Emerald Physics CS2's at Zybar's

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Re: Emerald Physics CS2's at Zybar's
« Reply #60 on: 30 Nov 2007, 01:52 pm »
There is a bit more feedback on the CS2 in the following thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46631.10

I have had them for about 3 weeks now. But as a dealer, I don't know if my feedback is what you are looking for.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #61 on: 30 Nov 2007, 01:57 pm »
wow - nearly 2500 views so far on this topic - I'm clearly not alone in my interest.

I KNOW George will post some honest appraisals of the CS2's.....if you look back at George's reviews in the past he's unusually succinct in that regard.  That he bought the Emerald Physics, and began selling them as a dealer.....given his innate familiarity with gear many times the cost of what I am familiar with....this topic, and likely speaker, begs for further attention  :thumb:

By the way, I am of the belief that too many speakers are hideously overpriced - $3000 for this level of thoughtfulness and technology seems eminently reasonable where hi-end/audiophool bookshelf speakers with passive crossovers too often cost $2500.00+

I am thinking it won't be long when Clayton must raise costs to create additional margin for both he and himself and understands what time and effort goes into running an 'organization' such as this. $3000 retail might be an introductory gift to many who jump on board early-on.

Looking forward to reading further posts on the CS2

John  :)
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2007, 02:44 pm by TheChairGuy »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #62 on: 30 Nov 2007, 02:38 pm »
Must be something else if George is dealing them.  I won't do DXO with my vinyl source but I am glad to see active XO systems come to light.  Somebody in the area get a pair from George so I can hear them.   :thumb:  Good luck George. 

mfsoa

« Reply #63 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:05 pm »
So to use these speakers, the anolog input signal must go through an ADA conversion?

If true I would think this might be a drawback for the anolog mavens around here.

I guess like anything audio (or anything period) there's pros and cons.

Sounds like the pros are really significant with these speakers!

-Mike (are there a disproportionate number of "Mikes" who are audiophiles? Is it a microphone abbreviation thing? You should see the NY Rave when someone says "Hey, Mike". We need name changes - Now who wants to be Bodkin Van Horn? Hoos-Foos? Me- I'll take Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.  See Seuss' "Too many Daves" for reference http://stuff.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/poetry/poems/tooManyDaves.html  )

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #64 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:09 pm »
i have no issues using a dxo w/my analog sources, fwiw...

ymmv,

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #65 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:11 pm »
So to use these speakers, the anolog input signal must go through an ADA conversion?

If true I would think this might be a drawback for the anolog mavens around here.

-Mike (are there a disproportionate number of "Mikes" who are audiophiles? Is it a microphone abbreviation thing? You should see the NY Rave when someone says "Hey, Mike". We need name changes - Now who wants to be Bodkin Van Horn? Hoos-Foos? Me- I'll take Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.  See Seuss' "Too many Daves" for reference http://stuff.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/poetry/poems/tooManyDaves.html  )
hehe... way too many mikes. Its a great idea... to make up new names. hmm let me think about what I should be called..
Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #66 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:12 pm »

Correct.

If you feed the DCX an analog signal, it will need to be converted to digital inside the DCX and back to analog to go out to your amps.

George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #67 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:17 pm »

I am thinking it won't be long when Clayton must raise costs to create additional margin for both he and himself and understands what time and effort goes into running an 'organization' such as this. $3000 retail might be an introductory gift to many who jump on board early-on.

John  :)

On the contrary, maybe Clayton already has sufficient margin and he would be better off keeping the retail price where it is to fend off the inevitable competition from other innovative speaker manufactures. Perhaps he can make more money by selling more units at a smaller margin than fewer speakers at a larger per unit margin.

-Roy

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #68 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:20 pm »

ymmv,

doug s.

Then get a pair already.  Maybe you can get a discount without the DCX since you already have a DEQX.  What's another pair of speakers when you already have a roomful?  :lol: :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #69 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:53 pm »

ymmv,

doug s.

Then get a pair already.  Maybe you can get a discount without the DCX since you already have a DEQX.  What's another pair of speakers when you already have a roomful?  :lol: :lol:
ya, it is kinda funny, all the speakers around!   :green:  i inquired, & i would get a $500 price reduction if i were to purchase w/o the dxo hardware/software.  tempting, but i would have to let something else go if i were to be able to come up w/another $2500 for stereo stuff...   :scratch:  and, i hate paying retail!   8)  the only thing i ever bought retail was my vmps larger subs, cuz i couldn't find anything even close to their performance at the price, even diy or used.  and, that was >10 years ago, & i still have 'em in use in my main system.   :green:  another issue w/the emrealds is that they do not recommend using them w/non-dipole subs like my vmps, so i would have to park them...  or build another pair from the non-megawoofer drivers i saved, from when i upgraded 'em, & park 'em backwards & outta phase, directly behind the front-facing pair...  hmmmm...   8)

doug s.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #70 on: 30 Nov 2007, 04:23 pm »
Hey George,

VEEEEEEERY interesting here for sure. aa

1.   Are they going to be at CES or THE show in Vegas as I am going down there, and just sold my main speakers for something different, which these sound like.

2.   I have a DBX DriveRack PA for my IB subs that has the HIGH and MID sections ready for use (I like these units better than the Behringers I had for the Subs, so....), would this work so I can save the $500 as well, which would get me closer to my budget?

3.   Do they have the warmer et al sound signature I liked so much from the Silverline's you advised and sold me? I still have a live room with the treatments, but better than before.

4.   Since I live way the hell out here in Reno, are there any dealers in the Bay area for these? Would love to go and hear them if they will not be going to Vegas.

Thanks and good luck with all. :thumb:

Z

GregC

« Reply #71 on: 30 Nov 2007, 04:39 pm »
I understand how people would want to save money by using their existing digital crossovers, but much of the beauty of the CS2 solution is that it is plug and play with the Behringer.  Clayton has installed preset programs for the different distances you may place the speakers from the back wall. 

As far as analog, I would not worry about these speakers since they are very revealing and transparent.  You should just hear what your front end components deliver (regardless of the ADA in the chain).

These speakers are generating hype for a good reason, because they embarrassed other speakers at the RMAF that cost many multiples more.  I sold my Tyler Signatures that I really liked both sonically and cosmetically to buy the CS2 speakers.  My wife heard the CS2 speakers at RMAF and she supported me in my decision to buy them because they sounded so good. 

I will give a truthful review after I have the CS2 speakers and I give them some time in my system.

alan m. kafton

« Reply #72 on: 30 Nov 2007, 05:41 pm »
Are they going to be at CES or THE show in Vegas as I am going down there, and just sold my main speakers for something different, which these sound like.

Zapper......the answer is YES.  Emerald Physics will be showing with VRS Media systems, audio excellence az, and a quartet of Red Dragon amplification in room 1601 at the Alexis Park. Clayton will be on hand to answer any of your questions. And you can likely place your order through Vincent of VRS, as I believe he is representing Emerald Physics in the Nevada area. Vincent is located in Las Vegas.

alan m. kafton
audio excellence az

mgalusha

« Reply #73 on: 30 Nov 2007, 06:17 pm »

Warning, slightly off topic...

While I haven't bought the CS-2's I do use a DCX. The ADA conversion is done at 24/96, so lack of resolution shouldn't be a problem. I have measured the frequency response of my DCX via the analog inputs and it's ruler flat to about 48KHz or so, as it should be if the conversions are done at 96KHz. I plan on hooking my TT (Teres/Sccheu-Benz/Hagerman Clarinet) to the DCX this weekend and seeing just how it sounds. My DCX has the replacement input/output kit from Jan Didden, so the analog section should be considerably better than stock.

Now, back to the regular thread. :)

Mike (yes another one)

ctviggen

« Reply #74 on: 30 Nov 2007, 06:50 pm »
For those of us who have combined HT/stereo systems (and want to use a center channel), can these speakers have some type of "matching" center channel or surrounds?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #75 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:12 pm »

I've never understood the concept of a center channel. :scratch:

As for surround just buy a second pair. 8)

GregC

« Reply #76 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:17 pm »
For those of us who have combined HT/stereo systems (and want to use a center channel), can these speakers have some type of "matching" center channel or surrounds?

I also have a combined HT/stereo system where my Dodd battery powered preamp has a HT passthrough.  I will just use a Radio Shack sound meter and adjust the output level of my left and right channels through my HT Processor so it will be matched with the output of my other speakers (since the CS2 speakers are 100 DB efficient).  

I had a Tyler Linbrook system with all matching drivers for HT, so I will be giving up some driver synergy for what I hope will be improved two channel performance.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:32 pm »

Bob,

I will check with Clayton, but I haven't heard any plans on a traditional center channel.

Since the CS2's need to be out at least 3' from a wall, I think you would need to have a setup similar to my HT with an acoustically transparent screen and just run all three speakers behind the screen.

Of course, you could just skip the center channel all together.   aa

The sweet spot for the CS2's is quite large and I did much of my listening at RMAF off to the side, and right up against a wall and they still sounded damn good.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:42 pm »
I understand how people would want to save money by using their existing digital crossovers, but much of the beauty of the CS2 solution is that it is plug and play with the Behringer.  Clayton has installed preset programs for the different distances you may place the speakers from the back wall. 

As far as analog, I would not worry about these speakers since they are very revealing and transparent.  You should just hear what your front end components deliver (regardless of the ADA in the chain).

Everybody,

Greg is correct in saying that this is a turn key solution and that it should be with the Behringer DCX-2496 that is pre-programmed at the factory.  Clayton is not only performing crossover duties, but he is also doing some EQ and phase adjustments.  If you try to do this on your own, you might not get it right and it will certainly impact the performance of the speaker.

Your dealer or Clayton can discuss this topic with you in more detail as required.

George

TomS

« Reply #79 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:53 pm »

Bob,

I will check with Clayton, but I haven't heard any plans on a traditional center channel.

Since the CS2's need to be out at least 3' from a wall, I think you would need to have a setup similar to my HT with an acoustically transparent screen and just run all three speakers behind the screen.

Of course, you could just skip the center channel all together.   aa

The sweet spot for the CS2's is quite large and I did much of my listening at RMAF off to the side, and right up against a wall and they still sounded damn good.

George
Another issue is you'd have to daisy chain to another dcx to supply the added  center channel content and drive its amp(s)