phono stage PS

jules

phono stage PS
« on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:27 pm »
Hi Hugh,

how's the V8 project progressing?

The PS of the phono stage in the GK-1 appears to be +/- 21 Volt. My house power supply is solar with a massive 24V battery bank. I'm thinking it would suit my purposes better if I could mount the AKSA phono stage close to my TT. Would it work to use the battery bank 24V DC as a power supply for the phono stage?

jules

AKSA

Re: phono stage PS
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:58 pm »
Hi Jules,

No problem at all!  24V would be fine;  you will need to reduce stage current very slightly for the input pair to compensate the increase in voltage;  I forget the resistor number, will look it up for you, it's a 10K standup in the centre of the pcb which links to the two 10R emitter degen resistors of the LTP.  Move it up to 12K, no other changes....  The idea is to pull back offset to less than 5mV.

BUT, would not current draws from other appliances cause fairly massive spikes at turn-on?  We are talking 10-20A peaks here....

How many batteries do you have in your domestic power supply?  French deep cycle 2V?  Say 24 of them in series/parallel?  Takes me back to my 32V days on a country property.  I remember the fiscal pain of replacing those batteries every 5-10 years, it cost a fortune.  This is the one aspect of home power that really discourages me - and it's the same for hybrid cars.  I'm told the Prius power pack is 144 x 1.5V small batteries, giving 216V fully charged.  Cost is around $US4K for a new pack, life around 8-10 years.  It would be interesting to examine the Lexus 430 hybrid - a MUCH bigger system with reputedly 330Kw on tap.

The conversion is slow.  :oops:  I've looked at three 1991 engines, rejected them all at this stage, and am reading up avidly on the net to find all the pitfalls.  I have composed a very comprehensive 63 page document of net takes on the swap, it's extremely involved, and then it might be difficult and costly to get it through registration.  There is only 3/4" inch clearance left and right of the engine, and clearance of the steering shaft is problematic around the right bank exhaust header.  The V8 is around 80 Kgs lighter, and mounts are no problem at all.  The car as it stands is entirely rust free, beautiful condition throughout, but worth about $1K, so I have to do something reasonably quickly.  I haven't run out of Cressys yet, however, as my wife has an identical model with even lower mileage.

Still, the bike runs like a dream, so it ain't all bad......

Cheers,

Hugh

jules

Re: phono stage PS
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2007, 01:40 am »
Thanks Hugh ...

I won't be using the phono stage for a while but that does allow me to get it out of the GK-1 box and will possibly help in several ways. I can't see a 10K resistor on the board so when you have the time, the resistor number would be most useful.

My battery bank consists of 12x2V, 560amp hour monsters. The batteries are now 15 years old [some of my solar elec panels are more than 25 years old] and still going strong. I remember farm power supplies from my youth and while the batteries remain the same, the management systems and general efficiency have improved out of sight. I use a 24V DC system for lighting and a 240V AC system where it's needed. The DC/AC inverter is rated 1800W continuous and 3000W surge. I've had no problems with current draw spikes though I do have a back-up 10KVa petrol generator that occasionally gets a run.

There's some solar electric panel developments like this

http://solar.anu.edu.au/level_1/research/sliver.php

that very significantly raise the efficiency of solar panels. Origin Energy is in the process of putting these on the market and I suspect they might move the process on a bit faster now that the mood is going that way. There's nothing like a bit of pressure to stimulate good ideas and rapid development  :)

jules