Continuum A.D.'s for sale $2,500.00

jfreeman373

Continuum A.D.'s for sale $2,500.00
« on: 4 Dec 2007, 04:47 am »
Continuum A.D MKI's For Sale

Hello all, Jason here....the cabinet maker for SP Tech and also Bob's son.  I have a pair of original Continuum A.D.'s for sale.  I received them in payment years back from SP Tech when we were low on cash funds. I actually made the cabinets myself so I can attest to their sturdiness.

They have the old vifa tweeter and Piano black fronts. They are in our old red cherry finish veneer.  They are not in perfect finish conditions but look very good overall.  The veneer has some dent's and small scratches, as well as the front baffles from changing apartments a couple times without due care. 

In order for them to be fixed would be more work than they are worth in my opinion.  We no longer have the original finishes available to us in order to fix the defects properly so.... they would have to be stripped.... which would be a nightmare.

If you are not picky about cosmetic perfection and want great sound..... you can't go wrong on this deal. I will clean them up the best I can before I send them out.....I do know what I'm doing :wink:.

This is not a sale to or through SP Tech...this is a personal sale to me in which the seller happens to work for SP Tech.

I plan on building myself a new matching 5.1 setup of MINI's out of solid book matched Amboyna burl..... and redwood burl veneer on the sides. The price for this wood is very, very expensive. Actually it is the most expensive wood in the world, So...I need to sell these ancient wonders to raise the funds just for the hardwood I plan to use in this project.

If you were to talk to Bob I'm sure you could get upgraded tweeters and crossovers that fit and have a kickass set of continuums with cosmetic defects for a total under 4 grand. Seeing the price for new continuums in this finish would be about $10,000...(if they were perfect of course and had all the standard upgrades)...somebody is gonna get a steal.   aa

I will be without speakers for a several months, but I get to hear them at work before they go out the door.

I guess I can live without 'till I finish our current backlog of orders and get my materials selected and secured.
I will post Pictures as soon as I can.

Asking $2,500.00 or highest offer..... PLUS shipping.

RodMCV

Re: Continuum A.D.'s for sale $2,500.00
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2007, 03:06 pm »
Good luck Jason you crazy Dude.

jfreeman373

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2007, 09:36 pm »
He he...
Thanks Rod! :green:

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2007, 03:29 am »
Can you provide pictures of the defects as well as the old cherry finish?

The change over to a new tweeter will require some changes to the WG
would it not?  Didn't the old Vifa tweeter have it's own integral WG & your
wooden portion sorta dvoetailing into Vifa's profile?

Sounds interesting.

jfreeman373

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2007, 05:27 am »
Can you provide pictures of the defects as well as the old cherry finish?

The change over to a new tweeter will require some changes to the WG
would it not?  Didn't the old Vifa tweeter have it's own integral WG & your
wooden portion sorta dvoetailing into Vifa's profile?

Sounds interesting.

Yes it did. During the "old days" after we came out with the Timepiece 2.1, we offered an upgrade path for previous 2.0 owners that allowed the new scan speak tweeter to be retrofited to the old 2.0s.  These upgrades were not as ideal as the newly manufactured waveguide but were definitely an improvement over the original vifa/waveguide combo by far.  This was a direct bolt on unit that "matches up" to the old 2.0 waveguide and came with a new crossover.

Along the way there were various crossover adjustments and waveguide tweaks... and now we are at the 3.0 level, that has been highly refined from the ground up new waveguide and all... while the crossover components have switched over to mundorf components due to Karsten's tweeking and research enabled by his high quality Audio equipment and good set of ears. 

So, now If you were to upgrade the unit... you would get the same standard mundorf crossover components as the 3.0, the new Scan Speak tweeter, a specialized bolt on throat piece, and a new tweeter mounting plate along with a new tweaked standard Mundorf crossover.  Basically you would have 90% of the sound in an old style cabinet. You could also opt for Ultimate external upgrades... but the wait time could be substantial.

The compromise to this is basically the frequency response above crossover. It would probably not be within the +/- 1 or 2 db range like we usually ship. But probably more like +/- 2 to 4 db.  The lack of distortion would be the same as well as the speed and dynamics as our top line stuff.  The only thing that might suffer "as compared to ideal" would be the imaging probably.... due to the fact that some form of diffraction within the waveguide  could be causing  phase cancellations in the outer mouth of the waveguide... seeing how it is a retrofit.  I might be totally wrong about that so you would have to ask Bob to get a straight answer. I'm just a wood worker....what do I know? Bob might be able to tweek'em flat. I've seen him do some pretty darn good tweaks over the years that's for sure.

At the same time... you could leave them how they are and enjoy them for what they are. Remember... we got good marks back in the old days too. They still sound great just how they are. I have broken them in over the last few years... that's for sure.

But, if you never heard SP Tech before and you bought these Continuums...you might just think you owned  the best speakers in the world.  Until you heard what we're making now.  I do know though that we have a couple of these retrofit throats still at the shop.

jfreeman373

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2007, 07:32 am »
Well... here are the pics.  Mostly they just need a good cleaning and some touch up. Steam out a few dents in the veneer and your close to new.

jfreeman373

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2007, 04:06 am »
bump

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:06 pm »
Continuum A.D.'s for sale $2,500.00.....thats a great price....and a very good speaker....REALLY !!!! :rock:

BUMP.....For An Excellent Deal !!!! :bounce:

jfreeman373

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:28 pm »
They would match your Timepieces really well Chris! :wink: . After, you get your MINIS you could have a dedicated SP TECH Home theatre with no sub or center needed. Move your TImepiece's to the rears and set the Continuums in the front. Kick butt system for sure!  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:57 pm »
Why isn't this in industry ads or the Trading Post?

Might get more action that way.

George

jfreeman373

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:03 pm »
Cause, I don't know what the heck I'm doing !  :?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:21 pm »
They would match your Timepieces really well Chris! :wink: . After, you get your MINIS you could have a dedicated SP TECH Home theatre with no sub or center needed. Move your TImepiece's to the rears and set the Continuums in the front. Kick butt system for sure!  :lol:
Simple answer Jason....my room is too small.....and its a warehouse in here.... :oops: :(

I'm pushing it with the TP's......but for those that have a nice room...a rare deal !!!

( Check with PeteG.....he owns a pair... 8) )

jfreeman373

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:36 pm »
Yeah I was kidding Chris...two pair is enough for anybody.  :lol:

Pete's are oak though aren't they? Wouldn't match so well. I know I'm gonna be moving again..... sooner rather than later..... and I am just tired of lugging these things around at about 100Lbs each.  If and when I ever get a house then I'll build a top of the line system, but for now I need something a little more portable that takes up less space.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:40 pm »
Yeah I was kidding Chris...two pair is enough for anybody.

Well....I do own other speakers Jason....but none are as good as the SP Tech's.... :rock:

I mention PeteG so that anyone wanting another opinion could ask him....he's a good guy !! :thumb:

BRIAN DK

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2007, 07:11 pm »
Just go fore it. Its a wonderful speaker, a lot of value for the money.

Karsten lend me a pair of Continuums 2,0 with upgraded tweeter and medium upgraded x-over while I patiently wait for a set of Revelations with top Mundorf x-overs. (not complaining at all) 8)

Even being the old types its by far the best speakers I have ever had in my setup. Its so natural and dynamic its scaring. The first time I turned them on all the hairs on my arms and neck stood up! :o

Help- Charlie Mussel White was in my livingroom. Played with a nerve and timing seldom experienced even on bigger systems.

Classical music is played with huge space and depth its like looking at a real orchestra. Musicians is easily separated even in complex pieces. One record contains sounds from traffic in the bagground, now I can hear  a truck and a tiny scooter moving outside the building.  :o

When I crank them there is absolutely no sign off compressing the peaks. The SPL is often quite higher than you would expect, no glare or smear just sweet clean big sound. Its impossible to talk together, my wife have to shout "COFFEEEEEE!" aa

Regards,
Brian 

jfreeman373

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:45 pm »
SOLD to RMS for $2,795.00  Thanks to all who were interested. :green: If for some reason the sale dosn't go through... I wil relist...thanks.

RodMCV

« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec 2007, 04:10 pm »
Looks like RMS is one lucky dude!

Such a deal too.
I do know a deal!

rms

« Reply #17 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:01 pm »
Lucky indeed - I had been considering a used pair of Reference 3A mm de capo i, and somehow came across some of you guys posts about SP Tech in various places, which piqued my interest. So I started reading some, and then more, and eventually came across this post. Without even thinking twice I pm'd Jason to see if they were still available and asked him some questions. I must thank Jason for taking what must have been quite a bit of time out of his day to send me a very detailed description of the speakers with a lot of great advice. If any of you are interested, (and with his permission) I would be glad to repost that letter here. I just couldn't pass these up as I have not the means to buy these brand new at full price - or even close. I have worked hard to find the best equipment possible within my budget over the years and have done fairly well but have never reached what I think my system should sound like. I want to hear every detail and be able to close my eyes and feel like the band or orchestra is in the room with me. My current setup is Technics SL1200, Rega Planet cdp, B&K Pro10MC pre (original early model) Hafler H500 modified by John Hillig, and KEF 104/2's. I asked Jason if he thought any of this would work well with the Continuum's but he is not familiar with this eqpt so if any of you know I would appreciate some advice. His suggestion (this is a very truncated version of his recommendation) was to go from my computer running .wav files via windows media player directly to a "fast" poweramp (don't know if the Hafler is considered fast - I also have a B&K ST202) and use that setup as a reference to then select other components. This will be a whole new adventure for me. I am hoping that the eqpt I have will work well but will certainly consider selling, upgrading, trading, as necessary in my attempt to reach audio nirvana.
Anyway, thanks again to Jason, and I wish all of you a Happy Holiday!

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2007, 12:00 am »
Congrats on a great deal, rms, and welcome to the SP Tech family.  :thumb:

If you have the opportunity at some point, I strongly recommend considering a comment in Jason's first post -
If you were to talk to Bob I'm sure you could get upgraded tweeters and crossovers that fit and have a kickass set of continuums with cosmetic defects for a total under 4 grand.

The original Continuums are very good speakers, especially for what you paid.  Nevertheless, the new tweeter and Mundorf crossover are well worth the price of admission and then some. 

I believe the new owners of Timepiece Minis (w/ Mundorf crossover components) will back me up on that.  :wink: