'Awake'

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
'Awake'
« on: 3 Dec 2007, 07:41 am »
Saw it Friday afternoon and enjoyed it so much, I saw it again tonite.  In between I read Roger Ebert's review of it... http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/REVIEWS/71130001 ...and learned of the apparently negative rep it has generated before its release.  Don't believe that hearsay.  This is highly entertaining stuff, and Jessica Alba is really fun to look at--unfortunately we don't get to see much of her.  Hayden Christiansen plays his character to be somewhat of a wimp, but Lena Olin's and Terrance Howard's performances are very good.

Go see it; you too probably will enjoy yourself.

bubba966

Re: 'Awake'
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2007, 06:49 pm »
I'll have to agree with you on this one. Certainly one of the better movies in the theaters as of late. Christiansen is playing his normal whiney wuss self. I don't much care for him. Too bad no one is out watching this.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2007, 09:06 pm »
I passed on this one last night, made a choice on what I thought seemed more interesting while at the ticket booth.  Saw Alba on the promo and figured, O.K. some eye candy for an hour and hopefully a decent movie.  But then thought Alba, how good can it be, so I passed.  Now you say she's not even much in the movie, huh.

Chose "Before the Devil Knows You Dead" instead and was very pleased, good movie.  Starring Ethan Hawke, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Marisa Tomei.

FWIW, You get to see alot of Tomei in this one.  :wink:

I'll put "Awake" back on my radar.

Thanks

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2007, 09:26 pm »
When I saw "V For Vendetta" I was relieved that Natalie Portman can in fact act and that it was actually George Lucas' writing that sucked.  Perhaps this movie does the same for Chistiansen?  It seems hard to believe, though.  Ebert's advice is sound.  The less you know about a movie going in the better it is sometimes.  I hate trailers that give away the whole damn thing.

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm »
Yeah, Hayden Christensen can act quite well. Check out Shattered Glass for proof.