Digital SLR recommendations

JohnR

Re: Digital SLR recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:25 am »
One more thing... (Sorry Bob, and by the way I am going to stop recommending cameras any more...)

The listing says "Comes with 1 Year Store Warranty." This presumably means it is a grey-market import,  and you will have to send it back to the seller if there's a problem.

Some info on the B&H site here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

Something to be aware of, anyway.

navi

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2007, 12:55 pm »
Go the new canon 400D 10megapixels with sensor cleaning (very important)- they are so cheap right now...... Sony's new 12mp camera looks good but would cost you a LOT more. I've used it - it's not as good as the 5D but it's so damn cheap.

Ivan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:32 pm »
Thanks Ivan!

John, you've got a PM.
That fellow Ken Rockwell has some very good reviews/articles. With all his links, a fellow could spend days reading. It seems the sun rises and sets on the D40. Very happy to hear that.
Lots of link you've provided, that should keep me busy for a while.
I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Bob

8thnerve

« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2007, 05:08 pm »

AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

This is or used to be the kit lens for the D80, I believe. A number of retailers now offer it as a kit with the D40. A good option if you want a little more reach than the 18-55 but don't need a long telephoto. A lot heavier though and will make the combo "lens-heavy" so you would want to handle it first.

AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Very wide 11x zoom range. More distortion than the lower-range zooms but I doubt it's likely to be a problem unless shooting architecture. There are some people here who have one who could comment. Getting pricy now though (quite a bit more than the body).

Note that all the above are relatively "slow" lenses and typically have maximum aperture of f/5.6 (at one end of the zoom range). Fast lenses, however, especially in the long zooms, are quite a bit more expensive.

I have the 18-135 as it was the kit lens on my D80.  Great lens, no complaints except the lack of VR.  Solid with great glass.  That 18-200 is probably the most widely lusted after Nikon Lens (for prosumers, not pros) and I'd do lots of unethical things to get one. ;-)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2007, 09:48 pm »
Well, I should have the camera in less than one week. I spoke with a fellow last night, then again this afternoon, who said he'd 'upsell' me to this lens for an additional $60:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2156

Interesting note, on Nikons website, the make the comment;
"An excellent companion to the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED".

That makes me feel better.

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:30 pm »
Cool :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 23 Dec 2007, 04:35 pm »
The listing says "Comes with 1 Year Store Warranty." This presumably means it is a grey-market import,  and you will have to send it back to the seller if there's a problem.

Well, a lot has gone on since I've posted last. The unit is a gray market camera. After NUMEROUS vollies of communications with Ebay and Nikon about my options I started making attempts at communicating with Digital-shopping-network aka "ShopSunshine.com" and basically got tired of being ignored. Immediately after purchasing the unit I received an Email from the sellers asking if I would write a review of their company. Also, I was saving me eBay feedback until I was satisfied.  8) .......Well,.....I've had enough. I provided feeback allright. I also provided them with the review they've been wanting.  :icon_twisted: I gave them a kick in the balls. Hard. aa
I received a phone call just HOURS later!!!  :o The man greatly apologized for my inconvenience and explained I had received "the wrong camera".  :lol: They are going to send me ANOTHER D40 in addition to an "upgraded" battery for my inconvenience. Most of the time spend on the phone was giving me very detailed instructions on how to reverse my feedback on eBay!  :finger: Bastards!
You know, I can't remember if he asked me to send the old camera back.  :wink: I hope they buy the shipping insurance like I did. It would suck if it "got lost" in transport back to them.  :dunno:

I love this camera. John, thank you for the recommendation Sir. I have no regrets other than who I bought from. I've taken about 600 photo's with it, and loved every minute. Wonderful machine.

Anybody wanna buy a very slightly used - non-registerable Nikon D40?  :rotflmao:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2007, 04:38 pm »
............by the way..............;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATHAN M............... :birthday: :beer:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 23 Dec 2007, 05:06 pm »
Amazon has camera and 18-55mm lens only for $450
Dells Outlet store has the same thing for $465.
The one on Ebay for $468 is a great bargin with all the extras.

Bob
A great bargain..... :nono:
Word to the wise....anytime your buying camera's or electronics, and the seller is located in NYC area....check them out. Plenty of "grey market goods" around... :shake:

There was a past thread about this problem...... :wink:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #29 on: 23 Dec 2007, 05:33 pm »
Anybody wanna buy a very slightly used - non-registerable Nikon D40?  :rotflmao:

Bob

How much? :)