I Am Legend

PeteG

I Am Legend
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:41 am »
Seen this trailer tonight looks killer, stars Will Smith. kinda reminds me of "Omega Man" (I think thats the name of it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX773fMkS90

jimdgoulding

Re: I Am Legend
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2007, 04:49 am »
Omega Man.  Yeah, you gotta admire Charlton Heston's character.  Took what he needs.  Lives luxiously in a town house.  Independent.  A man's man.  A saner man would probably have headed for the country long ago.  But, then we would'na had a movie, huh? 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2007, 05:43 am »
Good trailer here.... http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/

Main theme music sounds good.... 8)

Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable, and man-made. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and maybe the world. For three years, Neville has faithfully sent out daily radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But he is not alone. Mutant victims of the plague -- The Infected -- lurk in the shadows... watching Neville's every move... waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered... and quickly running out of time.

The "Omega Man" trailer.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MosmUseSY
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2007, 06:04 am by lonewolfny42 »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2007, 07:50 am »
Wolf-  You positively slay me!

riffer

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2007, 02:44 pm »
Seen this trailer tonight looks killer, stars Will Smith. kinda reminds me of "Omega Man" (I think thats the name of it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX773fMkS90

"I am legend" is a short story by Richard Matheson.

There have been at least two movie treatments I know of "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price and "The Omega Man" as mentioned above.

Much like Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" which spawned a host of "human bodies being taken over by aliens" themed movies, "I am legend" acts as the prototypical story for all the "man survives apocalypse" stories.

BTW, the Vincent Price is much better than the Omega Man.  Much truer to the original story.  I doubt the Will Smith will come close.  There is a critical plot twist at the end of the story that The Omega man didn't even take a shot at, and Price blew by being overly melodramatic, as is his way.  This plot twist makes the story and is the reason it is so highly regarded.  I suggest interested persons read the book.

jakepunk

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2007, 03:53 am »
I thought the movie was OK.  There are some logic problems (how do the zombies get super strength?  why don't the zombies feed off of each other?) but it wasn't a bad movie.

This is the second movie I have seen lately -- the other being The Golden Compass -- where I have been very impressed with the special effects.  CGI is getting to the point where the texturing and physics no longer look phony and you ignore the fact that it's CGI. 

A mild thumb up.

AliG

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2007, 04:05 am »
Saw the movies yesterday, I was hoping for better ending... :roll: :roll:

Cacophonix

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2007, 04:10 am »
Saw this movie last weekend and liked it quite a bit.

Will Smith has done a great job ... I haven't read the original short story, so i didn't know what exactly to expect. I liked the ending as well, though the faith angle made me roll my eyes. :roll:

Toka

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:36 pm »
Just got back from this...like too many films lately it is about 70-80% of the way there, but too may cop-outs ultimately file this one in the "good but not great" category. Too cartoonish as well. No need for all the CGI monsters, it made them look silly. But, all in all, I'll give it a thumbs up, albeit delivered whilst yawning and flipping the channel with the other hand.

Turnandcough

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:59 pm »
I don't know why but for some reason I really have to stretch my imagination to be able to get into a "serious" movie starring Will "Fresh Prince of Belair" Smith. Star power is OK to sell tickets at the box office but I think in some cases unknown actors would add more credibility to the characters.
I remember the first time I saw Ben Kingsley in a movie.  In my mind I was actually seeing Gandhi as opposed to some big name($$$) Hollywood star portraying Gandhi. 

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:14 am »
The ending was the worst I've seen in a long time.  Why didn't he just p**l the p*n on the gr****e and h**e ?

I've only read about 1/2 the book before I gave up.  In the book, I think the zombie/vampires do feed on themselves, but prefer fresh.  I don't know if they are particularly stronger than normal humans not caring about injuries or reserves etc.

The ending killed it for me.  Otherwise, it was a solid B movie.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2007, 05:12 am »
The beyond human capability strength was a bit too weird. Why did the dogs not rip Sam to pieces? Yeah that part was a bit flawed. If you have seen a free runner you can imagine that someone with a virus that made their body extremely fit, and had no limitation on pain, could do some amazing stuff, but not like what was seen in this movie. The human body is just not built for it. Short of that I like that the infected seemed to have some sort of community, that was very intriguing. I like that it ended in Vermont but I felt the wall looked unsatisfactory and forget if the compound looked big enough to be manufacturing the cure.

This movie was hard to watch at a few points, quiet sad.

MarkR7

Re: I Am Legend....NOT!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2007, 05:42 am »
Can't recommend "Legend"... Saw it last weekend at the Imax, and I was getting motion sickness from all the camera shaking in various scenes.  "Castaway" meets "Dawn of the Dead".  Lost my interest pretty early into the movie.  There's a couple of hours I won't get back! There are better choices.

Bigfish

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2007, 01:32 am »
My son and I went to see the movie this afternoon.  I highly recommend anyone considering making the trip to the theater to save your money and wait for the DVD.  On line people who saw the movie rated it at 7.5 stars out of 10.  At most I would give it 5 stars and my son rated it as a total waste of time.

Ken

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2007, 02:32 am »
I just don't think I can handle Will Smith in a "Castaway" style beginning, so I'll wait for the video on BR or whatever. I love the concept and the book is a good read for spare time.

Mark

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2007, 02:48 am »
Another Hollywood dreck without a single original idea. 

Danberg

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:20 am »
"Castaway" was much better, a bit more novel.  T. Hanks did a better job a acting.  Too many plot holes in 'I am Legend".  I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.  The ending was completely lame!

kbuzz3

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:50 pm »
we walked out yesterday ....and went to see something else.  Thoughts: the part that i saw was at least better then anything about castaway. tom hanks being the most boring and overrated modern actor. whats nextt for hanks after he has solved christianity, saved the space agency, won WW II singlehandedly-twice, eliminated prejudice about aids, humanized capitial punishment?

Ohh i got it, hes going to solve the problems in the middle east after thousands of years of strife. Oh wait, isnt that his new movie-with a slight left turn towards afganistan

secondly, can you say "chuck heston"

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2007, 05:00 pm »
I have to agree with kbuzz3 here, castaway did nothing for me except allowed me the time for an extended nap

Chuck Heston -  :thumb:

Planet of the apes
Soylent Green
Omega man

Three of my Favorites in the sci-fi field i could name another half a dozen films of his out of that realm but  i will stick to sci-fi for now

we walked out yesterday ....and went to see something else.  Thoughts: at least it was better then castaway. tom hanks being the most boring and overrated modern actor.

secondly, can you say "chuck heston"

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2007, 08:23 pm »
I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't think this was horrible.  Lots of holes in the story, but I went in with the mindset that this was going to be a popcorn action film, and on that level, I found it enjoyable.