Customer's Audio Note 6550 Single Ended - pictures & burn in

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Here is a couple pictures of an Audio Note Kit 2 that was purchased and custom built through Response Audio. It was just finished this morning and is shown below in it's system burn-in run. The Audio Note Kit 2 is a 15 watt Single Ended integrated amplifier based on the 6550 output tube. This particular amp has some upgrade options such as Black Gate capacitors throughout (driver board and power tube cathode bypass) as well as 1W & 2W AN Tantalum resistors on the main driver board.

The speakers you see in the picture are our Musica Bella SP/AV-2 MTM which are about 95dB. Oh what a sweet sound that is coming out of them at this very moment.

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2007, 03:56 am by Response Audio »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Customer's Audio Note 6550 SET - during system burn in
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2007, 06:44 pm »
A quick follow-up:

I wanted to see what kind of noise floor we have but I could not pick up anythng on the scope  :scratch: so I just paused the source  (a Sony SACD/DVD player) and cranked the volume 100%. For the first time EVER, I did not hear the slightest hint of noise even if I place my ear ON the tweeter. This has got to be the quietest tube amp I have ever heard. Period. :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Customer's Audio Note 6550 SET - pictures & burn in
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2007, 12:52 am »
Hi everyone,
 After receiving a few emails, I thought I would clear something up. Response Audio is NOT a dealer for Audio Note UK finished products.

As can be seen on our website, these are custom built Audio Note Kit products with a few upgrades/enhancements incorperated into their original design as well as offering an assembly service for the Audio Note Kit products for those who are not comfortable in the undertaking themselves.

We offer US customers (and a few select countries) the oppurtunity to purchse fully assembled units or have their units direct shipped to us for the assembly of stock and upgraded pieces. We also offer a warranty on every Audio Note Kit piece we build.

I will post more detailed information in a seperate thread.

The complete amplifier above was purchased through Response Audio.

We have been authorized by Audio Note Kits for the work we do and Peter Q is also aware of what we are doing.

Here is a picture of a Custom M2 preamp that was built for the showroom using the Mundorf power supply and a few extra goodies. This piece is also for sale now as we are moving up to the M3.

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2007, 02:11 am »
Hi Bill

Looks very beautiful indeed, certainly much better than AN's black acrylic! I owned a Audio Note MEISHU (300 B Integrated) once and have never been able to recreate the magic of the sweetest tube magic I have heard! I wonder how different the 6550 SET is compared with MEISHU (which I believe is a Level 3 product in the AN hierarchy).

How much are these going for?

Best Regards
Dennis

shokunin

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2007, 03:19 am »
Hi bill,

How does the AN Kit2 compare to the Bella 3205?  Assuming one doesn't need the extra wattage on the 3205?  I believe this amp is not an SET as it's using a pentode, but it is running in Single Ended.  Kind of like the Almarro A205, it's an SE Pentode.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2007, 03:55 am »
Looks very beautiful indeed, certainly much better than AN's black acrylic! I owned a Audio Note MEISHU (300 B Integrated) once and have never been able to recreate the magic of the sweetest tube magic I have heard! I wonder how different the 6550 SET is compared with MEISHU (which I believe is a Level 3 product in the AN hierarchy).

How much are these going for?

Hello Dennis,

There is also the 300B/2A3 integrated as well as the 6550. Information and pricing can be found here:

http://www.bellaextreme.com/ankit2.htm

How does the AN Kit2 compare to the Bella 3205?  Assuming one doesn't need the extra wattage on the 3205?

I have answered this question quite a few times the past couple of weeks. These are obviously different circuits and of course different transformers. In all honesty, I have not yet done a side-by-side with these two amps but can tell you that the AN 6550 has the SE sweetness that you obviously cannot get in a push-pull design. The sweetness, detail and air coming from the AN right now is breath taking.

I believe this amp is not an SET as it's using a pentode, but it is running in Single Ended.  Kind of like the Almarro A205, it's an SE Pentode.

You are absolutely correct. It is actually a SEP design.

The Audio Note 6550 integrated stereo amplifier yields about 12-15 watts in pure unblemished Class A, single-ended operation. It uses a single 6550 pentode per channel, one of the most popular and reliable pentodes ever designed in a single-ended arrangement. Each stage of the amp is operated in class A.

richidoo

Wow, Bill. Gorgeous looking, exciting to learn about, must sound like heaven! Very tempting. Another successful product line for you I imagine. You are a good businessman. I can't wait to be a customer one of these days.
Rich

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Thanks for the kind words Rich. Obviously we do things a bit differently around here. The Audio Note Custom builds and assembly service has been pretty good for us lately. Unfortunately, we cannot do much in regard of advertising these products as we do not want to step on the toes of Peter Q and dealers of his manufactured products. We simply want to offer an affordable alternative to those who can't quite swing the official Audio Note product line.