We have a Winner>>FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF THE NEW MINIS (MAJOR MAXIS!!)

bbchem

:lol: Ok, it’s only been a few hours and I need to express the first listening session with the BIG MINIS.

Note: after 33 pairs my wife who loves music stated that she can hear the difference in the definition of the the Minis. a word she has never uttered before about any of the other speakers. She always says the sound the same. These she danced around and said she really liked!I was intrigued by the fact that they could take a large amount of power so I kicked in my old carver 1.5 T amp which contains some meters to see what output the speakers are taking. I have clipped these amps into distortion a few times and blew my house breakers. They supposedly put out 1000 wpc in transients but who know if that’s true. All I know is that I pushed the meters to one under the top and those Minis did not break a sweat!!! This is truly amazing and not recommended to try at home. I was ready to cut them back before they clipped but they did not and the speakers should know sign of flapping. Almost any other speaker would bend and fold this kind of power barrage. Ok, what sound came out?? Remember this is right out of the box!!! I played some tracks that I downloaded for ITRAX at 96 khz/24bit PCM which is the best quality you can get. I tried John Gorkas Gypsy life which has great vocals and guitar. The sound of the guitar was more lively, vibrant and dynamic then any of the 32 other speakers I have ever owned. I want to point out that I currently play the Drums, Organ, Piano, and Guitar.  The strumming was surrounded by a virtual movement of air in the room that you could feel Outstanding to say the least. This right out of the box. My wife and were grooving for several hours to some Samplers from Maple shade which I think are the best recordings. Without going into what speakers I have and have had, the Minis are better out of the box then anything that I have ever heard in my house or at the shows. I don’t know what other reviewers of the minis have had, but if its better it’s got to cost upwards of $10,000 dollars, Please keep in mind that I have had the highest rated speakers on earth that I am comparing these to. Maybe mine are a fluke and Bob through in some magic beans, but these are the highest toe tapping, natural listening I have ever heard at ay price. This is my first review and I will continue with this after a few more days of break-in. By the way the Wife said that looked real nice as well. By the way upteen people and friends rely on me for their Audio recommendations as my ears are usually dead on    :thumb: :thumb:

Stay tuned for round two, also see posting coming on Audiogon>>

Hats off to Bob!!!

ooheadsoo

Very nice!  Pics, please, we want to see the room that can create this reaction.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
So....they sound OK then....good. 8)

Yes.....show us your photo's please...thanks !! :beer:

Oh.....and Bill....don't forget your promise....... :jester:
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 06:45 am by lonewolfny42 »

bhobba

Please keep in mind that I have had the highest rated speakers on earth that I am comparing these to.

Maybe we now have a new 'highest rated'.  Jim Merod seems to think so: 'When I listen to my Timepiece 2.1 speakers, I am the sound of one hand laughing because, these speakers are among the best I've ever heard at any price.'

Great to hear how good you found them. Bob is onto a real winner - a legend in the making like the old Gale 402's.

Thanks
Bill

jfreeman373

It must have been that half hour of break in we did at the shop. :wink: Glad you like them!

bbchem

:roll: OK, I am embarrassed, how do you add a picture? I tried every way I normally do it?

Thanks, Bill   :roll:

P.S. >> Although Bob felt that using a Tube Amp may not be as good as a SS, I hooked them up to my favorite tube Amp , the TAD-60 biased in Class A/ AB which provides 60 solid tube watts. I have been able to drive even the toughest load with these. The Clarity, Dynamics, Slam, Definition etc were startling. I am freaking out to actually hear something this good after hearing so many speakers that I believed to be the best. I guess technology has improved to the point that one day everything will be the best? What I mean its hard to believe that anything could better my current favorites. If these can possibly get better that would be crazy(?) I will continue my posts as promised LW.  :lol:

Zero

BBChem,

If you don't mind, could you give us a slight insight into the previous transducers you've had in your home?

mcullinan

wow! Bob is a madman and has done it again...

Chris when are your minis due to arrive? I cant wait!
Mike

bbchem

:lol: Ok, as per the request hear is a partial list that I can remember. They are not in any particular order.

1. ZU DRUIDS
2. MARK AND DANIELS RUBYS
3. MAGNEPAN 1.6
4. TOTEM HAWK
5. JMLAB ELECTRA 906
6. USHER X-719
7. HORN SHOPPE HORN
8. OMEGA SUPER 3 ALNICO
9. OMEGA HEMP SUPER 3
10. POLK 5JR
11. DBX SOUNDFIELD 10S ?)
12. REFERENCE 3A DECAPO
13. REFERENCE 3A ROYAL MASTER
14. TOTEM RAINMAKER
15. MERLIN TSM-M
16. JMLAB CHORUS
17. MARTIN LOGAN CLS
18. MARTIN LOGAN CLS NEWER
19. TRIANGLE TITUS
20. GALLO MINIS
21. B&W MATRIX 805
22. PROAC TABLETTES
23. TOTEM MODEL ONE
24. MAGNEPAN MMG
25. SEVERAL OTHER MINOR ONES

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Bill.

Thank you very much my friend - ENJOY!!! :thumb:

Guys,

As you know, I'm busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest... but I just had to make this comment:

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

-Bob  8)

PS.  As a result of the anticipated response, you might want to place your order sooner rather than later if you want to get them sometime in 2008 :o

Double Ugly

Note: after 33 pairs my wife who loves music stated that she can hear the difference in the definition of the the Minis. a word she has never uttered before about any of the other speakers. She always says the sound the same. These she danced around and said she really liked!

All I know is that I pushed the meters to one under the top and those Minis did not break a sweat!!! This is truly amazing and not recommended to try at home. I was ready to cut them back before they clipped but they did not and the speakers should know sign of flapping. Almost any other speaker would bend and fold this kind of power barrage.

Without going into what speakers I have and have had, the Minis are better out of the box then anything that I have ever heard in my house or at the shows. I don’t know what other reviewers of the minis have had, but if its better it’s got to cost upwards of $10,000 dollars,

Maybe mine are a fluke and Bob through in some magic beans, but these are the highest toe tapping, natural listening I have ever heard at ay price.

The Clarity, Dynamics, Slam, Definition etc were startling. I am freaking out to actually hear something this good after hearing so many speakers that I believed to be the best.

:D

As was the case when folks commented on the Revelations after our Denver get-together, it sure is nice to read these comments instead of having to write them myself!  :lol:

Congratulations, Bill, and to all you new SP Tech owners.  I doubt everyone is going to like them as much as I and those who've already commented on their Minis; different ears, different likes/dislikes, etc. make that a statistical improbability of tremendous odds.  Nevertheless, I think Bob may need to find a way to increase production pronto.  :wink:

Zero

BBChem - Thanks, and enjoy.   :thumb:     Hopefully, Bob will manage out a pair to my abode someday soon.  I've heard / been through a lot of the same gear.  Totem has been the only one to perk my ears for any extended period of time - the under-rated Sttaf in particular.  I can't wait to try something vastly different on for size. I'm ready.  :drool:

bbchem

:lol: Zero, its interesting although I don't want to talk about other speakers on this circle, but one of my  top favorites were the Totem Hawks.  :P  I find this hobby fascinating its like Can You Top This, an old show to show my age. But currently the Minis are pushing all the right buttons that is hard to describe when in the past you felt that way about other speakers. I guess the minis so far portray the music as you would expect if you went to a live event and heard voice and instruments  as they really sound. To me the greatest achievement of a Loudspeaker is being able to project a live image while retaining a musical quality. So far, these do all that.

Regards, Bill    :thumb:

lonewolfny42

:lol: Ok, as per the request hear is a partial list that I can remember. They are not in any particular order.

1. ZU DRUIDS
2. MARK AND DANIELS RUBYS
3. MAGNEPAN 1.6
4. TOTEM HAWK
5. JMLAB ELECTRA 906
6. USHER X-719
7. HORN SHOPPE HORN
8. OMEGA SUPER 3 ALNICO
9. OMEGA HEMP SUPER 3
10. POLK 5JR
11. DBX SOUNDFIELD 10S ?)
12. REFERENCE 3A DECAPO
13. REFERENCE 3A ROYAL MASTER
14. TOTEM RAINMAKER
15. MERLIN TSM-M
16. JMLAB CHORUS
17. MARTIN LOGAN CLS
18. MARTIN LOGAN CLS NEWER
19. TRIANGLE TITUS
20. GALLO MINIS
21. B&W MATRIX 805
22. PROAC TABLETTES
23. TOTEM MODEL ONE
24. MAGNEPAN MMG
25. SEVERAL OTHER MINOR ONES

Yeah.....Thats a big list Bill....with some very good speakers. :o
Thanks for posting.... :thumb:

Mike.....
Chris when are your minis due to arrive? I cant wait!
:scratch:....I don't know...I don't call....I don't email....when they get here is fine.... 8)

Jim/DU.....
As was the case when folks commented on the Revelations after our Denver get-together, it sure is nice to read these comments instead of having to write them myself! :lol:
I agree.....the more ears that hear....the more comments come from others... :wink:

Chris

PS......Bill:
OK, I am embarrassed, how do you add a picture? I tried every way I normally do it?

Read this......if you still have a problem....let us know.... :thumb:

lonewolfny42

.............Nice !!!! :beer:

(Bill....your other photo was too dark .... :?)

Wind Chaser

By the way upteen people and friends rely on me for their Audio recommendations as my ears are usually dead on    :thumb: :thumb:

Well that's a relief.  Perhaps we can finally put to bed "The World's Number One Audiophile" issue... :lol:

You wouldn't happen to have a PERFECTLY tuned room with the BEST most INCREDIBLE PERFECT amp, would you? :o

mcullinan

peeerty!
M

bbchem

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=12708
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=12709

Here are two better ones, with Radio Shack SuperTweeters added for fun

P.S. Wind Chaser my comment was one of sincerity due to the fact I play music and listen to music. It was not meant to be a Snobbish remark

Regards, Bill

lonewolfny42

Bill.....

Why the Radio Shack Super Tweeters ? :scratch:

Thanks......... :thumb: