head gaskets and improving upon toyota...

EchiDna

head gaskets and improving upon toyota...
« on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:48 am »
Hey Hugh,
Long time since I posted...

been reading about your toymota's tendancy to blow head gaskets  :cry:

maybe you should hassle seano for a cheap range rover and get a rover v8 in the driveway :P

AKSA

Re: head gaskets and improving upon toyota...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2007, 10:35 am »
Ah, yes, Glen,

My Cressy keeps losing its head.  I left a trail of automotive blood coming home from the Airport after RMAF in Denver.  It was a delight to see my wife, rather less of a pleasure to contend with the second busted head gasket in six months....... :icon_twisted:

I have been calmly examining Lexus V8s.  Altogether superior motors to the ancient Olds V8 used for so long in those quaint British contrivances.  They are plentiful here, and I've done a lot of homework and they actually fit.  I have a good friend has done one, and hope to have it finished by February next year.

Should be quite a hoot.  The engineers don't even require better brakes, as the Lexus alloy engine is 55 Kg lighter than the heavy iron six.  Insurance is around the same price.  And fuel economy is almost identical, driven quietly........

We certainly look foward to driving a sleeper.  I do like the idea!!   :drool:

WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO MELBOURNE NEXT.  YOU OWE ME A GAZILLION LATTES, DAMMIT!!

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2007, 11:20 am »
quaint English contrivance! :o

oh well I'll have to make do with my 1988 land rover 110 with the aussie army spec Isuzu 4BD1T powering it :)
only 380k kms on the clock and yet to be opened up - its said that the motor can last well over 1,000,000 kms in light truck usage so I've got a couple of lifetimes of use left in it yet at the current rate of running! it aint a sleeper either, it's completely asleep  :duh:

I can see a replacement transmission in your future if you aren't careful with a v8 in the cressida! and you will be adding a lot of electrickery into it too...  :scratch:

latte... don't get me started  :evil: they are improving here, but the starbucks mob seem to think they have a mortgage on global coffee here these days which hurts the little guys doing good coffee... will certainly try to catch up with you given a chance!

Seano - haven't seen you on AULRO for a while now, what's goin on with your Rangie project?

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 01:15 am »
Glen,

I hold Landrovers in some esteem as I learned to drive in one back in the fifties!!  (Yes, I'm that bloody old...... :scratch:)

The Isuzu motor enjoys an almost supernatural reputation.  Full confidence there!!

The Lexus V8 uses the A340LE four speed/lockup Toyota transmission, the 7MGE six uses the A340E, which is almost identical and the same physical size inside and out.  It fits fine!!

Ah, StarBucks!  How could I forget?  Even good coffee beans brewed for some hours tastes a little, um, different.....

The electrotrickery is not easy, granted, but the V8 comes with ECU, full loom, integrated TCU, and the only external wires are starter, alternator, cruise control, ABS and fan control.   It won't be easy, but with measured care it is quite possible to negotiate with some help from the forums.

Cheers,

Hugh

Sparkie

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 02:43 am »
Hi all coffee addicts.

In Melbourne there is an Italian restaurant strip, Lygon Street where you can find the best Italian coffee with a reputation going back over fifty years. If you go to the chain coffee joints for a quiet sip of coffee you will inevitably dash back to Lygon St to clear the pallet.

Cheers,

Barry.

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2007, 02:39 pm »
pellegrini's at the top of Bourke St for mine :) went there for the first time at about 8 with my mum on the way to her majesty's around the corner... pretty much where I learnt my love of music - watching gilbert and sullivan etc etc at a young age.

but then again, there are 500 cafes in Melbourne I'd gladly drive to for the coffee... and probably 5000 more I'd happily ignore.

geez Hugh a 50 year old land rover series 1 (or early series 2?) - now that would be travelling in style... not quick, but stylish :)

your cressida will be something to see once the conversion is done! sounds like it will be causing some glum faces in the traffic light grand prix around rosanna way!  :lol: :lol:

Seano

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:50 pm »
Hello Mr Monotreme

I haven't been on the AULRO site for a bit because there is little happening....both audio wise and vehicular wise.

The Rangie remains parked....but the plans and dreams remain (dreaming of cheap petrol isn't helping!).  Same goes for the HiFi.  I have a hankering for a LifeForce and a plan for a major piece of integrated audio furniture in the form of a 21st century radiogram where Aspen product is the prime motivator....but all must wait.

Until I have a back door.... :oops:

Since July, we have been participants in the Australian sport of house renovation and it has taken over our world. As with audio, we have approached this sport from a DIY perspective - but without an analogue of the Hugh Dean Safety Net. So I expect that much of the free time in next twelve months will be taken up with saws, hammers and screws.  Want to watch? http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/blog.php?u=12860

EchiDna

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:26 am »
 :o

Seano... that makes THREE fora (plural of forums?) we share in common!

:roll:

looks like the reno is goin to keep you busy for quite a while yet...

Seano

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm »
 :lol:.......... :?..........are you following me?  :nono: