Modded SB's, Burson Buffers, input impedances of pre's & amps ...

Rob S.

I have to Ditto everything DSK said here.  I just received my burson buffer here a few days ago.   Within minutes and the unit still "cold", it was evident there was a difference in the sound, and for the better.

Now after 50hrs + of run time, I can say it has improved every area to the sound.  I'm running SB3 analog mod by Wayne w/ Ultimate PSIV  to Odyssey candela preamp  to mono extremes se  to magnepan speakers.

In time I'll see what the sound does when the tube preamp is removed and I"m running SB3 to BB  to amps.

So far, I agree this is a no brainer for less than $400 US.

Rob S.

TomS

Wait 'til you try swapping some power cords on it  :)  I have Black Sand Silver Ref V on mine and love it.  Tom

ctviggen

...i had my SB modded with wayne's standard analog mod and i am very happy with the sound but lowering the output to 1.1v has really crippled the db output on my system (which
according to wayne is a direct result of the output of the modded SB and the amount of watts being pushed by my amps has little to do with it). i have also ordered a burson buffer and am hoping the stock unit will bump up the output sufficiently. i think this IS something that most prospective customers should be aware of. the volume loss in my system is severe enough that i can't see living with it the way it is now. i will reply when i get the buffer and let you all know how it works out.
This is actually the opposite to what I experienced. With my Bolder analog modded SB2 hooked up directly to my amp, I could only use between 8 and 16 (maximum is 40) on the SB2 volume control before it was too loud. This was in a large-ish room (19' x 24' x  9' with one corner open to a long hallway and the floor above) and my speakers weren't especially sensitive.

Re-inserting my pre-amp between SB2 and amp not only significantly improved dynamics, drive, bass, musicality etc etc, but with the pre-amp's super transparent volume control set at 12 o'clock (removing most of the attenuator from the signal path) enabled me to get the SB2 volume control up very close to the maximum (effectively removing it from the signal path) and retain the remote volume control.  This was despite the pre-amp's added gain (only ~4dB).

So, I actually don't want the 6dB added gain of the Burson Buffer but hope that any improvements it provides in dynamics, bass, etc etc will outweigh any slight loss of transparency caused by having to set the pre-amp volume control at a lower setting, as well as from adding another component and set of interconnects into the signal path.

Only by trying a BB in my system will I know for sure.  :wink:

This is totally different than what I experienced.  With my preamp in the system, I had to crank the preamp to near 0 db (mine goes from minus 90 or so dB to 0dB and then to plus dB) for normal listening volumes with a modded SB.  Because of this, I'm definitely buying a burson buffer (modded by Wayne), although I might not do so until my room is ready. 

What's the gain of your amp and your speaker efficiency?  If you have high gain and high efficiency, you might not need the gain of the buffer.

DSK

Wait 'til you try swapping some power cords on it  :)  I have Black Sand Silver Ref V on mine and love it.  Tom

Funny you should mention that .... at the moment the BB is just using a supermarket type 14/3 cable directly into the wall (dedicated lines).

On the rest of my equipment (except subwoofer), I use Signal Cable MagicPower cords from dedicated line outlet to PSA Duet, then Eichmann AC Power Enhancer cords from Duet to components. After a few more listening sessions I'll try a nice power cable (with US plug) and run the BB through the Duet. Doing this made audible improvements to all other components.

DSK

This is totally different than what I experienced.  With my preamp in the system, I had to crank the preamp to near 0 db (mine goes from minus 90 or so dB to 0dB and then to plus dB) for normal listening volumes with a modded SB.  Because of this, I'm definitely buying a burson buffer (modded by Wayne), although I might not do so until my room is ready. 

What's the gain of your amp and your speaker efficiency?  If you have high gain and high efficiency, you might not need the gain of the buffer.
Amp gain is 32dB, speaker efficiency is 84dB, pre-amp gain is ~4dB, Buffer is 6dB.

So, the amp gain is high-ish but not especially so, the pre-amp gain is very low (way lower than my former BAT), and speakers are rather low efficiency.

Bigfish

Tom:

I have a Black Sand Ref V that I purchased used and was saving for the Ultimate Power Supply.  It sounds like I need to try connecting it to the Burson Buffer.  Man, I see it now, I will be searching for another Black Sand PC.

DSK:

I am glad to learn you heard the same type of improvement that I experienced with the Burson Buffer.  I have recommended it to several people and I believe it the best upgrade I have added to my system.  It is truly a no brainer investment!

Ken

Wayne1

I'm really glad all of you are enjoying the Burson Buffer with the analog modded SB.

It completes the "modular" approach to the modded SB. When I started out modding the SB, I wanted to be able to offer mods in tiers.

Not everyone is able to jump in and drop a few grand on mods to achieve the very high quality that HD audio can deliver.

I have tried to offer steps so anyone can slowly (or quickly) upgrade the SB system to the top rung on the ladder.

I also actively try to improve each tier.

The search for something like the Burson Buffer began after last years RMAF. It finally sunk in that the modded SB did need a bit more gain. I also realized that the mod was not completely compatible with every amp and speaker system in the world.  :duh:

I tried building my own tube buffer. That was a big mistake. I tried some other tube buffers. They added gain but there were compromises in sound quality.

I finally stumbled upon the Burson product. It added gain AND improved the sound of the SB without any downsides. I contacted Burson and received some Buffer boards and PS boards. I spent a fair amount of money getting some custom power transformers built. I also tried out a different chassis.

I have come up with some improvements to the standard Burson Buffer and I implemented all of these things in one prototype unit. I sent it out to George (Zybar) and now I can't get him to give it up. (actually I just got it back from him on the pretext of additional improvements, See how long it takes for it to get back to Mass  :icon_twisted: )

As much as the stock Burson improves the sound of the modded SB, the mods I offer for the Burson Buffer improve it at least that much again. Hopefully, at some point ScottF will write up a review on the modded Burson Buffer. He has had it for a few months. The GAS crew were able to hear a direct comparison between a stock Burson and the modded unit. I think it took about 30 seconds before I was told to put the modded one back in the system.

Power cables AND their connectors do make a fair amount of difference with the Burson. I have been working on a power cable that I think should compete closely with the Black Sand. I was honored to hear one at RMAF when Bill O'Connel brought his. I have heard a "better" cable, but at $3,000.00 it is not for everyone  :lol:

For those of you near Denver, I highly suggest you try to make it to Mike (TweekGeek) Garner's open house on the 17th of this month.
Mike will be using the BOLDER/Bent/Burson Buffer prototype in one of his systems. I should also have a prototype of a BOLDER buffer there for comparison.

The Burson Buffer is a "no brainer" upgrade for anyone who owns an analog modded SB. I believe the mods I offer for the Burson improve this upgrade, even more. This falls in line with my idea of a tiered upgrade path.

Have a great weekend!

GO MIZZOU TIGERS!  :thumb:

Bigfish

Wayne:

I just posted over on AN that I am on the wagon for any tweeks, tubes or ICs until I am able to purchase the new Ultimate Power Supply.  Then it will be the mods to the buffer!!!  The wish/want list just keeps getting longer and longer.  :duh: :lol:

Ken

Wayne1

Ken et al,

The Ultimate Nirvana PS will also be at Mike's for comparison to my prototype Ultimate MK IV with Bybees.

Chase Daniel should be the front runner for the Heisman :green:

DSK

Wayne, as an 'optional extra' to your Burson Buffer mods, what about the idea of installing a high quality 3-way switch to control the gain level?

High - would be a bypass and provide the Buffer's normal 6dB gain
Med - would run through high quality resistor (S102 ?) to offer 3dB gain
Low - would also run through high quality resistor to provide 0dB (unity) gain

This would offer flexibility to the Buffer owner when they change components in their system, thereby altering the total system gain and the optimal gain requirement from the Buffer.

Would reducing the Buffer's gain (in system's that already have plenty) have any negative effect on the positive things we are hearing from the Buffer?

TomS

...or maybe to go 0, +6, +9, or +12db

DSK

...or maybe to go 0, +6, +9, or +12db

Given that my modded SB2 has low gain, my pre-amp has very low gain (~4dB), my amp is a fairly regular 32dB gain and my speakers are low sensitivity 84dB, I am puzzled as to why I need less gain than others here.

Even if you guys are running 26dB gain amps, your pre-amps are likely much higher gain than mine and your speakers are probably higher sensitivity, so .... ????

I think 0dB to 6db gain may be too big a jump to get the optimal level in some systems, so perhaps Wayne could offer slightly different versions of this gain switch by just inserting different value resistors ....
Low gain - 0dB, 3dB, 6dB
Med gain - 3dB, 6dB, 9dB
High gain - 6dB, 9dB, 12dB.

Bigfish

I just switched from a standard power cord to a Black Sand Silver on the Burson Buffer.  Wow!   :thumb:

Ken

DSK

I just switched from a standard power cord to a Black Sand Silver on the Burson Buffer.  Wow!   :thumb:

Ken

Not having heard a BS Silver, but based on what I have read, I'm guessing you heard a little more transparency and immediacy???

Bigfish

Ken

Not having heard a BS Silver, but based on what I have read, I'm guessing you heard a little more transparency and immediacy???

DSK

My speakers are the SP Tech. Timepiece 2.1s and they are so revealing of upstream component changes it is almost scary.  I am sitting here mentally hitting myself in the head for not installing the Black Sand PC onto the Buffer sooner (it has been upstairs in a box waiting for the day I pull the trigger on Wayne's Power Supply).  With the Black Sand connected to the Buffer the music is somehow more enhanced, more detailed and even more pleasing.  If you have an aftermarket PC try it and see what you hear.  I have the Black Sands connected to the Mono SEs, Candela and now to the Buffer.  A couple of weeks ago I switched to the standard cords on the amps just to see what would happen to the sound quality.  Three songs and the Black Sands were back in and they are there to stay.  I have to end this by saying I can hardly wait to plug Wayne's Best Power Supply into this system. 

Ken