Transporter or Bel Canto Dac3..which would you pick?

Stercom

Re: Transporter or Bel Canto Dac3..which would you pick?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2007, 12:48 pm »
Chris, the Bel Canto does not require a seperate preamp and in fact sounds better if you don't use one. Also save you some money.  :D They have taken great care to keep the digital noise such as EMI, RF and jitter down in this unit which is the name of the game if you want the best sound quality.

PhilNYC

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:02 pm »
I'm thinking of going directly into my 300B amplifier with one of these units. Specs state 1 volt sensitivity for full output..I'm thinking a bit more is needed to get the best out of the amplifier.

Has anyone compared them? Which would be the best bang for the buck? I'm torn...and not sure which way to go. They can both be purchased around the same price. The transporter is a tad cheaper but not enough to sway me in that direction. I'm concerned about gain as well. Hopefully these compare favorably in that area. Also I use a 42 inch plasma as a display so the Transporters display isn't a factor either.

Flexibility and sound quality are what I'm mainly after.

Any other suggestions for preamp/dac units that are PC ready would be appreciated as well.

TIA

IMHO, in terms of "best bang for the buck", I would go Transporter.  Sonically, I think Transporter vs. DAC3 is a matter of taste, but both fit your criteria of "not hard-sounding"...the DAC3 does those "audiophile" things a hair better (imaging, spacial cues, depth), but its up to you whether those are the critical traits for you.  The difference for me is in the functionality and flexibility the Transporter offers in terms of access to your music (using multiple SB/TP in separate systems around your house), not having to run a USB cable to your audio system, not having to have the computer screen on when listening, etc.  One area where the DAC3 beats the Transporter in ease-of-use is if you are using multiple digital sources to feed into the DAC3 vs. Transporter.  The DAC3 has a very simple +/- button on the remote to select inputs, whereas the Transporter requires you to go thru a couple of menus to select the input.  If you plan on using multiple sources and switch between them often, the Transporter might become a little annoying to use.

Disclaimer:  I am a dealer for both Bel Canto and SlimDevices.  I use a Transporter in my main rig (feeding an external DAC), and a DAC3 in my A/V system (2-channel only), so I'm pretty familiar with both products...

Crimson

« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2007, 11:49 pm »
For 2k, there are quite a few options (Wavelength, Hagerman, Empirical, Scott Nixon etc, all USB). Any reason why you're limited to the Transporter or Dac3?

tomjtx

« Reply #23 on: 30 Dec 2007, 11:58 pm »
I like the Transporter as much as I liked the BelCanto but I went with the TP.

If you can use the xlr outs on the TP I think it has a higher output than the RCA outs so you should be able to get louder than you should :-)

An xlr to rca converter plug would do the trick

GHM

« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:52 am »
For 2k, there are quite a few options (Wavelength, Hagerman, Empirical, Scott Nixon etc, all USB). Any reason why you're limited to the Transporter or Dac3?

Hi no reason..I'm not limited to the two units. It was just these two allow me to use them as a preamp and a Dac. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

If you can use the xlr outs on the TP I think it has a higher output than the RCA outs so you should be able to get louder than you should :-)

Thanks for the tip..I thought about this as well. I believe the Dac3 outputs 4.5 Volts on the XLR. While just a tad over 2 on the single ended.
What's the voltage output on the transporter?

mr_bill

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2007, 01:51 am »

Tom,
Do you run direct to amp with the xlr outputs on the Transporter? - this is what I'm thinking of doing.
Bill

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2007, 03:31 am »
Chris, the Bel Canto does not require a seperate preamp and in fact sounds better if you don't use one. Also save you some money.  :D They have taken great care to keep the digital noise such as EMI, RF and jitter down in this unit which is the name of the game if you want the best sound quality.

This guy knows what is going on, the Canto is more than fine by its own.

NewBuyer

« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2007, 04:00 am »
...What's the voltage output on the transporter?

Hey GHM, I see this info (and more) at the Transporter description page. Like here, there are nice forums there too, for even more related info and advice on this front. Good stuff! :)

GHM

« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2007, 04:20 am »
...What's the voltage output on the transporter?

Hey GHM, I see this info (and more) at the Transporter description page. Like here, there are nice forums there too, for even more related info and advice on this front. Good stuff! :)

Thanks NewBuyer..some how I missed that on the specs..I've been reading so much lately, everything is starting to run together..I'll go over and check the forums out! :D

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:43 am »
Transporter is a new device/concept. It might be too much to invest 2K in it (atleast that is why I went for the SB3). If you think USB is okay the Bel Canto is good. If not, I second the good idea from the guy with the bad moniker - a modded SB3 + Bel Canto. If you are not into mods, a Behringer SRC2496 between the SB3 and Bel Canto, might help, even if the Bel Canto has some jitter reduction.

GHM

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2008, 03:10 pm »
I decided to try out the Bel Canto DAC 3 first. It's been a tough decision! It should arrive tomorrow.I'm eager to try it out with the USB-AUDIO driver. If it doesn't work out for me. You'll know because it will be up for sale in a few days. Then on to the transporter or something similar. aa

GHM

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jan 2008, 05:23 pm »
Finally got the Bel Canto DAC 3. Burning it in as I type. All I can say is WOW!! This is a fantastic unit. I could hear the sound change as the DAC warmed up. Now if my XLR adapters arrive I'll get to experiment a bit. As of now..I'm very impressed what this unit does. I'm running it direct into my KR Audio Antares with fantastic results. I've found the USB-AUDIO driver from www.usb-audio.com works well with this DAC.

I was listening to some Ben Harper this morning ...I realized in one recording there is a second person singing along behind him. This unit has world class resolution! :o

Big Red Machine

Stercom

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2008, 07:46 pm »
Congrats and enjoy the music!

spwal

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jan 2008, 07:12 pm »
yay! great choice.  the world's elite d/a converter and an instant legend like its predecessors the dac2 and dac1.  Having initmately a/bed the dac3 and the dac2 i can say that, despite the reiviews to the contrary, the dac3 is in another league all together.  my friend and I both described the Dac2 as "unlistenable" after our detailed testing.  thats saying alot lol, because ive owned 3 dac2s through the years and have loved all of them.  they hold their value like a rock for good reason! 

great job mr moody!

kck

« Reply #35 on: 15 Mar 2008, 07:54 pm »
Would be interested in what users think of the DAC3's preamp capabilities. I know, digital only, but SB is my only source really.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar 2008, 10:36 pm »
I have the 3 and will be having Rick Cullen attempt a mod to it soon.  However, I sent it to him to look at and he was very impressed with the stock circuit and basically said his own idea of developing the full back end output stage would be all this would need.  Also, recent Stereophile rated it "A". 

I use the SB3 and a CDP through it and really like it stock.  Can't wait for Rick to work his magic on the little it makes sense to.