Micky's custom "honey" oak SongTowers and SongCenter

texas steve

Re: Micky's custom "honey" oak SongTowers and SongCenter
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2007, 02:23 pm »
George - The screen is a 106 Daylite (grey something, dint recall the model number but its gain is 1.1) its powered and comes out of the ceiling.  The top "black" portion is sound perf so the HTC can be heard. The projector is a Optoma HD79 (720P) going through a DVDO processor with the projector ceiling mounted.    I'm in the market for a new 1080P projector, but want one with some good light power.   Note the windows beside the screen, there are electric blinds that come down all the way and block out the light when needed, but with the projector 14' from the screen I need some luminance!!   Any suggestions?

Shot you a PM rather than hijacking the thread.
George

Got it!!   Happy New Year all, and to all a "great listening" (to Salks of course!)

MickyR

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:51 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  -glad to know there are others in the Houston area who have discovered Jim's work.

That's a great setup you have.  The SongTowers and SongCenter were my first step into high end audio.  It's apparent now that I cannot stop with my investment in speakers.  My TV and DVD players are adequate for the time being, but I can see the need to upgrade my receiver/amp.  I get the feeling there is no exit strategy with this hobby (which is actually OK with me). :drool:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:10 pm »
Looking good, Steve.  I'm running the Optoma in my system--I'll be interested to hear how much improvement a 1080p upgrade makes (although I'm actually very happy with the 720p). 

texas steve

« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:22 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  -glad to know there are others in the Houston area who have discovered Jim's work.

That's a great setup you have.  The SongTowers and SongCenter were my first step into high end audio.  It's apparent now that I cannot stop with my investment in speakers.  My TV and DVD players are adequate for the time being, but I can see the need to upgrade my receiver/amp.  I get the feeling there is no exit strategy with this hobby (which is actually OK with me). :drool:

You are correct "no exit strategy" except when you wallet (ahh, bank account) goes dry.  For a amp I went with the BAT 6200, 5 channel amp http://www.balanced.com/products/amp/Vk-6200/index.html  and it sounds great with the HT3s, the the BAT will drain your wallet quick. I use Meridian for the front end processor and DVD/CD player.   Once they figure out the HD/Blue Ray controversy, Ill upgrade to 108P DVD.

Have a GREAT New Year
Texas Steve

MickyR

« Reply #24 on: 30 Dec 2007, 03:47 pm »
After your post I did some reading on the BAT.  The reviews were all very positive.  That must be an awesome piece of equipment.  With 2 kids in college it's a little beyond my reach for now.  -maybe in a couple of years, though.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 30 Dec 2007, 03:51 pm »
After your post I did some reading on the BAT.  The reviews were all very positive.  That must be an awesome piece of equipment.  With 2 kids in college it's a little beyond my reach for now.  -maybe in a couple of years, though.

If you want a very good multi-channel amp at a good price, get yourself a used ATI 1506 six channel amp.  This 100lb beast really cranks and without any harshness or grit.  Might not be the absolute last word in detail, but it is doing a great job driving my three SongTowers for the L/C/R part of my HT.

You can usually find this amp for around $900 used on Audiogon.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:55 pm »
George, are you biamping the speakers with the ATI?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:42 pm »
I use an Emotiva MPS-1.  A real beast as well:  http://www.emotiva.com/amplifiers.html

Can be found used on AV123 sometimes for around $900

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:48 pm »
George, are you biamping the speakers with the ATI?

The SongTowers don't allow for bi-amping.

Did you mean bridging two channels on the ATI?

Right now I am not doing that, but I will be trying it out at some point.

George

jam2001

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2008, 04:57 am »
A quick update on my SongTowers and Song Center:

I can't tell you how much I'm still enjoying these speakers.  Everyone that has listened to them leaves in awe.  I had a bunch of my son's college friends over here the other day watching movies and they were blown away.  (I'm listening to Jim's demo CD now.)

I saw some posts asking about the SongCenter, so I wanted to comment.  This was my first exposure to surround sound.  I needed to experiment with the setup for a while.  My thoughts are that it does a great job of isolating the vocals.   They are very clear and intelligible.  I have not had the problem that I've read about w/ some systems where the voices get drowned out by the background noise and music. 

Anyway, I'm very proud to be a SongTower owner.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!

Micky

Micky,

I just read this post and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your ST's and SongCenter.  Quick question though....If you are watching a movie like "Saving Private Ryan", can you hear the voices clearly over the explosions in the opening battle scene?  If you say "Yes", then I'm sold!

fsimms

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2008, 02:16 pm »
I have not had the problem that I've read about w/ some systems where the voices get drowned out by the background noise and music.

Voices on movies are sent to the center speaker.  To protect people who do not use a center speaker and don't go in their digital cable box or DVD player and disable the center channel outputs, they also put the voices on the main speakers at a low level.  I think most people who complain of that problem don't set their speaker configuration in their equipment.

jam2001

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2008, 02:28 pm »
Fsimms,

In my case, everything is setup as it should be (except bass is a little hot  :D).  It just my center channel is the weak link and becomes hard to hear on certain passages (Saving Private Ryan, Master & Commander, etc)

rydenfan

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:40 pm »
With a proper center channel, such as the song center, you should have no dialog issues.

MickyR

« Reply #33 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:53 am »
Jam2001, I apologize for the delay in responding to your question.  I've been consumed at work and preoccupied with a motorcycle.

I don't think I've played 'Saving Private Ryan' with the SongCenter.

However, I do not anticipate a problem.  Like the others said, if the balance on the receiver is set correctly it shouldn't be an issue. The SongCenter has handled everything I've thrown at it.