Birthday Present - New Nirvanna Power Supply

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Birthday Present - New Nirvanna Power Supply
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:33 pm »
Well as Wayne said - my wife spoils me.  For my birthday, she got with Wayne and managed to snag me one of his new Nirvanna power supplies for my Statement mod SB3  aa  Many thanks to Wayne for getting this out so quickly.  I have it hooked up and buring in now.  Initial impressions are very favorable. 

I'll post more once the caps get broken in a bit more.

Bryan

TomS

Re: Birthday Present - New Nirvanna Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:41 pm »
Must be nice  aa

Mine is on the way too.  Can I have Wayne send her the bill for MY birthday ;-)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:53 pm »
Well as Wayne said - my wife spoils me.  For my birthday, she got with Wayne and managed to snag me one of his new Nirvanna power supplies for my Statement mod SB3  aa  Many thanks to Wayne for getting this out so quickly.  I have it hooked up and buring in now.  Initial impressions are very favorable. 

I'll post more once the caps get broken in a bit more.

Bryan

Bryan,

From what little I heard of the Nirvana (only listened about an hour or so), it is better cold, out of the box, than the already excellent Mk IV power supply.

I just need to find some time this week to get some more listening in before I post my initial comments.

George

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2007, 03:43 pm »
And mine will be on it's way to Wayne next week for the upgrade, but I'll have to wait until we get back from holiday travel to get to use it.

-- Jim

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:24 pm »
Bummer Jim.  That's always tough...

Thanks for the other comments guys.  I don't think she'll want to foot that bill again though  :nono:  I'm going to be taking it to the GAS Christmas Bash this weekend for a few others to hear.  I should have about 100 hours on it by the time the party rolls around.

Bryan

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:47 pm »
Happy Birthday, Bryan

:birthday:

Your wife is a saint!

She does spoil you and is wonderful to work with.

I hope you enjoy the PS and Summit DC cable. With all the new Jensen and BlackGate caps, along with the point to point, solid silver wiring, silver AC connectors and even a sliver plated ceramic fuse  :lol: Your new PS will take about that 100 hours to settle down. It will be about 250-400 hours before everything is done with the changes, but your buddies should be able to hear most of what the Ultimate Nirvana PS can do.

I haven't heard for certain if Scott has sent the Ultimate MKIV back for upgrades, yet. If not, you will be able to do a direct comparison and hear exactly what Hugh's circuit does for the SB. I just sent Scott a couple of AC power cables/conditioners to try. I think you might enjoy what happens when you use them on the Ultimate Nirvana and modded Burson Buffer.

George, I am really glad you finally got the chance to listen to the demo Ultimate Nirvana. Your PS has not yet made it back here, yet. I will keep you updated on when it arrives.

Tom, Yours should go out today. It is sounding pretty sweet with the four Bybee Purifiers along with the Ultimate Nirvana updates.

Jim, Enjoy your holiday travels. I will be taking care of your PS and putting some time on it for you  :wink:

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2007, 08:58 pm »
Hiya Wayne,

I probably won't get a chance to send the Mk IV back before the party but that does give us a chance to A/B the two of them which should be fun. I'm really curious to hear it.

Nothing exceeds like excess  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2007, 09:01 pm »
Happy Birthday, Bryan

:birthday:

Your wife is a saint!

She does spoil you and is wonderful to work with.

I hope you enjoy the PS and Summit DC cable. With all the new Jensen and BlackGate caps, along with the point to point, solid silver wiring, silver AC connectors and even a sliver plated ceramic fuse  :lol: Your new PS will take about that 100 hours to settle down. It will be about 250-400 hours before everything is done with the changes, but your buddies should be able to hear most of what the Ultimate Nirvana PS can do.

She has to be - she's stayed married to me for 28 years  :o

Bryan

yo2tup

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2007, 10:34 pm »
I've had my Ultimate MKII upgraded to Nirvana and have had it for about a week now.  Everything just sounds so much more REAL and present now.   Imaging and soundstage depth also improved substantially.

Fresh out of the box I thought the midrange/lower midrange was a little cold compared to before....but after 24 hours, it seems to be back now and sounds wonderful.   Wayne, do you know how long the nirvana regulator takes to fully burnin?

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2007, 12:09 am »
Hello Kevin,
Wayne, do you know how long the nirvana regulator takes to fully burnin?

Umm, I'm not really sure. I haven't been able to keep one around here long enough to know for certain.

I would guess that the BlackGate output cap on the Nirvana board is what is the main culprit as far as sound changes. That should settle down after about 250-400 hours.

Thanks for letting us know you like the changes, so far.

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2007, 08:46 pm »
Yes, Wayne,

I'd agree, the BG takes a long time, around 200-300 hours, but it also needs to be played often otherwise the cycle begins again.

Those BG NX caps are a PITA for burn-in, but there ain't nuthin' better.....  that's the problem.   :scratch:

Hugh