Denon DVD-2900 vibrates~~~~~

akanrg

Denon DVD-2900 vibrates~~~~~
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 10:55 am »
Calling on all Denon DVD-2900 owners/past owners.

I picked up one of those units yesterday and much to my surprise the player vibrates during SACD and DVD playback. The vibrations do not occur during regular CD's playback. Has anyone else experienced vibrations on their machins? Is there a solution to this problem? The player is in mint condition otherwise.
Any advise or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
_A

mgalusha

Re: Denon DVD-2900 vibrates~~~~~
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 05:01 pm »
Hmm, I've had one for years and it doesn't vibrate at all. Is this on every disk (SACD/DVD)? Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it. If you're brave you can check for something that appears loose but exercise care.

akanrg

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2007, 07:51 pm »
I bought the player as a consignment piece from an established audio store so I'm not that worried about money loss. However, after only 2 days with it I'm really enjoying this unit and I'm hoping that nothing is seriously wrong with it.

It does it on all SACD's & DVD's but after further investigation I noticed the viabrations stop when the player warms up. I sent off an email to Denon, Canada and I'm waiting to hear what they have to say (if they have anything to say at all)

Anyway, thanks for replying.

btw, have you had yours modified? I noticed a lot of shops offering modifications for this player and I wonder if it's worth it. As it stands, I'm particularly impressed with it's redbook cds sound and superb picture.

dhrab

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2007, 11:45 pm »
If my memory serves my correctly ... I remember reading some threads on Audiogon about the Denon 2900 and vibration issues.

Search the archives over there  and see if you find any earlier posts and if you don't ... post in the forum ...

But I don't think I'm imaging it.

Guess I wasn't ... Just search under Denon ... plenty to read

Good Luck, Dave

05-03-07: averylittlecow@yahoo.com.au
I have my denon 2900 for the past 6.5 years, it never fails me. Compare with 2910, 2900 has better and sharper picture, I also use it listen to music with my power amp rotel 1090 and my favourite speakers b&w 802. Crystal clear!!! 2900 is my daily use and 2910 as spare. 2900 looks solid and built like tank, can be used for show off. The only downside is - shakes. Put a glass of water beside this machine, you know what I mean.
Averylittlecow
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1136579215&read&keyw&zzdenon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1136579215&read&keyw&zzdenon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2007, 01:42 am »
You should use damping sheets around the cover (Black Hole Pads are good one) to prevent the vibration. Many of Denon 2900 owners have this problem and they use different damping stuffs.

Fab4sum

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2007, 05:12 am »
That is strange. I've had mine for years...since it first came out. Once in awhile the tray sticks....just give it a little tap and it opens right up. No other problems and I play it daily.

I've read a little about the mods...sounds interesting. Good luck finding a fix for the vibration.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2007, 02:48 pm »
Mine has the Parts Connexion mods, it had them when I bought it. I did some additional mods regarding the power supply and output sections. It does sound quite good but not as good as my modded Squeezebox. Then again my SB won't play all the SACD's that I have, so I use both.

akanrg

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:30 pm »
I contacted Parts Connexion regarding the mods and level 1 costs $895 + $360 for DEXA D-Clock Master Clock upgrade. This is some serious coin (for me). Is it worth it? Would you say there's $1255 worth of sound improvement?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

tanchiro58

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm »
Is it worth it? Would you say there's $1255 worth of sound improvement?

In this case if I were you I would not spend that much money to mod since you might not like the sound you prefer to your taste so what are you going to do? I would not waste time and money like that for sure. I had to do the modification of the Denon 2900 myself based on the ideas of some owners in different forums like diyaudio and audioasylum. I am very satisfied with the sound after modifying but since my friend introduced to me the world of Squeezebox 3 (mine is a modified one) and a custom built power supply connected to an external NOS DAC (cost under 1K) since then I would not look back to any CD player. I had a chance to listen to my other friend's system consists of Esoteric CD player (the most recent model ) and all other quite expensive audio components (30K-50K). To be honest his system could not beat my under 3K system.  :D
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2007, 09:38 pm by tanchiro58 »

akanrg

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »
You do make a lot of sense. I've never heard of Squeezebox 3 and what's a NOS DAC?
Get back, I'm very interested to know.

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2007, 09:58 pm »
I contacted Parts Connexion regarding the mods and level 1 costs $895 + $360 for DEXA D-Clock Master Clock upgrade. This is some serious coin (for me). Is it worth it? Would you say there's $1255 worth of sound improvement?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Mine had the mods when I bought it, I paid 1K for it about 3 years ago and at the time I was very satisfied with the result. However, unless I'm playing SACD's (not very often) it only gets used for movies. I use the Squeezebox for all other listening. There are a lot of threads on them on AC and BOLDER Cable does a lot of the modification work. Red Wine Audio used to do this as well but I don't think Vinnie is still offering mods to the Squeezeboxes but I could be wrong. Both of them have circles on the site, so you can read about until you fall asleep.. :) There are also discussions about them in the Lab circle.

Currently there is no way I would spend the $$ to modify a CDP as the sound from a modified SB is very very good.

Mike

tanchiro58

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2007, 10:04 pm »
I've never heard of Squeezebox 3 and what's a NOS DAC?

If you are interested here are the websites:

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/dac.htm
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27438.0

First of all do your research then PM me or you could ask other SB3 owners in your favor about the setup. I would give you an idea for the first time is a little bit complicated but then you will have a nice setup with a much better sources of music for your taste.  :thumb: