DEQX - What's happening?

webnick

DEQX - What's happening?
« on: 26 Oct 2007, 01:57 am »
What's the latest news on the 2.6P?  Topics with user groups and the company's website news all seem to end in 2006 and early 2007.  Is the 2.6P still considered the best DSP-in-one-box product?  DEQX still a viable company? 

Double Ugly

Re: DEQX - What's happening?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:32 am »
Great questions. 

I know plenty who loved its potential (yours truly included), others who loved it as is, and a few who who were quite happy with it after applying a few modifications.

The concept is unquestionably viable IMHO, not unlike the idea of HDD-based audio becoming more mainstream just a few short years ago.  The hoopla surrounding the Emerald Physics showing a couple of weeks ago is proof positive that digital correction done right is a major hit waiting to happen.

Even at this moment, surely the next big thing is being developed deep within the confines of the DEQX Skunk Works... right?  :?

jsalk

• Industry Contributor
    • Salk Signature Sound
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:24 am »
The 2.6 is no more.  Watch for future announcements of a successor (which will carry a higher price tag).

- Jim

webnick

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:44 am »
The 2.6 is no more.  Watch for future announcements of a successor (which will carry a higher price tag).

- Jim

Jim, do you have something more than a hunch on this?  And as for a successor, you're not thinking about the PDC-3 are you?  'Cause that's an entirely different animal from what I've been able find in the preliminary write ups.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2007, 06:49 am »
What's the latest news on the 2.6P?  Topics with user groups and the company's website news all seem to end in 2006 and early 2007.  Is the 2.6P still considered the best DSP-in-one-box product?  DEQX still a viable company? 

I still like it best  :thumb:

jsalk

• Industry Contributor
    • Salk Signature Sound
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:09 am »
Jim, do you have something more than a hunch on this?  And as for a successor, you're not thinking about the PDC-3 are you?  'Cause that's an entirely different animal from what I've been able find in the preliminary write ups.

My apologies.  It was the digital/balanced output that is no longer available, not the PDC-2.6.  I emailed DEQX requesting a cost for a 2.6 with this option and they replied  that it was no longer available.  The remainder of the email talked about the PDC-3 (which I had not asked about).  I read the email too fast and thought they were saying the 2.6 was no longer available.  I just re-read the email in order to reply to your question and it was somewhat confusing.  But it appears the 2.6 is still available as they attached an updated dealer price list with it included.

Sorry for the confusion.

- Jim

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2007, 01:48 pm »
i yust recently installed a deqx pdc2.6 in place of my marchand outboard x-over.  i have one word to say about it:  WOW.  it really opens up the soundstaging.  i cannot hear anything bad that it does - everything is there - detail, warmth, timbre, dynamics...  nothing at all harsh, etched, etc. - things one might be worried about w/digital dsp.

i have only one issue with it - due to its nature of eq'ing your speakers, & then your room, it's more of a hassle to simply swap out gear.  i have a few different speakers, & i like to change 'em sometimes, but this means i am gonna have to eq them individually, & then eq the room w/them in the system.  but, now that i have figured out how to use the deqx, it shouldn't take that much time.  but, i still need to do it, for four-five other speakers i wanna try in my rig.  and, you also have a similar issue with swapping out amps, but not as big a deal - you just have to make sure the sensitivity of different amps is compensated for if you are bi-amping or tri-amping.

i was hoping to have some folks from the mid-atlantic circle over for a listen, but i think i need to eq s'more speakers first; i have only had the deqx up & running on one pair of speakers for ~2 weeks now.  but it is awesome!   aa  even with this vintage mitsubishi da-a10 solid state amp i have been testing out, in lieu of my usual mesa baron.   :green:

doug s.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:12 pm »
I was talking to Jonathan Weiss (of Oswaldmill) who is a big triode/vintage horn fanatic.  He mentioned to me that he heard it inserted in a system compared to a straight wire and it was "transparent".  Coming from a SET aficionado--who usually freak out about adding CCSs in the cathodes of tube stages, fearing it will add a SS sound to their amp--this is big praise.

Doug, did you get the preamp version or just the base model?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:34 pm »
hi josh,

i yust got the base model.  i still am not ready to part w/the sonics & versatility of my modded-to-the-gills melos ma333r preamp.

i am glad to hear what your friend says, re: set/tubes/horns, etc.  my next eq project is with two pairs of fostex fe-103 drivers, mounted in li'l pioneer boxes, that i am gonna run triamped, two per side, with a pair of pioneer/tad super-tweeters on top (flat from 5khz-100khz), and my vmps larger subs on the bottom.  x-over point between the fostex's & tweets will be ~12khz, (unless others have any suggestions?)    subs will be crossed at 80hz.  modded almarro a205a mkll will drive the fostex's; an as-yet undecided home-brew or vintage set will drive the supertweets, & my electrocompaniet amps will be driving my subs, as usual.  mebbe this weekend, i will get around to it.   aa

doug s.

I was talking to Jonathan Weiss (of Oswaldmill) who is a big triode/vintage horn fanatic.  He mentioned to me that he heard it inserted in a system compared to a straight wire and it was "transparent".  Coming from a SET aficionado--who usually freak out about adding CCSs in the cathodes of tube stages, fearing it will add a SS sound to their amp--this is big praise.

Doug, did you get the preamp version or just the base model?

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:41 pm »
Cool man!  Based on my experience with TacT, I don't think you'll have to do too much measuring/EQing for different components, as the FR won't change too much between gears.

Have fun, that's a really neat toy!   :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:46 pm »
you're right - only balancing the level between hi-pass & low-pass is needed, for amp switching.  the measuring/eq'ing is for speaker switching!   :wink:

doug s.
Cool man!  Based on my experience with TacT, I don't think you'll have to do too much measuring/EQing for different components, as the FR won't change too much between gears.

Have fun, that's a really neat toy!   :thumb:

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:48 pm »
The TacT sweeps ran full range for the subs and full range for the mains.  After getting those, you could set the XO properties and know the system accounted for whatever scenario you were running.

Your new baby probably does something similar.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:56 pm »
I've had the DEQX for a long while now and I confess that I've never used it's potential yet because my speaker project hasn't been finished.  :oops:  But I've read on the deqx forum (email type) that there are something like 9 eq presets.  I'd think you could set up a preset for each speaker, at least some mentioned doing multiple speakers this way.  Then if you swap, you choose one of the presets. 

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2007, 04:16 pm »
The PCD3 will be available in a few formats with and without built-in amplifiers.

The last they told me is that it will be available in January and pricing should be out within a few weeks.

-Paul

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:30 pm »
The TacT sweeps ran full range for the subs and full range for the mains.  After getting those, you could set the XO properties and know the system accounted for whatever scenario you were running.

Your new baby probably does something similar.
exactly - i yust need to run sweeps w/my other main speakers...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:35 pm »
The PCD3 will be available in a few formats with and without built-in amplifiers.

The last they told me is that it will be available in January and pricing should be out within a few weeks.

-Paul
i emailed deqx several months ago about the pdc3, & they told me its projected retail price was $5k, & that it would not be offered w/o a preamp.  so, i was happy to pick up my pdc2.6 used, w/complete mic & software package for $1800 shipped...  i was considering a tubed 3-way marchand xm126, but i really wanted to do the active speaker & room eq thing.  so far, i have not been disappointed.  the piega p5 mkll ltd's that i have been listening to recently, sounded great before, now, they sound great+...   :wink:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:39 pm »
you can set up different software folders, w/four different settings for each folder (or three plus bypass.)  you can download a different folder onto the pdc when you switch out speakers.  once the speaker stuff is measured & loaded onto your computer, it takes only a minute to download the stuff from computer to pdc...  then, you can select between one of the four different folder settings for the speaker you're using.  (ie:  you could have different x-over point or slope, different eq setting, different wolume level, etc., for each of the four settings per folder.)

doug s.

I've had the DEQX for a long while now and I confess that I've never used it's potential yet because my speaker project hasn't been finished.  :oops:  But I've read on the deqx forum (email type) that there are something like 9 eq presets.  I'd think you could set up a preset for each speaker, at least some mentioned doing multiple speakers this way.  Then if you swap, you choose one of the presets. 

fu_man

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2007, 02:16 am »
The DEQX  looks like  a  very good  way to finish off  my speaker  building  project which has  been underway for over  1 year now...!  But  the  entry  price is  beyond  me.

Is  the  PDC3 a replacement for the  2.6?  And therefore might we  expect to see  more  2.6 models  coming onto the used market for prices tags  around  $1800?

webnick

« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:05 pm »

Is  the  PDC3 a replacement for the  2.6?  And therefore might we  expect to see  more  2.6 models  coming onto the used market for prices tags  around  $1800?

The 3 might be a replacement but DEQX is not saying that directly - the 3 will have everything the 2.6 has and be a in bigger case to allow for the insertion of Class D amp modules so that you could have preamp, speaker correction, room correction and amplification in one box.  There is some information on their website and elsewhere.  Its to be introduced at CEDIA. 

Right now there is a 'sale' on 2.6s, the standard calibration kit is now free.

DEQX

« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:26 am »
Hi all,

Just a quick note to confirm that the PDC-2.6 & PDC-2.6P is an ongoing product and not directly replace by any model in the new range due early 2008 :D.

For more information contact DEQX direct at sales @ deqx.com (remove spaces)

Regards

Alan
DEQX Pty Ltd