Kepler Update

Trafford

Kepler Update
« on: 7 Dec 2007, 02:48 am »
Is there any update on when the Kepler kit will be available?

Can you tell me how it sounds by comparing it to something already out. Is it like the Ascend Sierra, for example? Or the Usher V-601 or the Be-718? Or the North Creek Kitty Kat? Or the Taylo Reference Monitor?

I'm very interested in a monitor that is clean and has a solid bottom end that doesn't bump into the $1000/pair barrier.

Thanks

Kevin Haskins

Re: Kepler Update
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2007, 02:55 am »
They are ready.   I'm working on the web development right now.

In terms of how they sound, I'm kind of unbiased.   :icon_lol:

I don't have any of the loudspeakers you have listed.   I'm sending a set off for a review @ Soundstage but it will probably take several months before anything is published.    I'm not sure if that is going to be of any help to you now.

« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2007, 03:52 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Trafford

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2007, 01:00 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am really, really interested in this product although I have never done DIY.

I am pretty comfortable with the woofer in this speaker since mnuch has been said about it. I have not heard much about the tweeter and wondered if you could provide some details or direct me to where I can find them.

I have been pretty lucky so far buying internet direct speakers "sound unheard" but adding DIY to the mix makes me a little more nervous. Is there some speaker you would compare to the Kepler?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am really, really interested in this product although I have never done DIY.

I am pretty comfortable with the woofer in this speaker since mnuch has been said about it. I have not heard much about the tweeter and wondered if you could provide some details or direct me to where I can find them.

I have been pretty lucky so far buying internet direct speakers "sound unheard" but adding DIY to the mix makes me a little more nervous. Is there some speaker you would compare to the Kepler?

The Tweeter is the Peerless HDS.   Its a popular unit these days and for a good reason.

What is just as important, if not more, is the crossover design.   I can take pretty medicore drivers and make them sound pretty good.    You cannot have a medicore crossover and have good sound.    I feel pretty good about the design.   

The only real comparisons I have are the other loudspeakers I have designed.   One of the things you learn from design is that it takes a LONG time to really get to know a loudspeaker.    I don't say much about other people's designs because to be honest, I don't listen to them.   I hear them at shows and audio events but I never get to listen to them enough to really form a solid opinion.   I don't own anything I've not designed and built (OK... I own a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos, they sound like ass).   

I'm not sure if I'm being much help to you.   If you wait a couple months there should be more feedback as the early adopters will give some feedback & hopefully Colin will make speedy work of the review.    They are getting measured in the NRC anechoic chamber which is more exciting to me than the subjective review.   I like the good hard data.    Its funny, before I designed gear I ignored the data and just paid attention to the subjective review.   Now I'm just the opposite.    :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:22 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out what ass sounds like....  :scratch:

Bryan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:55 pm »

Bryan

There is only one noise that most of them make, that pretty much sums it up.   

I guess there are two types, we have a Jackass that lives on the 5 acres across from our house.  She doesn't make much noise but she is an ornery mean cuss that will bite anyone who gets inside her territory.    I kind of like her, the two of us seem to have the same general outlook on life.   

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2007, 05:16 pm »

Bryan
Pull my finger.

Trafford

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2007, 05:36 pm »
LOL!!!!

Maybe your information is what I was looking for but the Mythos was great.

I haven't set down to learn about the measurements yet. I am in the power industry, so all of my frequency concerns are centered around 60hz. I noticed that a lot of things others like don't do much for me. Perfect sound or just good sound seems to be subjective just like the relative beauty of a woman. I do appreciate your passion for your designs and you seem to get some good reviews from those that have built your kits. I'm not sure how wrong you can go with most of the folks here on AC. I like the GR Research stuff I heard and some of the AV123 stuff, so I guess I like Danny's designs but I was really not impressed by the BE-718. The Ellis and RAW speakers were not what I thought I was looking for after I heard them at the RMAF and I am still not sure about the Selah's. Sooner or later, I may just have to roll the dice and go for one of the kits and the Kepler is the top of my list right now. If nothing else it will be a fun project and a great gift for someone, maybe even me.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2007, 05:53 pm »
It is certainly very subjective and moving them around to different rooms will change things too.    I wouldn't take too much away from shows.   Its too limited of a venue to get a real good idea of how they are going to sound in your room.    Its a little bit of a crap shot even with all the data you can compile from reviews, customer feedback and published measurements.   

The room is one of the biggest issues, take some time to learn about room acoustics as it pays off big-time.    That is why I am focusing so much of my energy on the room measurement & EQ tools.    We really need the ability to measure and adjust the bass in-room to make a meaningful leap in loudspeaker playback quality.    There just isn't many more ways of improving speaker designs without some way of addressing the elephant in the room.     

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2007, 05:54 pm »

Bryan
Pull my finger.

Please... no one pull his finger!   

Trafford

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2007, 12:56 am »
I understand the basics of room acoustics but we must live with "the other half" that does not appreciate the aesthetic appeal of sonic room treatments. Of course, the room where I plan to have these speakers is also a challenge at 22'x16' with a cathedral ceiling, hardwood floors and a picture window. There is a 9'x13' wool rug and some overstuffed leather furniture but that is it as far as "acoustic room treatments". This is a basic set-up with a HDCD player and a two channel integrated amp. It's still a great room for a nice scotch and some sweet blues.

I love the idea of internet direct and DIY but it also increases your risk of getting a sound you didn't really want. That's why I was looking for some comparisons. As I said before, I've been pretty lucky so far and I'd like to improve my odds on my next selection before my luck runs out.

TerryO

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2007, 01:49 am »

Bryan
Pull my finger.

Mr. Wiggins,

I have implemented Nano-telekinetic Cyber Phase in order to set a remote proximity trigger that will automatically pull your finger whenever you're within 15 feet of Kevin. Please be advised that any attempt to disarm or neutralize the remote proximity trigger will merely cause a precisely integrated Nano-kinetic Cyber Phase-shift and the "trigger" will then undergo a trans-substantial reciprocity transfer, resulting in Kevin becoming the "finger."
So Dan, if you decide to give Kevin the "finger," then you must live with the results. :nono:
Resistance is futile.

You've been warned!!!
Captain Kanute Cosmo
Commander of the Botarian Starship "B.S. Wave Weasle"