Timepiece 2.1 or 3.0 Proper height

RodMCV

Re: Timepiece 2.1 or 3.0 Proper height
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:02 am »
Does anyone have a feel for the proper stand/tweeter height for these speakers?
Have you ever inverted for woofer on top and tweeter lower?
Hey Rod....

Speaker stands....24".....best of the bunch...Osiris......but you'll need to find them used....if you can.

A good replacement....Dayton SSHM-24 24" High Mass Metal Speaker Stand Pair...at Parts Express...

I've never inverted the speaker....their heavy enough without flipping them upside down... :lol:

Just remember....get a strong stand....their not lightweights.... :weights:

Chris
Thanks Chris,

I've tried like crazy to get a set of Osiris but keep missing out.

Bob said he likes to get the speakers higher to bring the bass up to the golden ratio of a common
 room height to decrease room modes in the bass sound..

So I thought maybe invert like the Focus monitors and tweeter at ear and base up higher.

Rod

ooheadsoo

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:31 am »
I built a pair of stubbys and would recommend against it.  It's just not all that impressive or sturdy.

Thanks for the tip.  It looks like a pair of steel one 24in high is the go.  Will need to search the internet for what is available here in Aus.  If any one knows of a good one let me know.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

thinking about it again, I guess making the stands work well could be done.  First, obviously I wouldn't follow their dimensions.  The top and bottom plates should both be larger.  They need to be planed, ideally.  Then, don't forget about spikes on the bottom of the stands, because even if the bottom platform is planed, there's no guarantee your floor is flat or worse, if you have carpet.  Then, I would use the largest diameter pipe I could get, or failing that, multiple pipes.  Fill them all with steel or lead shot, whichever you are more comfortable with.  In that case, if the gasket work is solid, I think it would be an excellent stand.  If the pipe is large in diameter, it may be difficult to cut the pipe at 90 degrees perfectly.  It was an issue with mine.  It would probably end up similar to the skylan stands here: http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm 

Rod, how high did Bob suggest?  When I read your comment, the first thing I thought of was also to invert the speaker, which may or may not be possible with new TPs that can be converted to Revelation-minis (if all works out well.)

bhobba

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2007, 08:22 am »
Hi Ooheadsoo and All

Then, don't forget about spikes on the bottom of the stands, because even if the bottom platform is planed, there's no guarantee your floor is flat or worse, if you have carpet. 

Spikes are out - I have a tiled floor that my sister would kill me if I used spikes on.  The following are the best I could come up with at a reasonable price:
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod3.htm

At 400mm, 2/3 the height of what Bob recommends, but I generally listen in bed anyway due to my arthritis.

How do you couple them without spikes?

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2007, 08:46 am »
How do you couple them without spikes?
Keep the spikes on....then use floor savers discs under them....

An example here........ :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2007, 08:59 am »

Looks perfect Chris.  Did a quick internet search that returned zilch.  Anyone know where you can get them in Aus?

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2007, 09:04 am »

Looks perfect Chris.  Did a quick internet search that returned zilch.  Anyone know where you can get them in Aus?

Thanks
Bill
You could even use some kind of washer type disc....be creative... :wink:

RodMCV

« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:54 pm »
Any opinion on the sound of a steel speaker stand
vs the skylan "non-resonant" stand?

Thanks