VMPS RM1 -- re-attach Phase Plug, touch up black finish?

wien1900

I've been lusting after the RM2's since I heard them years back, but can't swing the price.  But I picked up a used pair of RM1's locally this morning and am anxious to hear them.

One of the woofers' phase plug (? cork-shaped/sized cap) was detached.  What kind of adhesive should I use to re-attach it?  Is there any special care I should take?

The black finish on both is a bit scratched in places.  Any suggestions for touching up re-finishing?  Stain? Lacquer? Paint?

I can see I have a lot to learn in setting them up. 

I'm currently driving a pair of Mariah Acoustics with a Crown D-150 amp (75 Wpc).  Should this amp be OK for the VMPS?  I'm not in a position to drop a lot of cash on a new amp now, but could spend some if the sound will be noticeably improved. 

Thanks.

Early B.

Re: VMPS RM1 -- re-attach Phase Plug, touch up black finish?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:58 am »
Regarding the phase plug -- same thing happened to one of the woofers on my Tower II's a few months ago and here's what Brian said I should do:

Try clear silicon sealant.  Scrape residue off the speaker pole piece and the bottom of the phase plug, apply dab of sealant to center of plug, and center by eye.  Allow to dry 4 hrs.

Worked great. Give it a try.

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:31 am »
I have the same speakers that I also bought used for system #2. I have had them about 7 mos. You are in for a treat. Use the equipment you have now until you figure out placement and adjustments. You can Email me at lily1313@comcast.net for more info. Good luck.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2008, 03:48 am »
I've been lusting after the RM2's since I heard them years back, but can't swing the price.  But I picked up a used pair of RM1's locally this morning and am anxious to hear them.

One of the woofers' phase plug (? cork-shaped/sized cap) was detached.  What kind of adhesive should I use to re-attach it?  Is there any special care I should take?

The black finish on both is a bit scratched in places.  Any suggestions for touching up re-finishing?  Stain? Lacquer? Paint?

I can see I have a lot to learn in setting them up. 

I'm currently driving a pair of Mariah Acoustics with a Crown D-150 amp (75 Wpc).  Should this amp be OK for the VMPS?  I'm not in a position to drop a lot of cash on a new amp now, but could spend some if the sound will be noticeably improved. 

Thanks.

Congrats and Welcome to VMPS Country.

RM1's are some very interesting speakers and many have not had the opportunity to hear them.

The advice on the phase plug is the ticket, and I might suggest lying the speaker on its back while the Silicone is setting up, since you don't want it to slip down and start rubbing the driver.

There are some "tuning, set up and tweaking" ideas in the Stickies, and sprinkled throughout the Circle.

We have a fine selection of dealers, and owners to offer advice for your new Friends.

75 wpc is a bit light, but each amp has its own "real power" and you'll discover it when you listen.

If it gets crowded or shrill at higher volumes chances are it is clipping a bit.  I ran a pair of 626Rs to a pretty good volume with a 60wpc Bryston, but the red lights would blink at me if I got to adventurous.

prsalsa

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2008, 02:38 pm »
If you decide to sell them please let me know. I have a pair of tower II SE upgraded with trt caps and an lrc with trt caps, woven carbon woofer's upgrade's about 1 1/2 year old. I have a pair of Tannoy's 615's for my rears and I cannot afford to buy the RM2's. I just found out about the RM-1's and would love to find a pair. i just put up my LRC for sale on ebay to create the $$ to purchase a pair. Maybe you would be interested in a trade. My email is:
infiniti52@aol.com

thx
fredc.