Add HD and use it rather than the current drive?

John Casler

Re: Add HD and use it rather than the current drive?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2007, 03:34 pm »
Hi Randy (and Woodsyi)

Strangely enough, I kept deleting files and programs to try and increase the amount of "free space" (according to Defrag, there was more fragmented space than used space and only 13% of free space, and defrag will only work if you have 15% or more)

Finally I deleted "NERO" and ALL video files and bada bing, all is well.

The whole HD now defrags, and I think I have like 55% free space or more.

Seems like it all started with the Video Program that came with an external Sony DVD recorder called Nero.

Thanks all for the help. :thumb:

Hi John
If you need some PC help, installing an internal HD, let me know.  I could stop on the way home one day, and give you a hand.  I've done it a bunch of times.

For backups, if I was you, I would buy an external drive, and copy all your files to it, and just store it away.  I bought a 500g external for $80 (after rebate) on BF from staples online.  I'm sure there will be more deals on 500g externals before christmas.

Randy

randytsuch

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2007, 05:23 pm »
Hi Randy (and Woodsyi)

Strangely enough, I kept deleting files and programs to try and increase the amount of "free space" (according to Defrag, there was more fragmented space than used space and only 13% of free space, and defrag will only work if you have 15% or more)

Finally I deleted "NERO" and ALL video files and bada bing, all is well.

The whole HD now defrags, and I think I have like 55% free space or more.

Seems like it all started with the Video Program that came with an external Sony DVD recorder called Nero.

Thanks all for the help. :thumb:

Hi John
If you need some PC help, installing an internal HD, let me know.  I could stop on the way home one day, and give you a hand.  I've done it a bunch of times.

For backups, if I was you, I would buy an external drive, and copy all your files to it, and just store it away.  I bought a 500g external for $80 (after rebate) on BF from staples online.  I'm sure there will be more deals on 500g externals before christmas.

Randy

Hi John
Glad you got it figured out.  You didn't have to thank me, since I didn't actually do anything, but the offer stands, just let me know if you get stuck, and I can swing by and give it a look.

Randy

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2007, 07:32 pm »
I use a program called East Tec Eraser.
It's a HD cleaning tool that hunts down and wipes out old files and all sorts of garbage that can accumulate on a drive after prolonged use.
This will in part free up space.

Bah, I'll list my usefull programs (All bought and paid for by the way, or free), why don't I

- East Tec Eraser 2008 / East Tec Backup 2007, Soon to be followed by Memeo. (used to have Norton Ghost = used to be called Drive Image)
- Piriform CC cleaner (HD cleaning tool ++)
- Spybot (Search and Destroy) - Removes spyware/adware
- F-Secure (Viruskiller ++)
- Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2007 (Virus Killer ++)
- Symantec (Norton) 2006/2007 (Viruskiller, Full software package)
- Perfectdisk 8 (The only defragger recommended by Microsoft) (Will defrag with as little as 1% available space...  :? Oh that just occured to me would have been a handy info some days ago, eh? Sorry about that!)
- Iolo System Mechanic (latest) - The best program I've found for keeping a Windows install working perfecly! As newly installed everyday!
- And I have a Nero version that came with the laptop.

Hey my screen looks like this (Currently wiping my older S-ata, getting ready to set up a new backup Woho!)

Check out how the Tiger on my desktop is "sniffing" the spyware/adware icon... Hehe.  :thumb:

Oh yeah, while we are talking about nifty programs, free ones even...
http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm This is a very cool HD utility/Back up and Drive/partition clone tool! Free! And very quick!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:18 am »
Well, I just received this here HD cabinet now:

I've not yet gotten around to get a HD drive for it.
I thought I would build my own HD drive!  :thumb:
I'll report back when it's running and say what I think of this!
I've not yet ordered a S-ata HD for it. Any Ideas?
I was thinking of the new Samsung SpinPoint F1 series, say the 750Gigs with 32MB buffers.

Imperial

Well, I've tested this now and it has an internal file copy speed of 36MB/s. All in out is limited to say 14MB/s for larger files and
upwards to ca 36MB/s for smaller files below say 2-300MB.
After say 2 hours continuous use it is a critical temp, and needs to be cooled.
For small file use, small server duty it is FAST!!! It starts files/programs much faster than what it did connected to
my older silicon image controller inside my old computer.
But it is as Gary says, this one simply gets to hot to quickly!
It is not for continonus use! It will read say 50Gigs in about an hour for backup purposes that is like 14.2MB/sec.
No, I'm gonna get me a hot-swap drive bay, like mentioned earlier for more stable use! This is gonna be my secondary backup drive, nothin more!!!

Imperial