Does film "read" across the web?

nathanm

Does film "read" across the web?
« on: 29 Dec 2007, 06:02 am »
I finally got my first box of Velvia 4x5s back from the lab.  Unfortunately all but six of the seventeen sheets were unexposed.  Whether a film holder failure or P.E.B.P.A.C. (Problem Exists Between Photographer And Camera) I'm certainly not buying any more Quickloads thanks very much.  Sheesh!  What a bummer.  Clichéd sunrises, railroad tracks, highway overpasses and duplicates of BW shots all lost forever!  :cry: 

But some survived, so let me ask ya'll; does this shot being film translate any better or worse on screen? To me B&W film can be "felt" even through the monitor, but I am not so sure if color is distinguishable from digital or not.  It's so weird because I haven't exposed a piece of color film since college, and of course never a whopping great 4x5 tranny.  Even scanning chromes at work has fallen off quite a bit, so it's a treat to see a great big color scan come up on the monitor.

SunnyDay

Re: Does film "read" across the web?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2007, 11:07 pm »
Yes, it does have more details, and the color is more saturated. I like it very much. Thanks for posting your work.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 11:54 am »
Looks great from this end Nathan.  :thumb:  Please keep up the good work.

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:45 am »
I'm tempted to say that something about the grass makes me think it's film, but in all honesty I've never been able to tell with other people's pictures. I do know that the (non-people) images I'm choosing to print and frame for myself are almost all from film. That may simply be because I take more care with them, since each frame costs so much more (both $ and time).

But yeah, big trannies are great! I was wowed when I did some 6x9s a year or so ago, 4x5 must be amazing.