Way to go AL!

tubesforever

Way to go AL!
« on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:19 pm »
My reference preamp right now is a purely passive preamp.  So everything I do on my Clarinet simply has to be as clear and clean or I would eventually grow tired of the trade offs.

My Clarinet is now configured with a 0.10 uf T-3 Russian Teflon in the incoming signal line and another piggy backed on my Dynamicap 1.0 uf final signal cap.  This cap helps reduce woofer pumping so I like it.  I deleted the balance switch on mine, so I ended up needing a 24.7 k and 10.0 k series load to get the Teflons to settle in like the PIO's.  They have a speed and  overall clarity in the midrange that is stunning.

Interestingly, the DynamiCaps are nearly the sonic equivalents to my PIO caps in the area of sound stage space and depth.  I like the slightly tighter bass and clearer highs. 

The DynamiCaps and the PIO caps were less clear when it came to clarity in the midrange and dynamic range.  I have some torture test music to see how the electronics will pass a signal.  I am using Aaron Copeland's Fanfare For A Common Man recorded by Telark featuring Lane conducting the Atlanta Symphony.  The opening has a real gong and tympany strikes with mallets.  The sound goes from dead silence to 86 DB instantaneously. 

The Teflon T-3s track this signal perfectly with no degradation of the signal or the transients of the instruments.  This was an eye openner and I did not expect to hear this level of dynamic capability from caps that ran me only 4 bucks each.

Let me know how everything breaks in.  My Clarinet now has the same qualities of the passive preamp but with a great deal more dynamics and the bass slam is better than anything I could have anticipated. 

I am waiting on some more S102 nude Vishays for the Cornet2.  It is already reconfigured with Dynamicaps, Mills wire wounds, and a T-3 on the final coupling cap. 

I think I should try the 0.01 uf PIO's as bypass caps on the B+.  The 0.10 are too large and I took them out for the time being.  I will look for some 0.01 uf K40Y9 caps.  These seem to be very reasonably priced.

Al you have been very inspiring.  Thanks for sharing your success with us here at the Hagerman site.  It is very helpful to be part of such an outstanding group.  I bought a GZ-30 based on your recommendation and I am awaiting its arrival. 

Al I meant to post this as a reply to your post below.  I am at work and something must have timed out....

Happy Holidays.