Emerald Physics CS2's at Zybar's

Jonathan

Re: Emerald Physics CS2's at Zybar's
« Reply #80 on: 30 Nov 2007, 08:59 pm »
Emerald Physics (and others) are excited about the fact that they are hearing great sound even when utilizing very inexpensive pro-audio amps (apparently they're using ART amps with great success).

My initial thought was to grab a pair of the cheap ARTs, but since super-high quality amplification does not seem to be critical, I got to wondering how my Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver would do in the short term (run it in party mode with 4 channels at 100 wpc each).
Would sure be cheap and easy.

I'm still trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and buy these babies unheard (they'd be replacing Thiel 3.6s that I'd have to sell to finance this project). Yikes.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #81 on: 30 Nov 2007, 09:24 pm »
Emerald Physics (and others) are excited about the fact that they are hearing great sound even when utilizing very inexpensive pro-audio amps (apparently they're using ART amps with great success).

My initial thought was to grab a pair of the cheap ARTs, but since super-high quality amplification does not seem to be critical, I got to wondering how my Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver would do in the short term (run it in party mode with 4 channels at 100 wpc each).
Would sure be cheap and easy.

I'm still trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and buy these babies unheard (they'd be replacing Thiel 3.6s that I'd have to sell to finance this project). Yikes.

You would only be able to do that with the DVD 6 channel mode on the sa-xr25. You can't run it in party mode because the CS2's need to be biamped. You would also need to have a lot of xlr/rca adapters on hand. You could however, mod your DCX for digital output, and have a pair of sa-xr25's running full digital for the biamping like I will be doing.  :thumb:

csero

« Reply #82 on: 30 Nov 2007, 10:07 pm »
Do yo do the 6 ch digital input on the pana before the pana volume control or just have the 14 db analog adjustment range of the PS?

sunshinedawg

« Reply #83 on: 30 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm »
Do yo do the 6 ch digital input on the pana before the pana volume control or just have the 14 db analog adjustment range of the PS?

I am not clever enough to do that, I will have spdif digital outs from my dcx going into the standard rca digital input on the pannys.

Jonathan

« Reply #84 on: 1 Dec 2007, 12:46 am »

You would only be able to do that with the DVD 6 channel mode on the sa-xr25. You can't run it in party mode because the CS2's need to be biamped. You would also need to have a lot of xlr/rca adapters on hand. You could however, mod your DCX for digital output, and have a pair of sa-xr25's running full digital for the biamping like I will be doing.  :thumb:

:duh: You're absolutely right. For some dumb reason I was thinking of using the speaker outs. My bad. 
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2007, 03:30 am by Jonathan »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #85 on: 1 Dec 2007, 02:52 pm »
Guys,

Unfortunately, our friends at UPS decided to only deliver part of my shipment of tube amps that was supposed to arrive yesterday.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

So I won't be running the CS2's with all tubes this weekend.

Hopefully I will get the remaining boxes early next week.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #86 on: 1 Dec 2007, 03:01 pm »
I know that there were a few posts asking about pricing of the CS2's without the pre-programmed Behringer DCX-2496 unit.  While you need to talk to Clayton or an Emerald Physics' dealer to get actual pricing, I will say that it isn't $500 off the $3000 list price for the CS2/pre-programmed Behringer DCX-2496 package.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 5 Dec 2007, 05:53 pm »
Ok, I now have all of the tube amps that I wanted to use this past weekend in house.  :thumb:

Hopefully, by the end of this weekend I will have had a chance to listen to the amps.

The first configuration will be the following:

Atma-Sphere M-60's on tweeter
Bella Extreme 100's in Pentode mode on the woofers

George

cab

« Reply #88 on: 22 Dec 2007, 03:27 pm »
It has been several weeks and I can find no further info -Have I missed the review of these????

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #89 on: 22 Dec 2007, 03:32 pm »
It has been several weeks and I can find no further info -Have I missed the review of these????

Nope.

Work and the holidays (ok, mostly work) haven't left me any play time.

Good news is that I should have free time between now and New Year's.

The only good news with the delay is that the CS2's are fully broken in.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #90 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:13 pm »
Ok, I finally managed to find time to get the CS2's into the main room.   :wink:

Here is a picture of the setup:

I am using the following gear:

Emerald Physics CS2 speakers
Bella Extreme 100 mono blocks on top of Boston Audio Design Tune Block SE's for the woofers
McAlister PP-150 on top of Mapleshade Ultimate Triple Points for the tweeter
Bolder Cable Statement SB3 with Ultimate Nirvana Power Supply into a modified DCX-2496 via a VH Audio Silver Nextgen Pulsar digital ic on top of Boston Audio Design Tune Blocks
Black Sand Statement One power cords on the Bella Extreme 100's
Black Sand Silver Reference Mk V power cords on the McAlister PP-150 and Bolder Cable Ultimate Nirvana Power Supply
Black Sand Violet 2 power cord on the modified DCX-2496
Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner (everything is plugged into it) on an Sistrum SP-004 platform
Gregg Straley Speaker Cables
VH Audio Symmetry XLR ic's for the Bella Extreme 100's
VH Audio Spectrum Cu RCA ic's for the McAlister PP-150
All RealTraps room treatments (MiniTraps, MondoTraps, Tri-Corner Traps, and Diffusors

I am happy to report that both tube amps are dead quiet on the CS2's and producing some outstanding music!!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I have the speakers about 8 1/2' feet away from the front wall and the speakers are about 10' apart and roughly 12' from listening chair.  I still need to work on placement and toe in, before I can say that I have things locked in.

All of the positive attributes that drew me to the speakers and made me want to become an Emerald Physics dealer are still present with tubes.   :dance:

Lightening fast transient response, very wide dynamic range, impactful and detailed bass, effortless sound at all playback levels, great depth and presence (tubes really helped out in this area) in the soundstage, yada, yada, yada... 

Let me get them totally dialed in before I say much more...

George

Double Ugly

« Reply #91 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:45 pm »
Looks good, George.  :thumb:

Best of luck with your new business.

-Jim

arthurs

« Reply #92 on: 29 Dec 2007, 05:21 pm »
Lookin good George!   :thumb:

Frank S.

« Reply #93 on: 29 Dec 2007, 05:36 pm »
Very, very nice George.  Wish you still lived in Carmel as I'd love to hear that setup. Give that PPP a try  :wink:

carusoracer

« Reply #94 on: 29 Dec 2007, 07:05 pm »
Looks pretty Cool George :beer:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #95 on: 30 Dec 2007, 12:39 am »
Congratulations George, that's a real nice demo room for the Emerald's. Bet it sounds awesome, your systems always do. BTW, did you do any treatment to the ceiling & the wall/ceiling w/Real Traps?

Man, I gotta take a ride down there sometime soon. Heck I'd even wear a Giant cap just to hear this system.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 30 Dec 2007, 12:50 am »
Congratulations George, that's a real nice demo room for the Emerald's. Bet it sounds awesome, your systems always do. BTW, did you do any treatment to the ceiling & the wall/ceiling w/Real Traps?

Man, I gotta take a ride down there sometime soon. Heck I'd even wear a Giant cap just to hear this system.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

You are always welcome to visit and I won't even ask you to wear a Giants or Yankee hat.

Of course, I won't let you in if you are wearing a Cowboys or Red Sox hat.   aa

In regards to room treatment...I don't have any treatments on the ceiling.  With the CS2's and their waveguide, I don't think I need anything up there.  I do have tri-corner traps in all the ceiling/wall room corners.

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #97 on: 30 Dec 2007, 01:43 am »

These are not going to win a beauty contest, so much for vanity, as if that really mattered anyhow.  Nevertheless without too much effort, the visual appeal could be improved.

Santa overlooked these on my Christmas wish list.  Heck, I'd even settle for just a demo.

TomS

« Reply #98 on: 30 Dec 2007, 02:36 am »
Lookin' good in the main room George!

WC - as far as looks, they really are rather nice in person.  The option to simply cover the waveguide with the cloth for a unified front panel, as well as other color options Clayton has in mind will certainly jazz them up a bit.  I'm spoiled rotten having the Merlins (piano black) so the CS2's while not bad looking aren't quite in that league.  Made to a price point but very nicely finished.

Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #99 on: 30 Dec 2007, 02:40 am »
I agree that they don't look as good as my Vandy 5A's, but as Tom mentioned, they don't look bad in person.

In my room, with all the solid black Realtraps products, they do tend to blend into the room more than they might in other rooms.

George