quality and availability) so I'm especially curious about any similarly ambitious large-scale designs you might be cooking up for us  :D

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:28 pm »
I'm waivering on the raw driver sales.   Some relationships have changed in the last couple months and there is an opportunity for me to take advantage of it.   I like the idea of having my own Q/C & design freedom with the transducers.

My primary goals for the year are driver development and working on Anadigm enabled signal processing & room measurement tools.    There just isn't enough time in the day nor money in my bank account to do everything.     That doesn't mean I won't develop some loudspeaker packages, but it does mean that they will come only as my time & pocketbook allow.   

Having said that I'm working on the Kepler documentation now.    :wink: