Well, I just bought a Nikon F3...

JohnR

Well, I just bought a Nikon F3...
« on: 8 Nov 2007, 12:45 pm »
I mean, how bad can it be? ;)

drphoto

Re: Well, I just bought a Nikon F3...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:31 pm »
John, when you load this camera, be sure the film is really winding on the takeup spindle. Check that the rewind crank is turning when you use the advance lever. There is a tendency for the film leader to pop out of the slot at first.

They solved this on the F4, as it had auto load.

Whitese

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:36 pm »
Niiiice..my fav camera....!!! enjoy!

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:52 pm »
What's that strange material that they used to use for camera bodies?

Why.. it almost looks like some form of metal!!

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2007, 06:47 pm »
Its parents will be so glad that he passed!

Knobs - that's what I miss on cameras.  To be able to change ISO, shutter, aperture, exposure compensation and shooting mode all without dicking around with a screen menu or holding down one button and moving a dial. Bleech.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:03 am »
But there are not too many knobs :) Like, no knobs with pictures of mountains and tulips here! I'm quite curious to find out what the "professional" line of Nikons offers vs the "amateur" line such as my FE-2. One thing I do know is that there are a million interchangeable focusing screens. I'd like to get the waist-level finder for this guy as well, that just seems like fun. Anyway, I haven't received the camera yet...!

drphoto, thanks for the tip! I always check out a new camera with a roll of color negs which is easy (and cheap) to dev/print.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:11 pm »
You mean that camera can't take a picture of a mountain or a flower!?  Bummer, man!  I'd send it back if I were you.  Plus that LCD screen on the back looks really dark and small!

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:45 pm »
Hey John, I didn't mean there could be something wrong w/ the camera. You'll want to make sure the film is winding every time you use it. See the film winds 'backwards' on the spindle, and the tension on the leader with cause it to pop out of the slot every so often. I shot a bunch of 'pictures' on a job one time until I realized the film was not going through the camera. Luckily I was able to redo everything.

A waist level is nice if you like to shoot w/ the camera really low. In a pinch you can just pop off the pentaprism and look directly at the focus screen. Grid screens are really nice to have.

I think the FM/FE's allowed screens to be changed, but they didn't have removable pentaprisms. The F3 motor was a lot faster than the winders for those cameras.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2007, 11:40 pm »
Ah... I see what you mean.

I'm going to start searching for a few bits and bobs once I get the body (next week, I hope!). I'm pretty sure one thing I won't be getting is an "action finder" -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170165472346

denjo

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2007, 01:55 am »
JohnR

The Nikon F3 is a legend and handles beautifully! If you can find one on the cheap, try a High Point finder, which will improve TLL image clarity and make composition much easier. I own the F4 but have always wanted to own the F3 HP Titanium. I also own a mint F2 with AS Finder (black) and a Nikon F (without finder!). My son recently bought a D-80 but somehow the handling of the Nikon "tanks" gives an assuring feeling that it will still be in use for many more years to come .... I only hope analog films and slides will continue to be produced!

Best Regards
Dennis

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2007, 01:02 pm »
Film will be around, those ultra-large format guys will keep it alive I reckon ;)

Hey Dennis, here's an F2 for ya!

Link to the cameraquest site: http://cameraquest.com/nf2high.htm

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2007, 01:34 pm »
Hi JohnR

My goodness me! Is that the price? Cost more than a decent hifi system. Thanks for the link.

Best Regards
Dennis

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm »
Yeow!  It might be cheaper to get a 35mm movie camera, with a motor drive that shoots at 24 frames per second! :P

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:14 am »
Now that, actually, is a very good point...  :scratch:

Anyway, my f3 should be here real soon now. Go auspost go...

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:17 am »
Hey!

John, congratulation on you new "old" F3 :D

A very nice camera. My photo boss got one since it fist came out... in 1980 I think. And it was his 35mm work horse camera. He still have it but not using it that much now since most jobs now are done digitally.

That F3 will likely outlast any DSLRs made today. :wink: Not long ago I bought myself a Minolta SRT-101 from 1966-7 and it is still work wells. Amazing. :cool:

Not to mention these old cameras like these are tough... if a thug going to mug you just hit him in the head with that camera to knock him down and I bet you that you could still cock the camera and take the picture of the mugger after! :lol:

Anyway, have fun. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:27 am »
Hi Buddy

I once owned the Minolta SRT-101 and share your view that it was a great camera! I loved the matching meter reader through the viewfinder! Alas, I sold it after a secondhand dealer "tricked" me into selling the camera!! I also owned the Minolta X-700 but still preferred the SRT-101 by a wide margin!!

Best Regards
Dennis

drphoto

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:23 am »
Not to rain on the parade of old Nikon (or Minolta) fans, but if I was gonna get nostalgic for 35mm film cameras, I'd have to go for a Leica M6.

denjo

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:29 am »
but if I was gonna get nostalgic for 35mm film cameras, I'd have to go for a Leica M6.

drphoto,

Man please don't get me started! The M6 is delicious but my fav Leica is the M3 and M4-2 (Cartier Bresson's workhorse! You know, the photographer who coined the phrase "the decisive moment" and took a photo of someone jumping over a puddle right at that precise moment, suspended midway in air!)

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, the M6 has about the quietest shutter. That was how a paparazzi was able to film the late Princess D doing a gym workout!!

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2007, 10:23 am »
Ah fooey, Leica Schmeica... where's my banker when I need to sign a second mortgage...

Anyway my Nikon F3 is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up embrace it with open arms tomorrow.

(All in good fun ;) )
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 10:40 am by JohnR »

navi

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:02 pm »
35mm FILM???!!! I think I sold my camera along with my laser disc player