Emerald Physics CS2 with modified DCX crossover

doak

Re: Emerald Physics CS2 with modified DCX crossover
« Reply #40 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:19 am »
I understand they were demo'd at RMAF  with a stock Behringer, and apparently were good enough to attract a lot of attention and even sell a relatively large number.

Does anyone know which Bel Cantos were used? I understand Clayton used 6 1000W (500 into 8 ohms) unhoused ICE modules in his first showing of the CS1.

Jeez, I hope the 400w (4 x 100w) of tweaked ICE power I'll be using on the CS2 will suffice.

Doak

TomS

« Reply #41 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:24 am »
I can't recall for sure, but Clayton had the smaller Bel Canto stereo amps (300's?).  His turnkey package has a 2x200 SLA-2 on the bass and 2x100 SLA-1 on the highs.  The top section is 100db efficient so you should have no problems on power.  I'm driving my top end with 40wpc Bella Extreme 3205 tube amp with no sweat.

Tom

richidoo

« Reply #42 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:28 am »

I think they were vertical biamping with two of these?
Rich

TomS

« Reply #43 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:31 am »
I think that's it S300 150wpc

GregC

« Reply #44 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:34 am »
I am fairly certain that Clayton used two stock Bel Canto S-300's at the show with a Modwright LS 36.5, and the speakers sounded superb (even with the stock DCX).  It was good enough to prompt me to sell my speakers so I could buy a pair.  

I will be using two M-100 amps from Ric at EVS for the mids and highs, and my Bel Canto Level 2 Ref 1000's for the bass.  My CS2's should be shipped this week and I am anxious.  :D

mgalusha

« Reply #45 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:43 am »
I am praying this beats the Vandersteen 2Ce Sig setup I had previously.

I can say that what I heard last weekend is considerably better than my Vandy 2Ci's, which I still have so this isn't a far distant memory. It was also better, IMO, than my Vandy 3A sigs and 2 subs. Yes, I could get more bass out of the two Vandy subs but the 3A's couldn't hold a candle to the CS2's in terms of dynamics. They both can produce excellent imaging and a huge sound stage when properly set up.

doak

« Reply #46 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:00 am »

I can say that what I heard last weekend is considerably better than my Vandy 2Ci's, which I still have so this isn't a far distant memory. It was also better, IMO, than my Vandy 3A sigs and 2 subs. Yes, I could get more bass out of the two Vandy subs but the 3A's couldn't hold a candle to the CS2's in terms of dynamics. They both can produce excellent imaging and a huge sound stage when properly set up.

Well, I do have 2 SVS subs that I'm holding onto for the time being.  I want to see if they'll fit into the CS2 based system at some point.
I know Clayton/Emerald have a separate bass panel available and the DCX unit has channels to accomodate them.  I thought that I'd eventually try to integrate the SVS subs into the system and possibly relieve the main drivers of producing some of the very low bass frequencies - seems that 20-1kHz is pretty extreme for any driver.  My thinking is that other things may get better if they aren't worked quite so hard.   This sure worked with my ML CLS stats. 

Duke, Ya out there buddy?

Doak

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:09 am »

Well, I do have 2 SVS subs that I'm holding onto for the time being.  I want to see if they'll fit into the CS2 based system at some point.
I know Clayton/Emerald have a separate bass panel available and the DCX unit has channels to accomodate them.  I thought that I'd eventually try to integrate the SVS subs into the system and possibly relieve the main drivers of producing some of the very low bass frequencies - seems that 20-1kHz is pretty extreme for any driver.  My thinking is that other things may get better if they aren't worked quite so hard.   This sure worked with my ML CLS stats. 

Doak

Unless your room is particularly difficult you might want to spend some time with them before bringing out the subs.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  I have an SVS CS-Ultra and a pair of ACI Titans available and haven't even considered it.  As someone who appreciates a little pipe organ music now and then, I assumed I'd need the extra panels to improve impact, not extension.  Now I'm not so sure they're necessary.

doak

« Reply #48 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:15 am »

[/quote]Unless your room is particularly difficult you might want to spend some time with them before bringing out the subs.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  I have an SVS CS-Ultra and a pair of ACI Titans available and haven't even considered it.  As someone who appreciates a little pipe organ music now and then, I assumed I'd need the extra panels to improve impact, not extension.  Now I'm not so sure they're necessary.
[/quote]

That's my intention too Tom,,, don't want to try to do too much too fast/soon.

Thanks,
Doak

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 13 Dec 2007, 05:40 am »
I understand they were demo'd at RMAF  with a stock Behringer, and apparently were good enough to attract a lot of attention and even sell a relatively large number.

Does anyone know which Bel Cantos were used? I understand Clayton used 6 1000W (500 into 8 ohms) unhoused ICE modules in his first showing of the CS1.

He used the entry level stereo amps at this year's show.

And yes, the speakers were that good in stock form at RMAF to attract a lot of attention!

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 13 Dec 2007, 05:42 am »

Doak

I don't think you are going to want or need the SVS subs.

George

doak

« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec 2007, 05:45 am »

I don't think you are going to want or need the SVS subs.

George
[/quote]

My listening space is rather large ,,, that's why I'm taking a "wait and see" stance.

Hope you're right!
Doak
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 06:06 am by doak »

brj

« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2007, 06:27 am »
Ric, please move your posts discussing your intended mods and pricing to a separate thread in the Industry Ads or Industry Talk circles where they won't distract from the review of this particular DCX mod.  I would also appreciate a response to my PM sent Tuesday afternoon.

Thank you!

Ric Schultz

« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2007, 09:03 am »
Done, edited and removed a bunch.  I will add info on my Industry ads thread.