JB's Audio Note Custom M3 Deluxe+ preamp

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
JB's Audio Note Custom M3 Deluxe+ preamp
« on: 20 Dec 2007, 10:26 pm »
Here we show a full Audio Note Custom M3 Deluxe preamp using a transformer coupled output stage that was just recently finished for a customer. This unit utilizes the Audio Note Double C-Core output transformers, full Mondorf/V-Cap power supply, V-Cap coupling capacitors, Cryogenic Silver IEC inlet and fuse holder. Wiring is Audio Note Silver. You will notice the three knobs on the right. The upper center knob is a DACT stereo attenuator (master volume) while the lower knobs are DACT 10K fine adjust attenuators installed to adjust channel balance.
The preamp is running balanced output and was custom built to drive the highly modified Quicksilver V-4 mono blocs (that were also just recently finished) shown in the lower picture. These pictures were taken during system testing of the preamp and amplifiers.

jgb0194

Re: JB's Audio Note Custom M3 Deluxe+ preamp
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2008, 04:41 pm »
Received the preamp yesterday. Build quality is the best I've seen.

I was going to allow 100+ run in hours before posting my impressions, but I was stunned at first listen. Folks, words fail to convey what Bill's custom L3 does for my system. It makes the system. I cannot believe another preamp currently available at any price betters this one in any meaningful way. I've never said that about any other component in my very nice system (Ensemble Dirondo CDT w/Audiocom Clock 4 and otro Empirical Audio mods > Audio Note DAC 4.1x Signature > AN/Bella Extreme custom L3 > Atma-Sphere MA-1 monoblocks > Selah Audio "AOD" line arrays).

Thank you, Bill!

p.s. The preamp is absolutely quiet. The "triple DACTs" are exactly the ticket for fine tuning channel balance.

jb

jgb0194

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:47 pm »
Figured I should list the passive volume controls and preamps I've used in the past ten years for a bit of perspective:

Preamps:

Atma-Sphere MP-3, Blue Circle BC-3000 GZPZ, Ming Da MC-7 w/Response Audio Reference mods, Musical Design SP-2B and prototype SP-3

Passives:

Factory built DIY HiFi Supply Django w/S&B iron and all silver wiring, Rick Schultz EVS Ultimate attenuators, Scott Endler stepped resistor attenuators

jb

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:09 pm »
thanks for the update, I know it's difficult to put into words but
(you've had some nice gear & your system appears to be well thought out)
....what were you missing before.

have you ever heard the M2....that's the only one I've heard stock.
It was in an AN system...AMP2  (300B)& PP KT88, DAC, AN-E.

It compared well to a cj system...but at the time I heard a Shindo
system which seemed to get tone (solo cello & solo Brass) a tad better.
The usual images & soundstage were comparable.  Also when playing ensembles
where both Cello & Viola de gamba (spanish recordings)...string tone as well
as instruement's signature timbre was a bit more decernable.  I brought over
a pair of AV-2 bella style speakers as well as my AT-211...same things emereged.

In very broad terms the cj & M2 were damnd good just a bit more lush or warm.
The Shindo shined in  upper midrange as well as lower treble.  Lower midrange & upper
bass were very similar.  Clasical Horn concertos spotlighted the slight differeces moreso
than large orchestral or 'busy' recordings.

Bill what are your impressions of the M2 & M3?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:21 pm »
Bill what are your impressions of the M2 & M3?

Hello Carl,
  I have been running a customized version of our 'Audio Note Custom M2', now known as the L2 (not AN finished product) for quite some time now and been extremely happy with it. After spending time listening to the last few M3's (know known as L3) that have gone out the door, I have decided this was the preamp I wanted in our reference systems. This is the reason I have my L2 Custom up for sale.

As good as the M2 has been and still is, the L3 brings forth more in terms of resolution and transparency due to the transformer coupled output. Most of the L3 preamps going out the door have used the upgraded Double C-Core transformers and DACT attenuators but even the ones with the IE core units and Noble volume pots were very impressive.

I have not heard an Audio Note production M3 in some time so I would not be able to comment on the differences.

JB: Thank you for posting your initial impressions. This is greatly appreciated.

jgb0194

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:24 pm »
Hi Carl,

Two things stand out with the L3 in place:

- Instruments and vocals even at very low levels in a mix are now extraordinarily distinct. This is not an unnatural "etching", as these sounds are imbued with real depth. I've read an Audio Note technical essay asserting that this is the true strength of transformer-coupled output. I now believe this to be true. Just how well this trait "completes" the overall soundscape is hard to describe.

- Instrumental timbral signature was immediately and noticeably more realistic. Last night I actually smiled at Yusef Lateef's tenor sax intro on "Semiocto" from "Psychicemotus". That's how a tenor sounds in a club! The intermingling of both breaths and the accompanying bamboo flute notes on "Bamboo Flute Blues" from the same recording were uncannily emotive (pun intended).

jb

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  As I've always felt...often times it's the Pre-amp
which can be the most crucial for final 'voicing' of a system. YMMV etc.,

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:13 am »
Thanks for the replies.  As I've always felt...often times it's the Pre-amp
which can be the most crucial for final 'voicing' of a system. YMMV etc.,

I agree Carl. Obviously the whole system needs to work in harmony. After spending time with JB's M3 Deluxe during testing and burn-in, I decided this was exactly how I would build my unit for the showroom. I also went with the upgraded Double C-Core output transformers, DACT attenuators (I went dual mono), full Mundorf/V-Cap power supply and Bybee purifiers at the signal input. The only difference is I went with a full array of Audio Note Tantalum resistors on the analog board.

I built and voiced this unit to mate with my Mundorf Silver/Oil/V-Cap Bella EXtreme 100 amplifiers so I too will be going full balanced between preamp and amp.

Now my weakest link is my digital playback. I have to find the time to finish my Audio Note Custom DAC 2.1X Deluxe to finish off the system. :scratch:

jgb0194

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:03 am »
A head's up to all:

On Friday I should receive my custom M3 which has been further upgraded by Bill in a manner similar to his own two box Perfetto linestage.

From the photos Bill has sent me, his work on this is remarkable.

I'll share my impressions with all once I've re-installed this gem into my system.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:53 am »
To follow up on what jgb will be receiving, his Audio Note Custom M3 preamp was sent back in to receive a complete makeover and upgrade. Originally custom built with C-Core output transformers, gold bybees and a DACT attenuator with additional mono fine adjust DACT attenuators.

It was sent back for an upgrade to a full dual mono, external power supply. Two IEC units, fuse holders, umbilical cords and power switches were used. The umbilical cords are hardwired into the analog chassis with high quality military connectors used at the power supply chassis.

The analog chassis now utilises two sets of balanced outputs, two sets of balanced inputs and a dual mono choke decoupling circuit along with  Ultra Wide Bandwidth Super Regulators

Here is a picture of the unit up and running in one of our test systems prior to shipping out. The power supply chassis is seen just below the main analog chassis.