Noob Burn In Query - What Loads to Use Besides Amp ?

zhix

Hi All,

I jus send Vinnie my ipod on the 1st Jan to be imod ... extremely excited about my up & coming imod. Currently I am using iAudio X5L + Tomahawk + TF10.

I have a question about burning in my imod. I understand that I have to burn-in my imod by connecting the imod to a load, such as an amp (amp can be switched off).

My question is .. Can i use a normal pair of headphones to act as a load for the imod burn-in ? I intend to be using my existing tomahawk while leaving the imod @ home for burning in so I will not have any additional amps to use just for the burning in the imod.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Noob Burn In Query - What Loads to Use Besides Amp ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:29 am »
Hi All,

I jus send Vinnie my ipod on the 1st Jan to be imod ... extremely excited about my up & coming imod. Currently I am using iAudio X5L + Tomahawk + TF10.

I have a question about burning in my imod. I understand that I have to burn-in my imod by connecting the imod to a load, such as an amp (amp can be switched off).

My question is .. Can i use a normal pair of headphones to act as a load for the imod burn-in ? I intend to be using my existing tomahawk while leaving the imod @ home for burning in so I will not have any additional amps to use just for the burning in the imod.

Hi zhix,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Can i use a normal pair of headphones to act as a load for the imod burn-in ?

I don't recommend this because it might be too loud for headphones, and too low impedance to drive from the line-out. 

Another option is to obtain a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) plug and connect a 5k resistor from Left to GND, and a 5k resistor from Right to GND.  This would probably be an even greater load than you would find with an amp, and will speed up the burn-in process.

Best regards,

Vinnie

zhix

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2008, 01:50 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

thanks for your advise, does this look right ?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2008, 03:02 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Hi zhix,

Yes... looks correct!

Best regards,

Vinnie

zhix

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:42 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Hi zhix,

Yes... looks correct!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie ..

I am using 5.1K instead of 5K resistors .. I don't supposed it will make much difference will it?

I just recieve news that the imod has reach my local post office. THANKS !

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:54 am »
Thanks Vinnie ..

I am using 5.1K instead of 5K resistors .. I don't supposed it will make much difference will it?

5.1K is fine  8)

RICO

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2008, 02:22 pm »
i understand the load 2X5 Kohms for burning pvcaps and imod, but is it the same load to use to burn an headphone amp ?
I ask it because Grado have only 32 ohms and 2X5 Khoms is very far from this initial value.
Thank you for your advise.
it'll be without sens to use imod, pvcaps with an non burned amp.
i demand it because this setup was wonderful with the Hornet, but not top with the predator (better with dac )

Cheers.
Eric.
 :scratch:
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2008, 02:00 pm by RICO »