Goertz Cables

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Goertz Cables
« on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:04 pm »
Hi All,

Goertz sent me some cables to play with.
http://www.alphacore.com/goertz.htm

Anyone had experience with these cables?

james

valvesnvinylfan

• Home Theater/Audio Guru at Aperion Audio
Re: Goertz Cables
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:10 pm »
Lucky you! I have a set of the entry-level copper stuff at home--MI 1's and Tourmaline. I think they sound fantastic for the money, very organic and coherent from top to bottom. Let me know what you think.

Happy Listening!  :D

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:06 am »
I'd be interested in your thoughts, James. I've never used them, but based on their literature it appears that they offer a different ride on the high-capacitance highway. Their claimed resistance is astonishingly low, however, so maybe they are on to something. Not sure how they hold up mechanically, though.  :scratch:

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:10 am »
Hi James!

I have the CenterStage MI1 in my system (B60).

These cables are fantastic!
I lent them from my local dealer, only to try them out. Had them in for a while and I thought that the difference would not justify the cost. So I brought them back!

BIG mistake! As I came back home and connected my old cables (T+A) - I was shocked!!! What an awful sound!! It was a difference like night and day. Really, I thought: "How's that possible??".

It seems that a "step down" in sound quality is much more recognizable than a "step up".

Next day, I went back to my dealer and bought the cables without hesitation!

My system sounds MUCH better with them (perhaps my old cables were only really bad).

Especially female voices are improved.
For example: Loreena McKennitts strong voice was sometimes unpleasant to hear in the highest highs - I always thought that this was an issue with my speakers. But with the Goertz, her voice is smooth - without loss of detail!
But not only voices - everything is better! Overall impression: The music sounds cleaner, more controlled and natural.

I tried the interconnects too, but there was no significant difference to my MITs. I think the speaker cables are those which rock!!!  :thumb:

Would be nice to read your impressions!

jkelly

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:32 am »
I have been using the M2's for many years with my Brines FT1600 MKII and Clari-T
and love them.  I think they have a nice combo of warmth and detail which really
help the single driver FT1600MKII.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:38 am »
If anyone has tried the MI 1/2 cable and the anti-cables I'd be interested to hear your opinion...

The Goertz cable makes sense to me as a speaker cable, but NOT as an IC... I've never heard a high-capacitance IC that I like. The speaker cable has consistantly great reviews.

Dave

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2007, 03:29 am »
The MI-2's are the best speaker cables I've ever had...the only ones that I consider a near certain stepup as a cable.  All the others, including 12 and 13ga magnet wire, were just step-arounds.

The high-capacitance is blunted with a Zoebel network at the speaker side...tho little doubt that it would hiccup a Bryston, even if it didn't have one.

The Goertz didn't work as an interconnect, however.  The TQ2 (silver) was amazingly clear...but left a ringing sound (literally, like a bell on treble sounds).  It wasn't difficult on the ears, it just sounded false to me.

Enjoy - John 

acresm22

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2007, 03:39 am »
I've used the MI1 and MI2 flat cables, and an 8' pair of the Python cables, with both SS (Aragon 8002 and Tripath 2024 variants) and tube amps (too many to name). Am currently using MI1 copper with an ASL 300B SET amp driving Klipsch LaScalas. I like em a lot. The MI series are a little touchy to work with...the poly sleeve that houses the flat conductors likes to bend one way but not the other, and tends to crack with age (I'm using relatively old ones, from the mid-90s), but the sound is hard to fault. I've never experienced the oscillation problems that some have with high powered SS amps, but I've mostly used them with tube amps.

I'm not a big believer in the many claims made by high-end cable manufacturers, but I demoed a pair of MI2, Audioquest Crystal and Transparent something-or-others back in the mid-90s when I was cable shopping. I chose the MI2, and NOT because I liked the flat architecture and the crinkly sheath. They just sounded better to me.

acresm22

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2007, 03:42 am »
Re Goertz interconnects, I'll second (or third) the comments made by others here. I had a pair of 1m Tourmalines for awhile, but didn't really care for them. Replaced them with a 1m pair of RCA DT3 cheapies....great ICs, BTW.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2007, 09:07 am »
I use the Alpha-Core Serpent speaker cables for my rear 3 speakers in my 6.1 system and they work much better than the Signal Cable Double Runs that I had been running. Running 30' runs  3 times gets expensive and Goertz was the best quality "flat" cable deal I could find to match up with my front main Ridge Street Poiema!!!. I figure this must be pretty good cable cuz Ridge Street themselves recommended it to me!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin