'Off the Map'...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
'Off the Map'...
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 09:58 pm »
...is a quirky little film starring Joan Allen, one of our BEST actors*, Sam Elliott, Valentina deAngelis, and Jim True-Frost.  It's a story about people and their problems and triumphs. This family--which lives MUCH closer to the earth, northern New Mexico, than do most of us--are visited by an IRS agent who falls in love with the place and the lifestyle and moves into an old shoolbus behind the house.  I called it 'quirky' but it's not weird for weirdness's sake. 

HIGHLY recommended for those who appreciate relatively quiet stories about PEOPLE.

* See the 2nd and 3rd Bourne movies and 'The Upside of Anger'.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 05:38 pm by jeffreybehr »

bikes and beats

Re: 'Off the Map'...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2007, 11:50 pm »
Right On!
There is a magic to New Mexico, this Campbell Scott movie captures it.
Sam Elliott rocks in this one, too.

birdwizard

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:59 am »
One of my favorite recent movies. Sam Elliot's unexplained nonstop crying; and drinking water all of the time to stay hydrated is classic!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2008, 02:34 am »
Saw this and like it, too.  Let's see if anyone shares my fancy for a off the wall black comedy called Montana (altho it's not all that much about Montana).  It stars Kyra Sedgewick, Stanley Tucci, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Ritter, and a dandy lil performance by Robin Tunney.  Oh, it has plot twists and treachery galore.  Very good writing for story and script.  Don't see how you could not like this.