Nuforce Icon-1 - the next big thing from Nuforce (in a small package)

Feisal K

• DVD-A registry
Does it have the power it takes to drive the sptech mini tps in a desktop environment?

I thought I read elsewhere, 10W per channel

shokunin

Does it have the power it takes to drive the sptech mini tps in a desktop environment?

Depends on how loud you want to listen.  I have SP Timepieces 2.0 on my desk and even with a 5w tube amp, it got loud "enough" for me.  Of course I was 1m or less away from the speakers with plenty of rear-wall reinforcement, but I'd imagine 10w would be good. If not, you could biamp with two Icon-1's and maybe even actively bi-amp.

raven

No news about the headphone output?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Yes, it has! Casey said the sound from the headphone output makes his hair stand (it is a compliment, meaning it sounded so real).  Well, that's after Casey did improvement recently.

A line out will be added to the production version.  We will be evaluating the production sample at end of Feb (factory will be close for 10 days due to Chinese New Year).  It is all good to go to shock the world again. That's a promise  :thumb:

ooheadsoo

the line out is very important for us hifi pc guys who don't have squeezeboxes, so this is wonderful.

timothyharnett

It's going to be interesting to see if I can attach a Nokia N800 to the USB.  Should make an interesting internet radio.

Don_S

Yes, it has! Casey said the sound from the headphone output makes his hair stand (it is a compliment, meaning it sounded so real).  Well, that's after Casey did improvement recently.

A line out will be added to the production version.  We will be evaluating the production sample at end of Feb (factory will be close for 10 days due to Chinese New Year).  It is all good to go to shock the world again. That's a promise  :thumb:

Are you sure it wasn't a short or bad ground?   :o

styx

Whoa, didn't see this until now. This is damn cool! :drool:

Really looking forward to trying it out. Congrats on a great concept, I'm sure it'll sell well :)

Rockefoten

Seeing as there is an usb it probably has a dac? I wouldnt mind an optical input to be able to use an apple airport with this thingy. That would be very flexible and nice. But I guess that might be to late?

timothyharnett

Seeing as there is an usb it probably has a dac? I wouldnt mind an optical input to be able to use an apple airport with this thingy. That would be very flexible and nice. But I guess that might be to late?

An airport express has a USB socket.  Could that work?  I would have thought USB would be preferable.

anibal1966

i love the concept.

imho, the killer upgrade: the amp inside one loudspeaker + a remote. an almost empty niche -i mean hifi- waiting to eat the mainstream out.

Rockefoten

sorry for the late answer, no the USB on the airport will only work with printers ;(

timothyharnett

sorry for the late answer, no the USB on the airport will only work with printers ;(

Thanks for letting us all know.  Useful.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Please be patient, this is a massive production for us with different scale (in terms of # of units) versus our high-end products so it will take time for us to prepare.
Volume shipment for Icon to retail customers will not occur until April 15 (we're only making 100 units for March 15 production for reviewers and some dealers).  S-1 will shipped about 4 to 6 weeks after Icon shipment.

stefano

A sub will follow in a few months. The 3.5mm out in front is for the headphone out. There is no optical out (got drop). We plan to add a line out at the back.

Hey jason, can you tell me something about the adapter for RJ45 output of icon just for setting my own speaker cables?
IMHO for audiophiles who want to use it as first amp the series cables with this strange socket are a bottleneck... :scratch:

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
We will be selling a Rj45 to binding post connector using the Icon chassis for $79. You will just connect the short Cat5 cable from Icon to IconX (the connector).  You can order the IconX in matching color.
This accessory should be ready in a few weeks.

Please be patient, a lot of goodies are coming  :drool:

stlblue

We will be selling a Rj45 to binding post connector using the Icon chassis for $79. You will just connect the short Cat5 cable from Icon to IconX (the connector).  You can order the IconX in matching color.
This accessory should be ready in a few weeks.

Just curious, why the RJ45 connection instead of a binding post anyway? It doesn't appear to be for convenience, so is it the sound?

Albireo

Just curious, why the RJ45 connection instead of a binding post anyway? It doesn't appear to be for convenience, so is it the sound?
Just guessing here, but maybe the RJ45's extra wiring allows the Icon to know that it's been connected to the S1 speaker, thereby engaging the proprietary frequency curves for driving that speaker?

BTW, I'm a bit surprised by all the hullaboo over using Ethernet cables for the speaker cables. Has everyone forgotten the massive interest in braiding Ethernet cables, particularly just a couple years back? If I remember correctly, such designs were not only inexpensive but noticeably superior to the standard alternatives. In the context of a $249 speaker amp/preamp/headphone amp/USB DAC, I was actually delighted that NuForce decided to take a hint from DIY and introduce everyone to the advantages of using Ethernet cabling for speaker cables, rather than settling for the usual cheap zip cords.

Toka

Heck, I'm GLAD they have their own connection and that they are already included. Saves me money and a potential hassle. Its designed to work with the amp...just plug it in an enjoy.  8)

stlblue

Just guessing here, but maybe the RJ45's extra wiring allows the Icon to know that it's been connected to the S1 speaker, thereby engaging the proprietary frequency curves for driving that speaker?

BTW, I'm a bit surprised by all the hullaboo over using Ethernet cables for the speaker cables. Has everyone forgotten the massive interest in braiding Ethernet cables, particularly just a couple years back? If I remember correctly, such designs were not only inexpensive but noticeably superior to the standard alternatives. In the context of a $249 speaker amp/preamp/headphone amp/USB DAC, I was actually delighted that NuForce decided to take a hint from DIY and introduce everyone to the advantages of using Ethernet cabling for speaker cables, rather than settling for the usual cheap zip cords.

I find it interesting that they are the first T-amp to use them.  What about those that are happy with their current cables or what if the cables included are not long enough? Wouldn't buying the adaptor to use spades degrade the sound because there's more in the signal path? Could they have sold it cheaper by not including the cables?

It may not be a big deal, but Apple lost lots of market share when it "forced" people to have to buy their computers and software. I'm not saying they are doing anything wrong. It's unique (to my knowledge) and I am curious to find out if there is a real benefit. I still may buy one for a sunroom system, but the cables may not be long enough...