Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: Done to the Nines....
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:17 pm »
Hubba-hubba.  Great work guys!  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:21 pm »
No wonder Danny and Al approve of your work for their products.  Very pro!

I've got the RAW OB2X demo pair from Al coming my way.  I might consider having the enclosures rebuilt, preferably 1.5" MDF according to Al's revised spec.  I'd commission you to build them but I am about 4 hours away from Al.  If cost were no objection I'd love to do the low frequency enclosure in aluminum or stainless steel.

John

S Clark

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:55 pm »
It is sort of what I was planning for the LS's if I built them. The contrast of light and dark makes it, as well as the fine workmanship of course. I like contrast. This wasn't the direction that I had planned for mine, but it is now.

What wood is that? Looks nice. What finish is on them? ????

And since I am asking questions, did you use a hardwood on the corners? If the corners are MDF, any advice to make edge grain not show? --not asking for any "trade secrets" but I am curious about this also.  If I copy this, can I get that piano look with just a sealer? What about a thin film of bondo? Or do we need to use hardwood?

Wish those were my pair, but the pockets are not deep enough. As a career teacher, I share your plight- but if we make our own cabinets successfully what a source of pride!

Thanks,

Rocket_inspired_Ronny

Ronnie's questions mirror my own.  I will be starting my cabinets soon and could use a bit of advice.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:12 pm »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:02 pm »
What is the price for a pair of those with that beauutifuuul finish?.

Further details will be relased December 1st.

I like the look with the balck on the front and back

Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they! :drool:
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2007, 01:53 pm by Response Audio »

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2007, 12:58 am »
Those look really sweet D, great work!

NealH

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2007, 02:15 am »
Add my name to the list of admirers.  The workmanship really looks good. 

markC

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2007, 02:27 am »
Wow Denny, You've outdone yourself this time!
What about that listening session for your TAAS pal's?

RAW

« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:00 am »
Nice looking Denny another mark on the wall :banana piano:

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:11 am »

Not bad. I see a little orange peel in the finish, but other than that... :green:

Gorgeous! Great job, Denny!

se

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:19 am »
Steve, that was really funny. You made me laugh out loud on that one.  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 13 Nov 2007, 04:05 am »

Nice, nice, very nice Denny !!!! :o :drool:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2007, 04:28 am »
Wow!  :drool:

Anand.

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2007, 04:45 am »
Steve, that was really funny. You made me laugh out loud on that one.  :lol:

Thanks, Danny. Glad you enjoyed it. The only thing better would have been if you'd have been gulping down a carbonated beverage at the time. :green:

se

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:05 am »
SE,

Now that would have been complete unadulterated hysteria, especially if it had been an orange soda :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:05 am »
I must be dense, as it took me several hours to figure that one out... :lol: nonetheless great job Denny :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2007, 01:59 pm »
Wow  :drool: Those are NICE!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2007, 04:53 pm »
Greetings,
 I just wanted to clear a few things up in regard to some previous mentions within this thread. First and formost, we have not redesigned Danny's crossover topology or design. After all, nobody knows the desig better than Danny. Why mess with perfection. The wording may have been a bad choice but no ill intentions were meant. We want everyone to know this is a Danny Richie design. When mention was made in regard to "voicing" of the loudspeaker, this was done in various ways.

The main voicing of the crossover was accomplished by choosing various components to be used in the assembly of the crossover, as Danny designed it, to achieve the sonic signature we were after. We have been working on this for some time now. Of corse everything is point to point wired for the shortest possible signal path. We do not use any traces to make connections. Another feature is the user friendly Bass Management. This is accomplished by switching which can be done while the system is playing to be better able to integrate the loudspeaker into the listening room. There are 11 different positions that help control the bass in the 40Hz to 80Hz regions. More on that later.

Another method used was in the cabinet construction itself. While we did not stray from the preliminary specifications and/or volume of the design, we chose to go with a thicker, more rigid construction as well as a few internal features. Goimg with the denser cabinet also provides more control over system resonance. We then decided to take the crossover out of the cabinet to help reduce any potential vibration from entering the components and making their way into the music due to the amount of energy these speakers are capable of. The connection between the external crossovers is made via custom umbilical cords that utilize the same wiring as used internally within the speakers. There is a separate cord used for each the upper and lower frequency drivers as can be seen in the photo on the first page of this thread. Connection is made using locking Speak-On connectors. Again, more detailed information is forthcoming.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 11:26 pm by Response Audio »

cujobob

« Reply #38 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:34 am »
Those look amazing!  I've ordered piano black LS-6 and if they look as good as the black does in those, I'll be really impressed.
You did an incredible job!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:51 pm »
Couple more pics.

Cheers